Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like sheep unable to think, speak or act for thenselves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ironically, those who use the term "sheep" to describe others are the ones most likely to be taken in by bullsh*t
    or sheep ****

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I'm a sheep coated wolf with contrarian filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I've a few facebook friends who like to call people "sheep", whilst they themselves "follow" thick fcukwits, who think they're radical intellectuals who look down on "normies".

Bunch of waankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It depends on the situation.

I'm not a 9 to 5 type of person but I dont think that makes me some sort of enlightened philosopher figure.
    I also dont feel a need to have a go at what is termed 'regular people' - I'm secure enough to have a different outlook without denigrating a way of life I don't live myself.
    However there will always be people who dont like me because I'm not like them. I think they see it as if I'm rebelling against what they hold sacred. When in fact I'm just living my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your Face wrote: »
    It depends on the situation.

I'm not a 9 to 5 type of person but I dont think that makes me some sort of enlightened philosopher figure.
    I also dont feel a need to have a go at what is termed 'regular people' - I'm secure enough to have a different outlook without denigrating a way of life I don't live myself.
    However there will always be people who dont like me because I'm not like them. I think they see it as if I'm rebelling against what they hold sacred. When in fact I'm just living my life.

Such poise and balance!

• Advertisement

I love lamb chops- does that count?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Two pages in and not an original thought in sight! Maybe the OP is right! ;)

AH posters have a tradition to treat such threads with the distain they so rightly deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

unable to think, speak or act for thenselves (sic)

a University of Illinois monograph on sheep reported their intelligence to be just below that of pigs and on par with that of cattle.

think ... yes
    speak ... baa, baa, baa
    act ... nativity play every Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

How many of your 26 posts on boards have been completely original thoughts of yours? From the looks of it, absolutely none of them, does that make you a sheep by your own description?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

You've also got Shepard's who try to tell everyone what they should be thinking, saying and following...

Check out the Trump derangement syndrome and the followers of a guy with supposed dementia with the possibility of his fingers on the button...

Look at all the idiot's triggered by the original post and possibly mine too...

Count your cognition before it hatches, because today it could just turn on you and gobble gobble gobble...

Anyhow who gives a toss what people post on board's, looking at some posters they're sock puppets and love thanking each other...

Especially the people here years, who've progressed through the ranks and are now holding sway at the 5 points and loving it...
    I was here years ago and I'm yes a rereg and this place is peppered with keyboard warriors and people trying to be the moral Mary or Jimmy

Only joking it's a great place, especially the weather forum and maybe Christmas and music and movies etc

Bite me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Wouldn’t the world be better if everyone just focused on what they believe instead of trying to put other people in a box.

The danger with judging other people is that you end up making assumptions about the motivation for their thoughts and actions and simplifying them into something that fits with your world view which inevitably means you create a caricature of other people who are somehow morally and intellectually inferior to you.

You end up with ****e like “all Trump supporters are racist and sexist”, “everyone who votes Fianna Fáil are gombeen idiots”, “everyone who watches Love Island is someone who couldn’t tie their own shoelaces” etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I haven't had an original thought foisted on me for like, ever. My brain can only handle so much originality for a start. Life goes on whether my originality meter is on the low mark or not on any given day. Original folk like Kwame and Kim make me feel like I am part of a bigger hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Originality?
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

Common sense tells me that some things are either true or untrue. The new version of sheep are those who see a conspiracy in everything.

Embarrassingly they call other people sheeple.

Generally thick as **** and open to all sorts of basic manipulation.

Presented with the leading "facts" to run off and derive a stock emotionally laden opinion for themselves, all on their own...just like all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What has the OPs post count got to do with anything they posted?

I’ve noticed this an awful lot on boards and in general to be fair. People have a hard time focusing on what’s being said and instead focus more on who is saying it.

- “Honohan has such a big ego”. Really? How insightful!
    - “Brexiteers/Tump fans are stupid” Wow, that explains everything
    - “FF/FG are corrupt and ruin our country” silly me for thinking they represented the people who continually vote them into power.

