Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25k a day to hire the convention centre

Options
  • 11-11-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

What a colossal waste of money by the Oireachtas, surely the Dáil business could be conducted online and save the tax payer a fortune in the hiring cost of the Convention Centre, TD's mileage (I know, turkeys don't vote for Christmas), etc.

Every other company in the land is able to conduct their business online, why is this any different?

25k could surely be spent better than that in my view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's because some dose is reading the constitution literally and as a result deeming that a remote sitting of the Dail could be unconstitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We're borrowing €219 billion this year.

That's €219,000,000,000

219,000,000,000/25,000 = 8,760,000

8,760,000/365 days =

We can rent the convention centre for 24,000 years.

Edit: This is all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What a colossal waste of money by the Oireachtas, surely the Dáil business could be conducted online and save the tax payer a fortune in the hiring cost of the Convention Centre, TD's mileage (I know, turkeys don't vote for Christmas), etc.

Every other company in the land is able to conduct their business online, why is this any different?

25k could surely be spent better than that in my view.

Isn't it now owned by the state? Maybe we get some of that back in some form?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,745 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We're borrowing €219 billion this year.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I don't think it's legal to conduct votes etc. remotely.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Its 20 billion borrowing this year, I presume the 219 is the national debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

25k a day! LOL! when nobody else can or would actually rent the place. Tell them 5k a day and thats it! oor maybe bord gais energy theatre or the RDS etc, but renting it out at 25k for an extended period, is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jucko

Can we borrow the 219, pay off all our debts... and finally, BURN THE (current) BONDHOLDERS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Advertisement

LoL ok

Disregard my maths above!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Aviva would be cheaper. It's outdoor and bigger. The whole lot of them could be there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

donvito99 wrote: »
    I don't think it's legal to conduct votes etc. remotely.

i don't know about that, they have regularly held court hearings by video link for years now

there's a million ways to do this cheaper and easier but our shysters chose the most lucrative way for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

25k a day is normal for Dublin rent. Haha.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    25k a day! LOL! when nobody else can or would actually rent the place. Tell them 5k a day and thats it! oor maybe bord gais energy theatre or the RDS etc, but renting it out at 25k for an extended period, is a disgrace!

Yeah i'd love to know what the daily rate is in normal times

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭poppers

The convention centre is given to thegov for free the expenses are running costs
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0703/1151219-convention-centre-costs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The National Transport Authority (NTA) has spent roughly €966,000 renting offices from WeWork at Charlemont Exchange since April 2019, says a spokesperson for the NTA.

https://dublininquirer.com/2020/11/11/some-query-rent-bill-for-nta-s-offices-at-wework-building

poppers wrote: »
    The convention centre is given to thegov for free the expenses are running costs
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0703/1151219-convention-centre-costs/

25k a day running costs, WTF are they heating it with Faberge eggs?

Back into the Dáil the lot of them and let them wear masks, it's almost always nearly empty anyway during the "debates".

If it is "safe" enough for 30+ 17 years olds in a cramped class room it will do them.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    i don't know about that, they have regularly held court hearings by video link for years now

there's a million ways to do this cheaper and easier but our shysters chose the most lucrative way for them

One has nothing to do with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The State wasn’t charged for renting the venue apparently. The costs associated were paid to kit it out for the meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It's because some dose is reading the constitution literally and as a result deeming that a remote sitting of the Dail could be unconstitutional.

It’s designed to be read literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

mynamejeff wrote: »

Did we not have a big scandal last year with members voting on behalf of other members, etc? I can see how, if everyone was voting from home and there was some sort of close vote, that there could be allegations of TDs voting on one another's behalf, and similar.

Boggles wrote: »
    ".

If it is "safe" enough for 30+ 17 years olds in a cramped class room it will do them.

This is a silly argument and used for everything now.

School is important, it's on because kids need to learn and there's no comparison between a couple of hundred TDs with staff and however many school kids there are in the country at a time.

It’s designed to be read literally.

It's also written in a time before the prospect of TDs being able to have a mass meeting remotely and let the dail function properly.

Much like the Americans and using the 2nd amendment , ratified 230 years ago when they couldn't dream of the weapons we have now, to justify owning weapons capable of mass murder.

This is a silly argument and used for everything now.

School is important, it's on because kids need to learn and there's no comparison between a couple of hundred TDs with staff and however many school kids there are in the country at a time.

Ah. Government work is important too? :confused:

They are banging the drum the schools are safe, lead by example, The Dáil which is quite a substantial building as is, is more than adequate to perform the duties (safely).

Stagger if need be and wear and masks.

Like I said the majority of the time there is only handful of people in there anyway.

Absolutely no sane reason we should paying 25k a day for this absolute folly, no other country is acting the bollíx in that regard.

I wonder who owns that centre?

It's also written in a time before the prospect of TDs being able to have a mass meeting remotely and let the dail function properly.

Much like the Americans and using the 2nd amendment , ratified 230 years ago when they couldn't dream of the weapons we have now, to justify owning weapons capable of mass murder.

It's still the constitution though and it's still how it must be.

We can hardly make the entire country go to polling stations to vote on allowing the dail sit remotely because we don't want people going outside

no other country is acting the bollíx in that regard.

Prior to making that comment, did you perform even cursory research into it's accuracy?

Have you actually spent time examining the government's of the entire globe and their covid fiscal activities?

Prior to making that comment, did you perform even cursory research into it's accuracy?

Have you actually spent time examining the government's of the entire globe and their covid fiscal activities?

By all means old boy, refute the claim.

By all means old boy, refute the claim.

Not how it works in afraid chum, you made the statement, you back it up.

First link when I searched 'covid' and 'corruption':

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/world/africa/coronavirus-south-africa-aid-corruption.html

• Advertisement

Not how it works in afraid chum, you made the statement, you back it up.

First link when I searched 'covid' and 'corruption':

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/world/africa/coronavirus-south-africa-aid-corruption.html

Firewalled.

Something about corruption in South Africa? :confused:

What that has to do with a 25k being spent daily on a convention center in Dublin that isn't needed is a true mystery.

Advertisement