Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Cycling Goals.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

1. Cycle outside
    2. Learn how to cycle around corners again
    3. Go on a Club Spin and not kill anyone (see 2)
    4. Cycle anywhere but up and down the Ballycorus Road
    5. Do an actual real live road race, on a road. With other people
    6. Get Dropped (see 5)
    7. Do a TT
    8. Remember why I hate TT's
    9. Skip the Boards Evil again
    10. Crew for our Club Team at the Race Around Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Macy0161 wrote: »
    No, probably 6th year without any breaks. A couple of years A4, went LC last year, decided to race again this year. Zwift racing re-ignited the competitive edge and most likely events to go ahead. I thought I may as well go M40, so unless that's the trigger? Or Maybe they're using Zwift Power :D

Complete guess - M40 will make you eligible to compete in National Champs, which you can't do as an A4, so you've been bumped up to A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

1. Beat La Marmotte time in June if it goes ahead.
    2. Recover from Covid and hope for no long term issues
    3. Cycle 7000km+ this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

1. Get back on a bike
    2. Dont crash
    3. Do stocking lane -> kippure in under 1hr (current best 1h4m)
    4. Do WAAR if its happening
    5. Get a few spins in a warm country in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Cycle somewhere other than my Kitchen or the Phoenix Park
    Get back out to Wicklow and then curse the whole way up the climbs to the Gaps.
    Explore new roads in Dublin, always tend to head for Wicklow so head more North\West at some point when we're allowed

Distance targets - aiming for 12k (hit 11 this year so always push it)

Any probably buy a new bike - due to a CTW scheme

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so, last day of the first half of the year, am at 2,496km. can't complain too much considering the lockdown for the first few months. assuming no more lockdowns, hoping to maybe get to 6k for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

I set a goal for 3000, based on previous years it would have been a good year. Half way now and I have 2643 done.

Getting better at just taking the opportunity and going. Not waiting for a 3 hour window when an hour will do!

Might adjust the goal..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

4600km which is more than.ever. I'll likely do a little less here on though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

At 4,268 km for 6 months having had over 4 weeks off due to back issues. Set target of 8,500 km so am still on target. Doing pilates class once a week to help eith my back , fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

2157 out of a goal of 5000. May and June were disappointing totals due to a weekend away in each and missing another weekend due to a cold, would have been on track otherwise. I've been consistent with weekend spins almost since January with a few turbo sessions on the worst weekends, probably fewer weeknights than I would have liked, and absolutely nothing from commuting or just going somewhere. Will try to get two 550/600km months in and then I'll almost be back on track for Sept-Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

5,633kms for me.
    Starting to get back into the swing of things.
    I've also given up sugar in my coffee and have lost 8kgs since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Hit one of my goals last weekend.For the last few years I've wanted to cycle 100kms at an average of 25kph but could never manage it. But last Sunday I did a spin of133kms @25.8kph, so happy with that.

Hit 3000 kms for the first six months with an 86km spin yesterday so I'm on track to hit my goal of 5000 for the year.

Oh yeah and I've lost about 23kgs in weight since Jan and although I didn't list losing a bit as a goal for this year 'I'm delighted with it. This is probably the main reason for the 25.8 last sunday. ðŸ˜

Oh, I've also gotten up Kippure faster than before, and stocking lane, and both times on a heavier bike than I'd previously used. This is all quite recent. I've bagged a few KoMs this year and importantly cleared the head a lot when out.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

grouchyman wrote: »

Oh yeah and I've lost about 23kgs in weight since Jan

That’s fantastic going. Can’t have been easy I’d say. Fair play!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    5,633kms for me.
    Starting to get back into the swing of things.
    I've also given up sugar in my coffee and have lost 8kgs since Christmas.

I found the 8kg you lost and someone else's too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still haven't put my race licence to use - bottled out of the club open race, but really enjoying the club league* and have a few pencilled in for later this month. Was actually planning mondello for next week, but 2nd dose tomorrow and first laid me low for a few day.

*when you ask me a little while after the finish, not immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

grouchyman wrote: »
    I've lost about 23kgs in weight since Jan
    :eek: That is some achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Mid Term Report

70kg - found a pair of the kgs I lost (they were lurking in some chocolate bars and wine glasses). So back to 74kg (from 79) but heading in the right direction again.

3w/kg - seems elusive at the minute, stuck at 2.6 ; need to do some structured mid week work to improve

7,000km - 2,300km so far (which might account for where I am on 1 & 2 above!). Probably wont make it, so may 5,000 for the year is reasonable at this stage

but...

First 100k in a long time last week, slowly increasing 10 - 30 min w/kg (hopefully 60min will start to head upwards too), and starting to get out mid week a bit more

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm at 3300km against a 6000 target. I've been struggling to lose the 6+ kilos I put on since November, but it's beginning to feel like I'm getting somewhere now. It's hard though, and I'm always only a bottle of Rosie's Pale Ale and a bag of crisps away from a slippery slope

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

this.lad wrote: »
    I set a goal for 3000, based on previous years it would have been a good year. Half way now and I have 2643 done.

Getting better at just taking the opportunity and going. Not waiting for a 3 hour window when an hour will do!

Might adjust the goal..

I also picked up 2 koms on climbs this year which, to date, remain intact.

