Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The SuperValu ad is just lazy and unimaginative. Taking advantage of the hardship dished out by covid to tug on the heartstrings of the public, pathetic. What will they think up next year, maybe tie in links to the famine as granny checks on the roasties in the oven :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The SuperValu ad is just lazy and unimaginative. Taking advantage of the hardship dished out by covid to tug on the heartstrings of the public, pathetic. What will they think up next year, maybe tie in links to the famine as granny checks on the roasties in the oven :rolleyes:

Ah jaysus. Lads, it’s just an ad that’s hitting a culturally and historically relevant theme of family during covid. It’s a good ad, as ads go.

It’s not trying to take the p1ss out of grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ah jaysus. Lads, it’s just an ad that’s hitting a culturally and historically relevant theme of family during covid. It’s a good ad, as ads go.

:D fair enough, but I wasn't implying the ad was taking the piss out of elderly people. I was just saying the ad was a cynical approach to pulling on the heartstrings, like why do so many of these Christmas ads have to introduce sadness and doubt just to lift the spirits by the end of it and hopefully the viewer will have a tear in their eye saying how lovely an ad that was?

Anyway, they are only Christmas ads I know and I'm taking them way too seriously :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Love the Woodies one. Simply done. Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If anyone is feeling a bit low, you should avoid this one

Girlfriend made me watch that during the week. That's not actually john Lewis official as right?

The way it's shot ... Comes off as some randomers attempt to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's not, but I think when it's still uncertain if Grandad can come over in real life, it's bad form to be showing something like that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Girlfriend made me watch that during the week. That's not actually john Lewis official as right?

The way it's shot ... Comes off as some randomers attempt to cash in.

It's an amateur version.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not, but I think when it's still uncertain if Grandad can come over in real life, it's bad form to be showing something like that right now.
    Ah hold on. The whole principle of ads is to play on real life insecurities. That’s what almost all ads do. Is it bad form? Yeah maybe but that’s what ads are.

The vast majority of ads are playing on real life insecurities: too fat? Use our low fat option and become thin like the models in the ad.

Lonely? Use our dating app and become happy like the models in our ad.

Insecure about your car?Buy our precision engineered car And be happy like the model in our ad.

Ads need an emotional hook to be more effective. If you think this ad was poor form then look at the ads aimed at teenagers. They’re constantly being told they’re dowdy, spotty, ugly little creatures but they can buy a load of products to become less hideous.

Ads aren’t there to make you feel good about yourself. The vast majority are literally there to create a problem, make you self conscious and sell you the solution in 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ads aren’t there to make you feel good about yourself. The vast majority are literally there to create a problem, make you self conscious and sell you the solution in 20 seconds.

But that ad doesn't sell anything imo. There's no obvious 'buy this you'll feel better' angle (I also cannot, at this very moment, remember which company put out that ad). Also, covid is affecting everyone, whereas those ads you mention are targeting specific people who are only a small section (in most cases), so there's a difference imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

anewme wrote: »
    Love the Woodies one. Simply done. Class.

It also conveys that you can buy certain types of products in Woodies, which is part of the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It also conveys that you can buy certain types of products in Woodies, which is part of the point.

Indeed, you can buy your Christmas decorations/ artificial tree in Woodies before Halloween if you wish!

Far too early...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Indeed, you can buy your Christmas decorations/ artificial tree in Woodies before Halloween if you wish!

Far too early...
    I was in Woodies yesterday and the Christmas section was blocked off.
    I think you could order on line and collect. Its allright though. The missus got her Mrs. Claus mini skirt and frillies from the Ann Summers catalogue and Woodies were selling cable ties over the counter. Now just to make sure I'm on Santa's naughty list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJntbYytPz8

Way too early for a Christmas advert but I like the above because its very relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

I think it is too early and some of the adverts are daft to be showing "Visit our store!" yet none of us can. Waste of advertising money.

Advertisement