Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Cycling Goals.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

dahat wrote: »
    Sold the TCR? How much for out of curiosity?
    Looked at it a few times aas it would have made a great training / winter bike.

Tcr was an unlucky bike for me

2200 the whole shebang

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Tcr was an unlucky bike for me

2200 the whole shebang

Did you have a fall ? Only noticing that your daily all weather commute is not happening. Was off strava myself for a period recently while injured so hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Simple aim, get back on the bike, and maybe buy a new bike.
    With building the house, 3 kids under 6 and many other excuses I can think of, I've done nothing for 2 years. Maybe join the local club so motivate myself again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Truly horrible 2020 for myself as well with bereavement, various family stuff and of course the lock-downs. I reckon 2021 can only be better. Goals
    • 6,000K of distance and 100K of up, look like getting 5,000K and 85K this year so pretty much rinse and repeat allowing for a bit more bike time.
    • Had a first go of the blue runs in the GAP just before the current lock down with a close friend, loved it and plan to make this a regular event. Would love to get some basic competency on an MTB and may just invest in a decent mountain bike if it looks like I'm keeping this up.
    • Get a 200k in, ideally an on and off road audax like the three aqueducts. Also try and get back to Mayo for the MTB/Gravel half audax which was great craic (don't reckon I'd get the full 200k finished), and maybe one or two similar events.
    • Get a solo 100k - 150k in most weekends during the late Spring, Summer and Autumn, ideally with a good amount of gravel / light off-road thrown in.

secman wrote: »
    Did you have a fall ? Only noticing that your daily all weather commute is not happening. Was off strava myself for a period recently while injured so hadn't noticed.

the commute had stopped with covid and wasn't travelling to town. unfortunately separately i broke my hip out around Blessington in late August. was on the TCR and hit a speed bump as I was changing gears, lost the handlebars and straight down in a heap on my lhs. well enough to ride the turbo now for the time being and slowly building the fitness and mobility back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

the commute had stopped with covid and wasn't travelling to town. unfortunately separately i broke my hip out around Blessington in late August. was on the TCR and hit a speed bump as I was changing gears, lost the handlebars and straight down in a heap on my lhs. well enough to ride the turbo now for the time being and slowly building the fitness and mobility back up.

Ah sorry to hear that, hopefully you are on the mend.

secman wrote: »
    Ah sorry to hear that, hopefully you are on the mend.

thanks J. appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

Sorry to hear that, hope the rehab is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've decided on an overall goal of 5000km with no other goals, and promised the wife a net spend target of zero

(she doesn't realise that I sold a set of unused DT Swiss wheels for 1100€ today, and that I've a gravel bike waiting to be built up and sold off so that will get me enough to buy bits and pieces here and there). Finally happy with the fleet, Giant TCR is the good bike, Cannondale Synapse disc now equipped with full mudguards for winter, and a Genesis Croix de Fer 853 that will be finished in the next week for gravel and possible bike packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't how I could possibly replicate 2020 in terms of consistency and consecutive days of training. When schools closed in March, all the way through to mid August I basically trained 2 out of every 3 days.
    For the moment my 2021 goal is to take delivery of my shaggin Bowman frame I ordered early 12 months ago, get it built up and ride the damn thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

1. Annual Goal: 12000+k
    2. Cycle somewhere other than Ireland( preferably Majorca)
    3. Participate in more than one club league race.
    4. Participate in one or more IVCA race.
    5. Participate in at least one Sportive in Ireland.
    6. Participate in a foreign Sportive (Amstel Gold would be nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not playing this year, at least until I see how the next few months go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Pointless having any plans or goals in the current environment. The only goal really is to get out more on the road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭nilhg

My youngsters bought me a rack and a set of Ortleib back roller panniers for Christmas ( I always had a sneaking suspicion they wanted to get rid of me ;)), I'd quite like to get a chance to test them out when the Covid situation permits, so goal 1 is a bikepacking trip somewhere.

Apart from that, things are so much up in the air that it's hard to pick any thing to aim at, I suppose goal 2 would be to be in decent enough condition to do myself justice whenever the IVCA or the local club league starts.

I bought a secondhand CX bike back in June mainly because I wanted to try more offroad stuff and new gravel bikes were impossible to get, even though I've been mostly confined to the local area I've got great use out of it, am loving the bog roads and canal banks, so goal 3 would be to expand my range a bit, some hilly gravel would be nice and maybe to upgrade to a "proper" gravel bike (with mounts for the rack for the bit of bikepacking)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I did 2500 km in 2020, which isn't a lot for most around here, but I was happy enough.
    2021 I hope to add at least another 1,000.
    This is the first year i cycled all year round, i previously used rollers in bad weather, and hope to continue this again this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bring my still pretty new Genesis Tour de Fer on some type of very long overnighter somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Goal for me most years is 10,000km and 100,000m of climbing. Despite the lock downs etc still managed 9k and 80k respectively on the open road in 2020. Hope to cycle in Spain or France this year though I'm not so optimistic we'll be getting this covid thing under wraps anytime soon. However I'm 40 this year and I'm giving myself a new bike, so I'm very much looking forward to that, hopefully have it out west for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Keep it simple; Get out and cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Renewed my CI Licence, and decided to go for a racing one. Selected M40 and it appears to have given me an A3!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Renewed my CI Licence, and decided to go for a racing one. Selected M40 and it appears to have given me an A3!?! :eek:

First license?

• Advertisement

First license?
    No, probably 6th year without any breaks. A couple of years A4, went LC last year, decided to race again this year. Zwift racing re-ignited the competitive edge and most likely events to go ahead. I thought I may as well go M40, so unless that's the trigger? Or Maybe they're using Zwift Power :D

Yeah I’d say M40 triggered the A3 option maybe. I’d say all we will have is Zwift racing for a few months so at least.

Yeah I’d say M40 triggered the A3 option maybe. I’d say all we will have is Zwift racing for a few months so at least.
    Renewed a few weeks ago when things weren't looking so bad. I'll probably run with it and see how badly I get my head kicked in.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Renewed a few weeks ago when things weren't looking so bad. I'll probably run with it and see how badly I get my head kicked in.

Sprinting for 2 & 1 CI pts is mad craic. Still miss the buzz all the same as last year was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Some of these might not happen given Covid, but it might be good to have a few goals in mind for the year to have some sort of motivation:

1. 11k kms for the year
    2. boards evil full route complete
    3. quiet man 300km audax
    4. take more photos on cycles (something i rarely do)
    5. find a few new routes/roads
    6. cycling holiday (end of year option, back to spain maybe - probably a delusional idea though)
    7. think about doing a4 again..........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

2020 was my first year road cycling - took it up in March due to not being able to get to my usual MTB trails with lockdown restrictions.

Only a drop in the ocean to some peoples efforts here but I managed 3500kms. My cycling fitness has definitely improved since the first day up on the road bike.

2021 i'd love to get to 5000kms and possibly do the Ring of Kerry. A new bike is also needed as my entry level LaPierre has taken a right hammering over this winters cycling so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MisterSpaccato

I'm now at 237 W FTP with a body weight of 90kg (2.63 W/kg). The most important objective of the year will be to weigh less than 75kg. If i get there with enough time left over, i'll try to push my training to get above 4 W/kg, either by losing more weight or by pushing the training harder. The most difficult part will be to sort out my nutrition, i've been struggling with it for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Mizen to malin is my goal for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Hoping for 7k, 70kg and as close to 3w/kg as I can get. A sportif or two and a spin in a sunny country would be a welcome bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Amen to that. Just to meet the cycling community again when it's safe.

Advertisement