Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Major surgery tomorrow, can you help ?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am a super anxious person and have to go for major surgery tomorrow. I have been all over the internet for past 3 weeks and read all the usual stuff about awareness etc so have scared myself silly. I have a few questions for anyone that can help ?

1. I have a few mild bulging discs in back and neck so was wondering is the operating table actually soft and comfortable ? Or is it a hard slab of iron where i will be in bits after it :-)

2. I know it will all be fine , i am taking a sedative in the morning before going in which has been discussed with the medical team etc but any nice anesthesia stories would be helpful please i.e. do you go to sleep really fast and then just wake up like no time has passed ?

I know i might be sick with a bit of pain afterwards but i can handle that and will get whatever pain meds i need

Going to be in hospital for a few nights

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Hi All

I am a super anxious person and have to go for major surgery tomorrow. I have been all over the internet for past 3 weeks and read all the usual stuff about awareness etc so have scared myself silly. I have a few questions for anyone that can help ?

1. I have a few mild bulging discs in back and neck so was wondering is the operating table actually soft and comfortable ? Or is it a hard slab of iron where i will be in bits after it :-)

2. I know it will all be fine , i am taking a sedative in the morning before going in which has been discussed with the medical team etc but any nice anesthesia stories would be helpful please i.e. do you go to sleep really fast and then just wake up like no time has passed ?

I know i might be sick with a bit of pain afterwards but i can handle that and will get whatever pain meds i need

Thanks all

Last op I had I remember being asked to count backwards from 10 - I don't think I got to 6 and then woke up in recovery no probs.

You'll be fine, just try and stay as relaxed and calm as possible, also remember you'll be surrounded by experts who want to take care of you.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi All

Thanks all

The staff will put you at ease , the operating theatre table is basically a bed it is comfortable .its a very relaxed atmosphere in my experience.
    The anesthesiologist will give you the anesthetic and it's just like quickly falling asleep.
    When you're coming round after surgery it is just like waking up but you'll feel a bit drowsy for a while but in a nice relaxed way.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have had quite a few surgeries and those with the added complications of epilepsy and diabetes.
    They all went fine.

It's usually a mild sedative an hour beforehand then you are taken to theatre with my last memory always being counting backwards from 100 and never getting past 96 ;)

You will be well looked after, the table is comfy and remember for back surgery you'll likely be on your front anyway.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Car99 wrote: »
    The staff will put you at ease , the operating theatre table is basically a bed it is comfortable .its a very relaxed atmosphere in my experience.
    The anesthesiologist will give you the anesthetic and it's just like quickly falling asleep.
    When you're coming round after surgery it is just like waking up but you'll feel a bit drowsy for a while but in a nice relaxed way.
    Good luck.

This is great, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Had lots of gum surgery under sedation, enjoy it it's a nice drug. Had one general and again it's nothing to remember, count to .... the gone. The table should be padded but I've no clue.

banie01 wrote: »
    Have had quite a few surgeries and those with the added complications of epilepsy and diabetes.
    They all went fine.

It's usually a mild sedative an hour beforehand then you are taken to theatre with my last memory always being counting backwards from 100 and never getting past 96 ;)

You will be well looked after, the table is comfy and remember for back surgery you'll likely be on your front anyway.

Good luck with it.

Thanks , no its thyroid surgery, not back surgery. I just mentioned that my back has a few dodgy discs and would be very sore if i lid on a hard surface for a few hours

yeah they said to take a sedative myself (minor dose) and then they would balance it out inside with a little extra. They have been super helpful

I can't help you with 1 cause I don't know either.

2 is exactly how you describe it. Just relax and take deep breaths, and you will be out in seconds, and wake up afterwards just like waking from a deep sleep.

I've never had major surgery, only minor stuff, in fact two of the three times I've been under general anesthetic is because I'm such a super anxious person they couldn't do easy stuff under local until I was unconscious. Anything else just ask and I will try to answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Same as Greyzer. I don't remember a thing after I started counting. In fact I woke up thinking the op hadn't happened. I was a bit groggy for the test of the day. Try not to worry and best of luck. I hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks , no its thyroid surgery, not back surgery. I just mentioned that my back has a few dodgy discs and would be very sore if i lid on a hard surface for a few hours

No worries.
    Don't worry about the surface leaving you sore.
    Between the anaesthesia, muscle relaxants and post op pain relief you really will be grand.
    Be healthy, and the medical team will really do their utmost to answer any questions.
    So don't be afraid to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hi All

Thanks all

Recipient of multiple general anaesthetics over the years.