At the heart of most peoples motives is self delusion, self serving ideals and a complete dereliction/acceptance of responsibility for anything negative that happens to them or others. It’s not that all things bad that happen is the fault of every individual but quite often in the big gripes of society , the majority absolve themselves of any responsibility for the role they play.

I wish critical thinking and self reflection was thought in school. I had to learn this skill outside of conventional learning mediums. One of the things I’m far more aware of is my own prejudices and inability for balance on topics at times. I’m aware of it but I suffer like everybody else. It’s no surprise that when you force conformist ideals on children from an early age , that there is a huge absence of critical thinking in the majority of the adult world.

Drumpot wrote: »
    People have a hard time focusing on what’s being said and instead focus more on who is saying it.

This is very true..People don't seem to be able to remember what someone said a week ago anymore either..They're all just repeating a narrative that they've been given..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

At the heart of most peoples motives is self delusion, self serving ideals and a complete dereliction/acceptance of responsibility for anything negative that happens to them or others. It’s not that all things bad that happen is the fault of every individual but quite often in the big gripes of society , the majority absolve themselves of any responsibility for the role they play.

I wish critical thinking and self reflection was thought in school.

1000%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anyone who uses the word sheeple needs putting down.

CountNjord wrote: »
    You've also got Shepard's who try to tell everyone what they should be thinking, saying and following...

But isn’t this generally the status quo of mass groups of people?

Can’t remember exactly what the percentages were but isn’t it usually something like there is a minor percentage of the population who may feel strongly a certain way on a topic and a minor who may feel the opposite and they are both vying for the in between who are apathetic or less interested on the topic.

Most people aren’t interested in delving deep into philosophical discussions on accepted “truths” of a society at any given period. We also like to think we won’t make the same mistakes as those before us and we are more intelligent but that’s a dangerously sad lie. You need only look at why right wing populism is on the rise and it boils down to complacency and ignoring the voices of the disillusioned. Letting people get so fed up they turn to very destructive people for alternative answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You would have to beat critical thinking into the teacher who slapped my hand when I did my clever armpit farts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This has always been tempered by a need to preserve the greater good. Those motives translated into actions would lead to the breakdown of society. Of course it does depend somewhat on what most and majority means. 51% would leave 49% who are selfless and civic spirited, but 90% would be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

We are all individuals !!

I'm not ;-)

This has always been tempered by a need to preserve the greater good. Those motives translated into actions would lead to the breakdown of society. Of course it does depend somewhat on what most and majority means. 51% would leave 49% who are selfless and civic spirited, but 90% would be serious.

Yeh, maybe In time of war you probably get close to 90% agreement as self preservation and national interests align. But if you get an aggressive 51% leaning one way , they can influence the majority of more apathetic supporters in the 49% to be less engaged which leads to a stronger majority nearly by proxy.

This COVID situation has been a fascinating event when looking at how different countries have approached its management and how peoples views on how we should manage it are influenced by their own personal bias. There’s a lot of confusion about what it would take to destroy our economy or force Ireland inc into bankruptcy, yet people believe it might happen and don’t try to work out if this is a reasonable worry to have. (It’s not)

Its just another form of self delusion but at a certain point society has and can get fed up to the point of adopting this view, look at public support for lockdowns in March , then in August and the more fragmented support a few weeks ago. We certainly look like NEPHET have done a decent job at the moment in comparison to many other euro countries. The level 5 lockdown wasn’t the most popular, but it seems like it was probably right in hindsight. How many people who were wrong , who complained about the restrictions at the time will reflect back and accept 100% that not only were they wrong but that they let their own priorities cloud the more appropriate decision to be made for the greater good?!

