Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved into new flat. Living room smells of farts.

Options
  • 16-11-2020 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I've been in this flat for almost a month now. Renting.

I thought it was some remnant of cleaning fluid or vinegar or whatever the landlord used to clean it. Then after a week I thought maybe it was the smell of the new paint, needs a few more days.

Now it's a month and every time I walk into my living room there's a strange smell. I think it smells like like farts. And it's not me. I'd proudly admit this if it was me. Also there's no gas line in the house.

So what can I do to track down this smell?

There is a sofa in the room. Fake suede material.

There's a bookshelf. There's a wooden tv stand and a coffee table. Floors are wooden. Walls are painted. No curtains. Just blinds.

Where the hell is the strange smell coming from? I've sniffed the sofa, but it smells ok.

I'm going insane. Any ideas?

There's a fresh coat of paint on the room. Does paint smell like farts for more than a month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Jackie; Is there a fishing tackle shop anywhere that might stock live baits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Have you checked inside the sofa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://inspectapedia.com/odor_diagnosis/Sulphur-Odor-Source-FAQs.php

"First let's see if the odor has to do with your water supply: if that were the case, you'd smell the odor when running hot, cold, or both at every plumbing fixture in the home."

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Then after a week I thought maybe it was the smell of the new paint, needs a few more days.

There's a fresh coat of paint on the room. Does paint smell like farts for more than a month?

My guess would be the paint used, I've read that gone off paint can smell like cat urine and very hard to get rid off even after re-painting. Could you contact landlord and ask what paint he used and where it was sourced, if it was stored for years in some shed that could be the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Walls rotten with damp. Tired to paint over it to hide

• Advertisement

Seriously check inside your sofa, cut it open if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Yes you may be right. How do I confirm this?
    Hqrry113 wrote: »
    Have you checked inside the sofa?

I haven't checked inside my sofa. I will do it though. What am I looking for? Black mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He can't cut open his landlord's sofa!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

He can't cut open his landlord's sofa!

Not with that attitude :pac:

Most likely the paint. Does it smell like stale air? Or.. how do I describe it, em, oh you know when clothes are left for a long time in a washing machine? Like way too long?

I used paint that was sitting a loooong time and there was a lingering stale smell for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Had the same issue, turned out was the glue on wood floors.

Had the same issue in a different apartment turned out to be the sofa (like many have said).

Lots of fresh air and keep the place cool, solved the issue but it took time in both cases.

• Advertisement

Danonino. wrote: »

you know when clothes are left for a long time in a washing machine? Like way too long?

I used paint that was sitting a loooong time and there was a lingering stale smell for quite a while.

What did you do to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Could be many things. However if it's a smell like rotten eggs you need to get the place checked out and also keep your windows open, as that is indicative of sewer gasses getting in through a dry or missing U-bend trap somewhere.

We had a situation like this in an apartment in Dublin and it turned out someone had installed a stand pipe for a washing machine, without a trap and it was letting gasses in from the sewage system in the apartment building.

The job was done as if they were connecting to a simple gully drain in a house. Whoever did it hadn't a clue about plumbing!

Yes you may be right. How do I confirm this?

I haven't checked inside my sofa. I will do it though. What am I looking for? Black mould?

I'm winding you up man don't cut open your sofa haha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Smelly paint won't disappear. For months or perhaps never. A bad paint will hum the place out.

If it was newly painted that's the first place I would point the finger.

Give three coats of a brand new bargain basement white and see if it solves the problem . Then can paint whatever colour match it was meant to be

I think I need one of those experts from TV to come in and check the state of my house. Who can I call for a quick check of the room? A painter decorator?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have a look at the light fitments. You occasionally get a bulb holder that has perished and there is a smell off them like bad fish.

looksee wrote: »
    Have a look at the light fitments. You occasionally get a bulb holder that has perished and there is a smell off them like bad fish.

Before I go mussing with the light fitment, is this a real thing? I feel like this is one of jokes like "glass hammer" or "long stand".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Before I go mussing with the light fitment, is this a real thing? I feel like this is one of jokes like "glass hammer" or "long stand".

It is. Google smelly light fitting.

I would move the sofa out of the room. Either the smell will come with you, in which case ditch the sofa, or it won't, in which case you can sit in the hallway without the smelly living room bothering you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is a thing but generally attributed to quite old light fittings.

Have you considered however if your intake of guinness might be high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hmph! :D Its definitely a thing, I spent ages trying to track down a horrible smell in a room and that was what it turned out to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Could be a dead mouse stuck somewhere. Their stink lasts for months. Check around pipes that get red hot that's where I had one under floorboards before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Or could be a scuttery jocks in the couch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Can you post a pic of the smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Pick up the couch and shake it, does it sound like theres a poo in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm winding you up man don't cut open your sofa haha

Turn it upside and cut into the underside. A neat cut on one side won't be noticed. You'll be able to get a good look inside to see if there is anything that could be causing the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

KaneToad wrote: »
    Turn it upside and cut into the underside. A neat cut on one side won't be noticed. You'll be able to get a good look inside to see if there is anything that could be causing the smell.
    From the op
    Where the hell is the strange smell coming from? I've sniffed the sofa, but it smells ok.
    So by a process of elimination they have excluded the sofa.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you renting? Have you mentioned it to the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Could you move stuff out of the room, could you stand the sofa in the hallway for a day?

Start eliminating objects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Pick up the couch and shake it, does it sound like theres a poo in there?

This man has the most credible theory in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

What did you do to fix it?

I remember buying a smelly candle and airing the place but..... I also remember repainting the room :/

Advertisement