The operating tables aren't a rock hard slab, but they're not a marshmallow either. They're a bit padded, but they can't be too soft or you'd be sinking away from the surgeon :) The combination of the sedative and the anaesthetic will have your muscles so relaxed that you won't wake up in bits from your bulging discs.

For me the absolute worst bit of the whole thing is getting the canula (needle in the back of the hand) in, and that's just cos I'm a big wuss about needles. Realistically it's just a pinch for a few seconds. You'll probably have that done in a "prep" room just outside the theatre (or maybe in the theatre itself). The team there are used to people being nervous, and will chat away to you if you let them know. They'll explain what's happening at each stage, and are very reassuring.

They'll tell you that they're starting the injection (which you won't feel) and you'll just drift off in under 10 seconds. You'll wake up in a different room without knowing anything about anything. If you're anything like me, you'll wake up, grumble a little, then conk out and sleep again. You'll have no idea what time it is.

Two bits of advice from experience - when they say don't eat/drink anything after a certain time, that includes water! If your mouth feels dry, rinse and spit.
    If you're going home the same day, ask the nurses to explain any instructions about medication/after care to the person picking you up. They'll probably give you stuff written down, but I'm completely useless for the rest of the day, and incapable of grasping/remembering basic instructions, so it's handy to have someone with a working brain there to remember if it's 3 pills twice a day, or 3 pills three times a day ;)

It's normal to feel a bit anxious, but remember that while it's new for you, they do this all the time. Depending on the lists, you may be hanging around for quite some time, but with lots of interruptions, so bring an "easy" book, or some crosswords or something to take your mind off things while you're waiting .

Thoie wrote: »
    Recipient of multiple general anaesthetics over the years.

The operating tables aren't a rock hard slab, but they're not a marshmallow either. They're a bit padded, but they can't be too soft or you'd be sinking away from the surgeon :) The combination of the sedative and the anaesthetic will have your muscles so relaxed that you won't wake up in bits from your bulging discs.

For me the absolute worst bit of the whole thing is getting the canula (needle in the back of the hand) in, and that's just cos I'm a big wuss about needles. Realistically it's just a pinch for a few seconds. You'll probably have that done in a "prep" room just outside the theatre (or maybe in the theatre itself). The team there are used to people being nervous, and will chat away to you if you let them know. They'll explain what's happening at each stage, and are very reassuring.

They'll tell you that they're starting the injection (which you won't feel) and you'll just drift off in under 10 seconds. You'll wake up in a different room without knowing anything about anything. If you're anything like me, you'll wake up, grumble a little, then conk out and sleep again. You'll have no idea what time it is.

Two bits of advice from experience - when they say don't eat/drink anything after a certain time, that includes water! If your mouth feels dry, rinse and spit.
    If you're going home the same day, ask the nurses to explain any instructions about medication/after care to the person picking you up. They'll probably give you stuff written down, but I'm completely useless for the rest of the day, and incapable of grasping/remembering basic instructions, so it's handy to have someone with a working brain there to remember if it's 3 pills twice a day, or 3 pills three times a day ;)

It's normal to feel a bit anxious, but remember that while it's new for you, they do this all the time. Depending on the lists, you may be hanging around for quite some time, but with lots of interruptions, so bring an "easy" book, or some crosswords or something to take your mind off things while you're waiting .

Yeah i should be going in around 10.30 or 11 they say, only one person before me. Will be staying 4 nights as with thyroid removal they need to monitor calcium levels etc.

Great post above - thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 17 choccymousse

I write this from my hospital bed the day after surgery ! The anaesthetic was fine , like others said I didn’t even know they had started the injection, went off into the land of nod and woke up in the recovery room and believe shouted at the poor nurse to say they absolutely could not have done the operation yet and then fell back asleep 😂 I asked them afterwards to apologise to them and they told me I was probably the third person that day that had done that !
    I was very anxious coming in , the same as you . Usually the anaesthetist comes up before hand and I explained my fears and they put me at ease , I’ve done underlying conditions and they were very thorough
    Best of luck !

It can be scary OP because it's so unknown and you're putting your faith in others to get you through. What helped me was trust in the medical team that I would be fine. I was given a sedative the morning of. That didn't really help my nerves but my surgery was elective so at the last minute I was a bit "shìte am I making a mistake".

In the end I didn't have time to think because before I knew it I was hooked up to the anesthetic. Like others have said I counted backwards. It was a really nice feeling.
    And I did wake up! :pac:

Best of luck with it.

