Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know anyone in Ireland who has taken in refugees?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

At the height of the refugee crisis around 2015, millionaire celebs like Bob Geldof and JK Rowling sought media attention by loudly proclaiming how they were going to take in refugee families. They never did, as far as I know. Similar proclamations were made by many pro-refugee Irish commentators on social media and discussion fora. Do you know anyone who adopted any refugees or was it all merely virtue signaling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

coinop wrote: »
    At the height of the refugee crisis around 2015, millionaire celebs like Bob Geldof and JK Rowling sought media attention by loudly proclaiming how they were going to take in refugee families. They never did, as far as I know. Similar proclamations were made by many pro-refugee Irish commentators on social media and discussion fora. Do you know anyone who adopted any refugees or was it all merely virtue signaling?

Of course it was all virtue signalling. That's what people like that do, or they get fully behind such things secure in the knowledge they won't have to live with the consequences anyway as the "refugees" won't be living beside them anyway.

Besides, it's unnecessary as the latest (ridiculous) proposal is to do away with DP and give them all "own door" accommodation instead.

Not quite sure where this sudden glut of apartments and housing is going to come from (unless the plan is still to have Councils buy up any private property that comes onto the market), but I'm sure the taxpayer will end up footing the bill for it and their welfare costs either way, to say nothing of the social issues it'll likely represent down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it was all a sham, was always going to be. This drive to house these migrants was always just the upper middle and academic classes and the usual millionaire celebrities riding roughshod over the working class and rural dwellers.

People living in upper middle class suburbs and leafy parts of cities have absolutely no right to have a say in whether these migrants come in or not. They'll never ever have to live or work near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

I wonder how many of the "whatabout the homeless" types, whenever the subject of refugees comes up, on here have taken in homeless people. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Of course it was all virtue signalling. That's what people like that do, or they get fully behind such things secure in the knowledge they won't have to live with the consequences anyway as the "refugees" won't be living beside them anyway.

Besides, it's unnecessary as the latest (ridiculous) proposal is to do away with DP and give them all "own door" accommodation instead.

Not quite sure where this sudden glut of apartments and housing is going to come from (unless the plan is still to have Councils buy up any private property that comes onto the market), but I'm sure the taxpayer will end up footing the bill for it and their welfare costs either way, to say nothing of the social issues it'll likely represent down the line.

Id imagine the own door accomadation is going to be provided by all these so called aparthotels that are springing up all over the city. Washing machines, dishwashers and hobs in all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wonder how many of the "whatabout the homeless" types, whenever the subject of refugees comes up, on here have taken in homeless people. ;)

those people are just as bad. However I do think it is more legitimate to campaign for social housing to be built exclusively for Irish people than to campaign for it for migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember when a number of boardsie said they were going to take asylum seekers in to their homes.

I believe they were all bull****ting for likes

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

How many of the "take care of our own first" have gone and taken care of "their own"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where are the "where are the what about all the homeless brigade" brigade?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I did the Trocaire box in my school days and I'll be damned if I'm doing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Gatling wrote: »
    I remember when a number of boardsie said they were going to take asylum seekers in to their homes.

I believe they were all bull****ting for likes

I remember JoeytheParrot was going to take some in.

Jesus poor Hassan and Muhammad having to get to grips with the terms CIS males and all that bollox they'd be demanding to go back to a crater in Damascus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Erm you are not allowed to 'adopt ' refugees.

I think it would open the door to people trafficking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Granadino wrote: »
    How many of the "take care of our own first" have gone and taken care of "their own"?

None I'd say.

I know people here in the UK who helped out with refugees. Even knew a young Tory who went over to volunteer in Calais.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes I know someone who took a person in until they got set up. I also know people who volunteered at camps in Calais and Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I remember JoeytheParrot was going to take some in.

Jesus poor Hassan and Muhammad having to get to grips with the terms CIS males and all that bollox they'd be demanding to go back to a crater in Damascus :pac:

Good point. The 'please don't rape the native population' classes haven't exactly been a success so the finer points of intersectionality and gender affirmation are probably going to be lost on them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I know people here in the UK who helped out with refugees. Even knew a young Tory who went over to volunteer in Calais.

