Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Major surgery tomorrow, can you help ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi All

I am a super anxious person and have to go for major surgery tomorrow. I have been all over the internet for past 3 weeks and read all the usual stuff about awareness etc so have scared myself silly. I have a few questions for anyone that can help ?

1. I have a few mild bulging discs in back and neck so was wondering is the operating table actually soft and comfortable ? Or is it a hard slab of iron where i will be in bits after it :-)

2. I know it will all be fine , i am taking a sedative in the morning before going in which has been discussed with the medical team etc but any nice anesthesia stories would be helpful please i.e. do you go to sleep really fast and then just wake up like no time has passed ?

I know i might be sick with a bit of pain afterwards but i can handle that and will get whatever pain meds i need

Going to be in hospital for a few nights

Thanks all

Good luck. It will be over before you know it. A little bit of faffing in a chair as they get you gowned up, then off you go on a bed, and they'll ask you to count and you won't make it to 9, never mind 6, and the next thing you know it will be a cup of tea and relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'll be fine. Only thing is when you wake up, it can sometimes be a bit confusing as in your mind no time has passed, and you wake up somewhere unfamiliar. You'll probably spout some nonsense as you come too, but don't worry, the nurses in recovery are well used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

ha ha , sounds like fun (kind of)

Wonder what makes some people sick after it and others fine. They asked me in pre op did i have travel sickness so maybe those people who have that have nausea after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

If you feel nauseous, make sure to tell them though. They've pretty good stuff for that and it makes a huge difference.

In all likelihood, you probably won't. In general I think online and in folklore you tend to hear the outlying stories, not the 99% of experiences which are like: "was chatting about my holidays and then woke up in bed with a bandage and had a cup of tea."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Yeah i should be going in around 10.30 or 11 they say, only one person before me. Will be staying 4 nights as with thyroid removal they need to monitor calcium levels etc.

Great post above - thanks .

Had a thyroid lobectomy due to lump on right lobe several years ago.

I didn't have any problems afterwards and just mild discomfort for a few days but I didnt need painkillers other than what was given to me during the operation. I was out after two nights.

If I was to do one thing differently it would be to take a sedative the night before to ease the nervousness, but you're doing that as you mentioned.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »
    Had a thyroid lobectomy due to lump on right lobe several years ago.

I didn't have any problems afterwards and just mild discomfort for a few days but I didnt need painkillers other than what was given to me during the operation. I was out after two nights.

If I was to do one thing differently it would be to take a sedative the night before to ease the nervousness, but you're doing that as you mentioned.

Good luck.

Interesting, thanks for this post. Im getting a full thyroidectomy but procedure is much the same i suppose, just the same on the other side. Yeah the pain isnt supposed to be bad at all and most dont even need the good meds so ill see how i feel. I have to stay 4 nights cos of potential calcium issues if they clip the parathyroid gland or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Always remember these people are experts and are like mechanics fixing a vehicle. They will fix you up and you will be fine.

Natural to be worried, but the thought of something is usually far far worse than the actual event.
    You are getting your body fixed up, and we are all made similar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was only sedated once and it's pretty amazing. Much like everyone on here all I remember was counting backwards and then being back in the room not believing the nurse that the procedure was over. You are just gone, no sensation of time having passed at all.

I'm sure you will be fine OP. It's scary but you'll come through it.

Thanks all - just got call saying my surgery has been changed to first in the morning so im due in theatre at 8.30 so no real waiting around - that will help greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Thanks all - just got call saying my surgery has been changed to first in the morning so im due in theatre at 8.30 so no real waiting around - that will help greatly

I had a similar experience, I think they are happy to take nervous patients early to avoid leaving them stewing.

Really its just a case of jobs to do; you get yourself there, prepped as required and aware of any instructions, let them deal with the surgery and the anesthestic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Archeron

Anytime I've had surgery, when I woke up they gave me tea and toast and it is the finest meal you could ever eat. It's like a Michelin star dinner. Post surgery toast is Gods food and worth looking forward to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I've had surgery a few times and was very anxious the first time. They couldn't have been nicer about it, if you still are in the morning tell them and they'll put you at ease.

Anaesthetic kicks in so quickly. You'll probably feel drowsy but very relaxed afterwards. Any hint of discomfort (only once out of 4 times)& they'll give you something for it. Their drugs are good so you'll be sorted within minutes.

When they let you eat, even if it's just dry toast, it tastes amazing. Never had a bad experience and completely undaunted after the first experience.

Good luck, it'll be fine.

Advertisement