Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved into new flat. Living room smells of farts.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lay off the cabbage dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you any idea when the flat was last rented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Firstly, make sure you're not sitting too close to yourself. Also, try and find out whether the previous tenant left on good terms.

But seriously, contact the landlord. You're (presumably) paying them a lot of money every month and this should be their DIY problem, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Farts consist primarily of nitrogen, methane and hydrogen along with a significant amount of carbon dioxide. Farts can also be rich in sulfur, which the digestive system breaks down into compounds called sulfides. 

Presuming you're not suffering from a bad case of flatulence yourself OP. Then maybe check your drains and waste pipes for possible blockages or build up of organic matter and gases.

As a general treatment- get some soda Crystals and add a cup to your sink, toilet, shower drain etc.

If you have a washing machine - then check it and the drain as well.

Repeat at one weekly intervals and keep your flat well ventilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Following

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

The landlord would have not rented the place out with such a bad smell in it, the smell is most likely originating from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I had a problem with odour once in a property, it turned out that an access cover on a sewage pipe was taken off and stuffed with newspaper. I bought a correct wavin pipe cover for it in Woodies. The sewage pipe was had a wooden cover over it. Could this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Bad smells often follow construction work on a building especially where work has been done on sewers or anything that connects to a sewer, toilets, baths, WHBs etc. The builder/landlord is often unaware that there is a leak from the sewers before covering up the work and it can take a certain time for the smells to make their way through the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

.anon. wrote: »
    Firstly, make sure you're not sitting too close to yourself. Also, try and find out whether the previous tenant left on good terms.

But seriously, contact the landlord. You're (presumably) paying them a lot of money every month and this should be their DIY problem, not yours.

Check the curtain poles for rotting fish.

Was the smell there before the radiator was changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 facebeard

tphase wrote: »
    it's a real thing, I've had it happen. I reckon its caused by using bulbs that are too powerful for the fittings. A lot of lamp fittings are rated for 60W - in my house someone liked to use 100W or 125W bulbs, overheating the fittings and making them stink like piss and farts. Thankfully CFL and LED bulbs means those days are gone....

I with tphase, I had this a year or two back with an electrical wiring fault. The immersion switch was over heating, strong fishy smell,also with an old light and the plastic overheating.

https://www.gacservices.com/blog/outlet-smell-like-fish/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tphase wrote: »
    it's a real thing, I've had it happen. I reckon its caused by using bulbs that are too powerful for the fittings. A lot of lamp fittings are rated for 60W - in my house someone liked to use 100W or 125W bulbs, overheating the fittings and making them stink like piss and farts. Thankfully CFL and LED bulbs means those days are gone....

one of those round glass light fittings the plastic bit that holds the bulb and the glass bulb screws into just started stinking after 15 years ridiculously strong fishy smell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm just commenting on how the OP said in the very first post that he'd be proud of the smell if it really was from his own farts.

There's a man who appreciates the important things in life. :D:D

I have a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend that rented a place once.

They had a horrible smell in their sitting room, and they couldn't figure it out. So they bought a load of bottles of white vinegar in tesco and put them in a spray bottle. They doused every thing, specifically anything fabric, in white vinegar.

I was told the smell of white vinegar will overpower anything else for a day or two as it lingers around, but they said that when the smell of the white vinegar had passed, the other bad smells went with it.

Could be worth a shot.

Advertisement