I also know plenty of middle class lefty college types who volunteered in Africa for the Summer building houses and taking plenty of selfies with brown children for Instagram. The houses were knocked down after they departed back to Ireland for the next plane load of virtue signalers to play make-believe at changing the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Maybe start by asking is it legal possible to do so? I’m most familiar with the situation here in Switzerland and it would not be realistic to expect to be able to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I also know plenty of middle class lefty college types who volunteered in Africa for the Summer building houses and taking plenty of selfies with brown children for Instagram. The houses were knocked down after they departed back to Ireland for the next plane load of virtue signalers to play make-believe at changing the world.

Can you provide a link please? Would be interested for a news article.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Can you provide a link please? Would be interested for a news article.

A link for what? Anecdotes about acquaintance in my personals life? Sorry I don't go around wearing a wire discretely recording all my conversations. The volunteer in Africa scam for white lefties with more money than brains is well-known. https://drshem.com/2013/10/01/pay-to-volunteers-a-sad-state-of-affairs-in-africa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Very few people work charity for legit reasons.

50 per cent of people are pure hordible. Most of them work in charity.

46 Long wrote: »
    The 'please don't rape the native population' classes haven't exactly been a success so the finer points of intersectionality and gender affirmation are probably going to be lost on them too.

Wow, I thought you were exaggerating for comedic effect but Norway actually holds classes to teach migrants not to rape. I laughed at the sight of the Arabs diligently taking notes at these new revelations that rape is wrong. I feel like we are now living in a clown world where everyone is insane except me. If you have to teach someone how to interact with a white woman without raping them, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed in the country? Going to be hard for the refugees welcome crowd to justify this one. But they're probably already aware of the reality of the situation which is why they don't want to house refugees in their own home and have them around their own daughters. Do as I say, not as I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Granadino wrote: »
    here here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

A link for what? Anecdotes about acquaintance in my personals life? Sorry I don't go around wearing a wire discretely recording all my conversations. The volunteer in Africa scam for white lefties with more money than brains is well-known. https://drshem.com/2013/10/01/pay-to-volunteers-a-sad-state-of-affairs-in-africa/

That is horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

here here

Where, where ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yes I do know someone who has take in syrians, yes they are involved in 'taking care of our own' the person is no middle-class liberal lefty either. I would say its more there but for the grace of God that made them do it.

The person they got was polite, hard-working got a job, started paying rent, and eventually moved in with other Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I remember the Irish Times ran a high profile article in a single woman living in a beautiful house
    overlooking the seafront on Clontarf who put her name down online to help house refugees and a year later was dropped off a heavily bearded single muslim man to share her house with.

There have been some high profile cases in Sweden where in similar idealistic goodwill projects existing children in the household have been horrifically murdered, raped and in another instance a horrifying beheading.

Ask a single muslim man to move in with a single woman and share - whomever organised and agreed to this needs their head examined.

Luckily it seems most dogioders have more sense.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Yes I do know someone who has take in syrians, yes they are involved in 'taking care of our own' the person is no middle-class liberal lefty either. I would say its more there but for the grace of God that made them do it.

The person they got was polite, hard-working got a job, started paying rent, and eventually moved in with other Syrians.

And created by Enid Blyton ...

I remember the Irish Times ran a high profile article in a single woman living in a beautiful house
    overlooking the seafront on Clontarf who put her name down online to help house refugees and a year later was dropped off a heavily bearded single muslim man to share her house with.

There have been some high profile cases in Sweden where in similar idealistic goodwill projects existing children in the household have been horrifically murdered, raped and in another instance a horrifying beheading.

Ask a single muslim man to move in with a single woman and share - whomever organised and agreed to this needs their head examined.

Luckily it seems most dogioders have more sense.

Remember the woman down in Kent or somewhere, agreed to take in an unaccompanied minor - bloke was 30 if he was a day, assaulted her daughter (if memory serves, young girl anyway) and she had a devil of a job getting rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

mariaalice wrote: »

This is the same one that the Irish Times featured. Surprising that it announces that he had a top of the range phone and was walking around her house facetiming the interior to all his family back home.

Lots of articles on the bbc & other media on rapes and stAtistics re afghani and syrian male refugees and their re-settled male relations and the male children families. Frightening stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

This is the same one that the Irish Times featured. Surprising that it announces that he had a top of the range phone and was walking around her house facetiming the interior to all his family back home.

Lots of articles on the bbc & other media on rapes and stAtistics re afghani and syrian male refugees and their re-settled male relations and the male children families. Frightening stuff.
    I would describe that man as 'bearded' rather than heavily bearded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement