Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads

Options
  • 10-11-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

There is a big push for Christmas advertising from as soon as Halloween ends. This will continue up until Christmas day followed immediately by ads for new year sales. I think it is too early and counter productive to start especially this year with nothing open and less money available. What do you think?

Is Christmass Advertising starting far too early 116 votes

Yes, December is soon enough.
    75% 87 votes
    No. As soon as possible even from September on.
    18% 21 votes
    It is fine as it is.
    0% 1 vote
    I don't care
    6% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I've seen Christmas trees already up weeks before Halloween; I think if anything it's an escape to get away from the despairing of the Corona world we're gonna be living in for quite some time yet.

As for the ads themselves, well could be worse things they're airing. When you're not watching TV like I do you rarely bump into them after also having an adblocker on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't know about the virus having anything to do with it as it happened for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Heard the Ann Summers one on the radio just there

(sleigh bells)
    Great fanny fillers this Christmas at Ann Summers!

Is it all not very late this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Lidl one is going to get annoying fast

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    That Lidl one is going to get annoying fast

Yep. They all are, by Dec 6th we will all be fed up of them.

Quote below from a british marketing publication

'Many brands have admitted they are going earlier this year. Asda said it was launching its advert at the beginning of November following insights showing more than one in five people had completed their Christmas shopping by this time last year.

It was the first retailer to use 5-second blipverts across all the major TV channels to promote the ad ahead of its launch on the evening of 1 December.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If anyone is feeling a bit low, you should avoid this one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Oh my God, I'm in bits here.

anewme wrote: »

Tear jerker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Why are all the Christmas ad sad ones? Companies seem to try and outdo each other every year with it! Surely with the year everyone has had they would have changed tack and had some nice happy ads!!

• Advertisement

Tear jerker :(

I knew no way would John Lewis do that, it's going to get a lot of shares.

I knew no way would John Lewis do that, it's going to get a lot of shares.

It's an amateur version.

This one is happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''IF I WAS A TOOOOOYYYYYYY''

Shut up you little sh*tmuffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Omackeral wrote: »
    ''IF I WAS A TOOOOOYYYYYYY''

Shut up you little sh*tmuffin.

Smyfs innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

So basically: A man
    is slowly poisoning a poor dog with chocolate. The dog finally convinces his captor that stockholm syndrome has set in, he now loves him and it is safe to go for a walk outdoors. But the brave dog then escapes as soon as he is outdoors. Man dies trying to hunt down, and presumably finish off,
    the dog.

Merry 2020 Christmas indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

5:17, too long to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hmmmm. As I never see TV etc ( and have no TV) I never see ads. A peaceful December ahead as always.

The only time I was involved was a couple of years back when Iceland broke the palm oil/orang utan news. Living so far out I was about to ban mince pies then a kind boardsie sent me some ….yumm

Has anything changed re that by the way as I see palm oil being vaunted on a vegan thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

NIMAN wrote: »
    5:17, too long to watch.
    No matter how short they are, they're still to long and too overhyped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

saabsaab wrote: »
    There is a big push for Christmas advertising from as soon as Halloween ends. This will continue up until Christmas day followed immediately by ads for new year sales. I think it is too early and counter productive to start especially this year with nothing open and less money available. What do you think?

Who watches tv with ads anymore?? Don't people either watch Netflix/Amazon or record what they want to watch and fast forward the ads??

No matter how short they are, they're still to long and too overhyped.

Theres no hype about that one- was made by a random person with no budget and his dad as the actor.

What a cynical cash in.

touts wrote: »
    So basically: A man
    is slowly poisoning a poor dog with chocolate. The dog finally convinces his captor that stockholm syndrome has set in, he now loves him and it is safe to go for a walk outdoors. But the brave dog then escapes as soon as he is outdoors. Man dies trying to hunt down, and presumably finish off,
    the dog.

Merry 2020 Christmas indeed!

The dogs advent calendar had "dog friendly chocolate" in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who watches tv with ads anymore?? Don't people either watch Netflix/Amazon or record what they want to watch and fast forward the ads??

I was unaware that a carrot was a Xmas thing until lately.
    I stream most everything as terrestrial tv doesn't have what I want, I don't want to watch ads anyhow, xmas ads or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Who is it counter productive for? The shops‘ only job is to sell more things. If people have less money this year, then the shops need to fight harder to sell things. It’s not the business’ job to care how people feel, it’s their job to sell things and advertising is a top way to sell things.

Who is it counter productive for? The shops‘ only job is to sell more things. If people have less money this year, then the shops need to fight harder to sell things. It’s not the business’ job to care how people feel, it’s their job to sell things and advertising is a top way to sell things.

They care about selling alright but does over advertising too early put people off? Many seem to think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They care about selling alright but does over advertising too early put people off? Many seem to think it does.

Maybe, anecdotally. But the marketing research probably doesn’t agree or else they wouldn’t do it.

Advertising is a fairly well established tool for selling. Maybe it’ll drive down overall sales, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Our local Tesco has their exterior Christmas lights up since yesterday, 10th of November :confused:

Never seen them up before the 11th of November.

It's like all our seasonal festivities are getting moved and stretched so that as one finishes another starts with no gaps in between, crazy.

FAR TOO EARLY, by several weeks . . .

Christmas starts on the 25th of December, so the 8th (of December) is soon enough to be putting them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our local Tesco has their exterior Christmas lights up since yesterday, 10th of November :confused:

Never seen them up before the 11th of November.

It's like all our seasonal festivities are getting moved and stretched so that as one finishes another starts with no gaps in between, crazy.

FAR TOO EARLY, by several weeks . . .

Christmas starts on the 25th of December, so the 8th (of December) is soon enough to be putting them up.

Ah Agree totally

One of the great things about island or deep remote living is that I see none of this. My own decorations etc will go up Advent 2 as always.. Trying for real lights this year...

Advertisement