This is in part a reason why we are destined as a species to make the same mistakes over and over again. I feel the world as it is now is more vulnerable to a global war because we do not know what it’s like to be in one or how one Comes about. So this leads to apathy in the face of conflict (those people who think different to me , they are stupid). Which leads to complacency (ah it’s just Trump dividing the country, sure he’s just mad, things will go back to normal when he’s gone). And then to catastrophe (how did a pandemic end up all over the world, there were no warning signs ! ).

I’d say before many major global events, the populations had plenty of warnings that they didn’t heed. Will this be the last or worst pandemic of our generation? Global warming, solar flares , lack of food/resources... All these are abstract notions for most that will not come to pass because our lives are so conformed (and comfortable in western countries) that we can’t imagine how this could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

But isn’t this generally the status quo of mass groups of people?

Can’t remember exactly what the percentages were but isn’t it usually something like there is a minor percentage of the population who may feel strongly a certain way on a topic and a minor who may feel the opposite and they are both vying for the in between who are apathetic or less interested on the topic.

Most people aren’t interested in delving deep into philosophical discussions on accepted “truths” of a society at any given period. We also like to think we won’t make the same mistakes as those before us and we are more intelligent but that’s a dangerously sad lie. You need only look at why right wing populism is on the rise and it boils down to complacency and ignoring the voices of the disillusioned. Letting people get so fed up they turn to very destructive people for alternative answers.

You've made a lot of valid points and I totally respect that.

Like take me for example, I'm sane well educated and consider myself a bisexual man who's open about it amongst my friends and family.
    I can listen to jocks and locker room joke's and border line homophobia all day and it wouldn't knock a scratch off me, I've a work colleague who's a devout Catholic and he talks about the flat earth and damnation at least once a week.
    I respect his opinion, if he preaches to me I just have an open minded debate about it and say Johnny I'll never get to heaven.

I have encountered some really fcked up **** out in the wilderness at night, seen a Rake around a ringfort a rake is a demonic type of thing a horrible looking yolk looks like Golum from lord of the ring's.
    I've seen the bloody thing with my own eyes, I've a place somewhere else that I walk to and can't get there after dark as I get closer walking the energy absolutely drains from my body and I've no interest in some sceptic telling me it's the mind playing tricks.
    Another time I got lost in Moughan woods near Dromoland Castle and ended up at that ringfort, said fck it and walked in,it was if the whole universe turned inside out.
    I've flogged the Shoite out of it with my friend who's an out and out scientist and doesn't believe in these things untill science can prove it.
    But yet Patrick will not walk there at night or stay in a haunted castle "because he's afraid" I would no problem...
    He'll waffle on about how our old fight or flight mechanism will kick in and that's what causes our minds to see things etc ...

Now I've friends who are sensitive to all this stuff and we all talk about it, it's fascinating and whether it's real or not we love all the paranormal and superstition.
    One of us was a sceptic and she decided to go somewhere one night alone and came back three sheet's to the wind, she wasn't able to talk about it for a few weeks.

Now she's hopped on the unicorn with the other 5 we say to hell with the begrudgers and it's great fun exploring this stuff...

Talk about Skinwalker ranch and other things unexplained.

Some people just don't want to believe in all this stuff, because science and their guru's don't but I love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its all a bit meh really isn't it. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Funny you mention this I was watching Good Will Hunting and the scene in the bar came up. When you're a kid you really support Matt Damon in that scene but as you get older you realise he's just parroting someone else's views as well. None of us, maybe except the enlightened few are capable of truly original unbiased thought. We are the sum of our parts. All of our opinions are shaped by our fundamental character traits and we just absord opinions that align with ours. I see this with Covid. I just can't see it as a serious thread that requires lockdown. That's fair enough but the fact my mind can barely appreciate the justification for a lockdown just shows how deep these biases are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its all a bit meh really isn't it. :D
    Like people who use the word "meh"

I see this with Covid. I just can't see it as a serious thread that requires lockdown. That's fair enough but the fact my mind can barely appreciate the justification for a lockdown just shows how deep these biases are.

That you can't even have the conversation in a reasonable manner is just worrying too..

Advertisement