KOM auto corrected to say I picked up two Moms but alas my days of picking up anything, with or without child, are behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Due to no commuting, I’m doing about half the kilometres of pre-covid, but more leisure cycling which is nice. Ticked Dingle Peninsula off my Wild Atlantic Way bucket list. 2500km done so far, so might get to 5k for the year, had been closer to 9k in recent years. Would like to do Tralee to Galway section of WAW over 4 days if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Surprised to find I'm on target to get to 10k again this year despite the earlier Covid restrictions. Looks like all those circuits of the Phoenix Park paid off. Now relying on very enjoyable club spins twice a week to keep the milage ticking over with occasional solo spins to the mountains. Really miss sportives and the odd week abroad but happy to have avoided the dreaded C-19 and stay reasonably fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dropped 4kg since Christmas, just crossed the 4000km. Been finding it a bit tricky to adapt to some new medication I'm on, my diesel effort is fine but quick acceleration and recovery has fallen off a cliff. Proof in the pudding, I knocked 40 seconds off my club 16km TT but am often swinging out the back of the Sunday morning spin.
    I've gotten up the hills a few times, need to get some more in. Got my Reservoir Dog ticket. Might make a stab at the Evil although I might also fail miserably inside the first 100km.
    Above all, really really really enjoying the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    That’s fantastic going. Can’t have been easy I’d say. Fair play!
    ARX wrote: »
    :eek: That is some achievement!

Thanks folks.

Funnily enough I didn't find it too hard actually. Looking at it now with the benefit of hindsight, It was a bit like how I gave up the smoking back in 1990, i.e. spending time getting my head into the place where I gradually accepted that I needed to do something about not smoking anymore, funnily enough when I finally reached the decision to quit, it had nothing to do with my health but I wanted a car, and the money I’d save from giving up smoking was the only way I could come up with the money to afford a car.

Within the club I ride with the leisure group, and over the course of 2020 I gradually accepted that I needed to do something about my weight, and again it was nothing to do with the health benefits of losing weight, rather, I could see the impact the extra kgs were having on my efforts to improve on the bike in that I could keep up with the group on the flat but once we had any bit of climbing to do I fell back, and I spent a good bit of time struggling to catch up. I realised that I would more than likely never reach my goals on the bike (however modest they were) without actually losing a few kgs.

So by the time last Christmas came around I had reached the point where I was ready to do something.

What I did was (a) take up regular walking – I walk most days, (b) give up the sweet sugary stuff (chocolate, cakes, biscuits, etc.). When I gave up smoking in 1990 I developed a ferocious sweet tooth, one that I have to this day. TBH I still treat myself to a slice of cake (oxford lunch is a particular favourite) and a Marietta biscuit, but the chocolate is by and large gone, and (c) watch my portion size for meals.

That’s about it really – regular exercise and calories in vs calories out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How are people doing?

I will probably just about hit 4000km this year again. I was almost on track for my 5000km goal after a big month in July but left on holiday for 3 weeks and didn't manage to touch a bike in that time and never really got back into it since, every second or third week at best and I'm in terrible shape now.

On a positive side my net spend is close to zero in spite of buying anything I wanted and having a fleet I can't get enough time to ride (funded by selling off stuff), max spin up to 150km, and had some great rides, particularly gravel which now makes up almost all of my solo spins.

Aside from no commuting at all, I think the problem was not having any targets (events etc) to train towards, just going for a distance target isn't motivating at all.

Next year main aim is to get some shape back very early in the year, probably by getting back on Zwift, and then try one event per month for March - July at least, including at least one longer gravel ride

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hoping to hit 6.5k before the year is out, but will be lucky to. originally started hoping for 8k, but the lockdowns earlier in the year put paid to that.

Still working from home and still will be well into the new year so I'll carry on as I have been this year cycling more often but over shorter distances and to be honest I actually enjoy it more and feel better for it. I've been using my lunch and breaks and heading out during the working day and nabbing the youngest from pre-school on the way back. Breaks up the day nicely and if I don't cycle I'll head out for a walk.

I'm the same as @CantGetNoSleep a distance target means nothing to me but a round number does so I'll have to get my skates on to get to the 5k for the year. Only about 100km away from it so will make that up easy over the next week.

At June's end I was on for 9-10k, but I've gradually done less since then. I managed 1200 that month and maybe cracked 700 once since.

Bailed out of the evil 200 as I had nothing in my legs too early for which i will conveniently blame the vaccination 3 days earlier.

Got up kilmashogue even accounting for a chain slip on first go. Got up kippure with what felt like relatively low effort.

Made it to the reservoir dog thanks to some boardsie help, and got around it in one piece.

Got a few KoMs, lost some.

Said goodbye to my favourite bike that, but it was replaced by a super genesis at least.

Might just tip over 8k but I'm not sure how much I'll bother doing (though picking up another new to me one tomorrow)

I'll have a sram, Shimano and campag stable of bikes now too.

Was going well until early September and got a severe bout of vertigo that lasted 7 weeks . Started back early Nov..gingerly ..just shy of 7,000 km at the moment so will end up with just over 7,000km unless i do a really impressive Rapha 533.60 kms to hit 7,500 km.....highly unlikely .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

9000kms and 80,000m climbing for me, not bad considering we were locked in till April and I broke my foot in October. Cycled a week in Spain and week out west too so apart from not buying the new bike its been a successful year. Mad to think it hasn't even been a year since being put in the back of a garda van for cycling to Howth from Stoneybatter one snowy Sunday morning in early January and 100km jaunts in the phoeinx park. Looks like it'll be back to that next month again now too

Advertisement