Is the IV put in hand / wrist as opposed to the middle of your arm like it is with CT scans etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

If your having major surgery or even minor surgery and are an anxious person..stay away from the internet!
    Listen to the professionals who are dealing with your case and tell them that you're anxious, they're used to dealing with anxious people.

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    If your having major surgery or even minor surgery and are an anxious person..stay away from the internet!
    Listen to the professionals who are dealing with your case and tell them that you're anxious, they're used to dealing with anxious people.

lol yeah i know. I have read it all and made a mess of things for myself but this thread has really really helped and calmed me down about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Try not to worry OP, you'll be in very good hands. Its natural to feel anxious beforehand. Last time I went under I was convinced it wouldn't work but of course it did. I remember telling the doctor I was scared and he said where would you like to be right now? Where would be your idea of paradise? I said lying on a beach in Thailand and he smiled and said cose your eyes and go there. Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room drinking tea not a bother on me!
    I second the advice about having somebody with a working brain looking after for a couple of days afterwards but if you're being kept in for a few nights all the better.
    If I'm getting blood taken or a filling I often ask if I can put headphones on and if they'd tap my leg when it's all over. I immerse myself in the music and almost try to 'float' above myself and is it's not actually happening to me.
    And for the love of Jebus..stay away from the internet!!!
    Best of luck OP:)

Is the IV put in hand / wrist as opposed to the middle of your arm like it is with CT scans etc?

It was put in to my hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I had surgery in March.
    There was a line in my arm (or hand).
    The doctor asked me to move over a bit on the operating table.
    Next think I knew I was waking up in recovery feeling great.

You will be fine.

It really depends - the back of your "off" hand is very common as the anaesthetist can be off to one side with your hand, leaving space closer to you for the surgeons. I have had it put in other places as well, depending on the site of the operation. If you're staying in for a few days they'll most likely go for the hand, as it's "handy" for other purposes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I had a surgery 2 weeks ago, was told to count down from 10, was asleep by the time I got to 6.

When you wake up you will probably be in pain and might feel nauseous but they will give you some painkillers straight away to deal with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I'd fairly major (5 hour) ear surgery done and it's quite remarkable how you don't really have any awareness of anything. It's not quite like being asleep either - it's more like snapping your fingers and you're back in the bed again.

It's like one minute your chatting to them in the operating theatre the next minute you're in bed in the ward with an oxygen mask on and that's it really.

I know it's different, as I wouldn't have had muscle relaxants and stuff like that, but I had pretty much no side effects at all from the aesthetic, even though I was out for a long time.

I was a bit dozy the day after and had a huge bandage on my head and ear and I made a few odd phone calls that made little sense, but other than that I was grand.

Best of luck though - I'm sure you'll be totally fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Can’t remember now what the table was actually like when I had a hip replacement done last year, but I remember waking up as the consultant was just closing up and feeling nothing only the movement of being rocked up and down on the table while one of the medical team was showing me pictures of his pet dog on his phone.

I didn’t really know what to say so I think I just gave him a sympathetic smile like “that’s lovely”, while the consultant finished stapling me up.

I don’t know anything about what thyroid surgery involves but it’s natural to go over the worst case scenarios in your mind as opposed to imagining waking up and feeling like you just had an amazing sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Best Of Luck

Oh I'd just add don't do what I did!

A nurse asked me to leave a urine sample in the bathroom. It was a ward with an ensuite. Anyway, I left one. There was a little sample jar (which I didn't see) and there was a large glass decorative vase, which I assumed I was supposed to fill.

They had a good laugh at me anyway!

yeah its really amazing that you can be under for 5 hours and just wake up like nothing happened - i think first timers like myself have a hard time understand that .

I'd 3 further general aesthetics after that to change dressings, so it was a quick trip into a day ward - knocked out - did whatever it was they were doing and I was back to normal again, very quickly after, albeit high as a kite for the rest of the afternoon.

Honestly, it's not that bad at all. You just remember nothing about it and you'll be back up having a cup of tea like as if it never happened. It's a bit of a sci-fi experience, but not in a bad way.

• Advertisement

One other thing - when you wake up you'll be covered in wires/cables/tubes. All perfectly normal!

While you're in recovery, they monitor your heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen, all those good things, but if you're not used to them it can be weird to wake up hooked up to all kinds of machines. Once you're properly awake they'll take them away. They beep and ping and occasionally alarms will go off - nothing to worry about.

Advertisement