Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky 500MB Broadband, Tv and and Sky Sports €55pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Sky told me today an account needs to be closed for at least 12 months before it can be accepted as a new customer

That's only if it's in the same name, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AM I right to say their 0818 number is no longer charging a fortune to ring it? Might even be free from a mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Muahahaha wrote:
    AM I right to say their 0818 number is no longer charging a fortune to ring it? Might even be free from a mobile?

Freephone number is 1800 927 476.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I was told by Sky that it can take up to 4 days from the switchover date for the broadband switch to occur. I've had the sky router in place for 2 days but apparently I'm still on the Vodafone plan. It will tell you on the Sky app when the switch is complete. You need to wait until then before comparing the speeds.

According to the app, my broadband is not activated yet. Yet I have the Sky username and password in my current route and it's working fine. Unless Vodafone don't actually require a username and password.

SachaJ wrote: »
    According to the app, my broadband is not activated yet. Yet I have the Sky username and password in my current route and it's working fine. Unless Vodafone don't actually require a username and password.

Mine got activated last night. Dropped out around 3am for about a minute and is now reading as activated on the Sky app. Seems pretty much the same as Vodafone so far but hasn't been tested with a houseful of teenagers yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Muahahaha wrote: »

If you have calls to landlines included in your package then yes it should be free as 0818 is regarded as a normal landline since last December

Anyone cancelling services? Do they call you after a few days?

No, I use an Asus RT-AC68U

Any chance of getting a screenshot of the connection settings you use? I have ordered a similar router that's due this week and likewise plan to swap out the Sky one entirely

Cheers

ando wrote: »
    Anyone cancelling services? Do they call you after a few days?

Usually weeks or indeed months afterwards - but check the mysky app as there may be a decent offer there in the last few days before cancellation, or shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Usually weeks or indeed months afterwards - but check the mysky app as there may be a decent offer there in the last few days before cancellation, or shortly after.

Is this the 35% off tv deal?

• Advertisement

Any chance of getting a screenshot of the connection settings you use? I have ordered a similar router that's due this week and likewise plan to swap out the Sky one entirely

Cheers

NP. See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Be very careful taking this deal and this is coming from experience. I took last years deal €59 a month for TV and broadband. It came to the end of the contract (due to go to €145 per month).
    I contacted sky 31 days before my contract was up and they told me I needed to wait till my contract expires to put my notice in.
    It means you can only give 31 days notice at the end of your contract so they nail you for €145 at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

castle2012 wrote: »
    Be very careful taking this deal and this is coming from experience. I took last years deal €59 a month for TV and broadband. It came to the end of the contract (due to go to €145 per month).
    I contacted sky 31 days before my contract was up and they told me I needed to wait till my contract expires to put my notice in.
    It means you can only give 31 days notice at the end of your contract so they nail you for €145 at the end.

Not true, I was on last year's deal and rang about 21 days before contract was due to end. Ended up paying €12 extra to cover the extra few days of the new price.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

This doesn't sound legal. You can almost certainly fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Funny I rang to cancel my Vodafone contract (which I was about 11 and a half months through) to get this deal and they tried to tell me this too. First she told me I needed to wait to the end of my contract and then I could give my 30 days notice. Then she was talking about me paying a cancellation fee that was €20 more than what I was paying per month for my internet/TV package to instantly cancel my package (which would obviously not benefit me at all).

Its essentially like saying you are in a 13 month contract which obviously we are not - so after I pointed this out she put me on hold and came back with 'oh yes you can give your 30 days notice and your contract will expire 30 days from now with no extra charges' - these companies are extremely cynical with this stuff and seem to be able to get away with doing with whatever they want - I've lost count of the amount of times phone/TV companies have tried to take money off me they aren't due and its quite a bit of effort putting a stop to it - they must make a fortune taking advantage of people who don't know/care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

Currently on VF Siro Gigabit + HD TV + Phone and it recently jumped to something like € 115
    Was looking for a great Sky deal without needing to take Movies/Sport.
    When I price up this deal at 1 gigabit plus HD I'm getting € 73 monthly. Am I likely to get a better deal post Black Friday without the cinema pack?
    From skimming the thread it sounds like the Sky router may not be as good for WiFi? Will VF want their router back if we're with them more than a year, and if they will should I immediately be thinking of a better router than the Sky one?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

I wasn’t happy spending 95 on just tv and broadband after my contract expired so I finally got through to them yesterday. The best they could offer was 80 a month... no thanks I said to cancel my account. The guy on the phone went through the motions and I was ready to send the sky box back to them when he realised I really was cancelling, then he passed me to the loyalty team and I got a deal.. same price as last year for another 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 28,637 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They list three broadband packages on their site.
    533225.jpg

But when I put in my address, they come up with only this package, not even worthy of being listed as an option mentioning 10 MBPS.
    533226.jpg
    So presumably SIRO isn't available at this address. I'd be crazy to switch from Virgin 250 MBPS to this, wouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know if broadband can be added midway through a TV contract? Our Virgin ends two months before our TV. Currently paying €45 for 250Mb with average service. I'd be happy with anything above 100Mb just want to cut down on cost, if Sky are cheaper than Virgin at the time (normally €60) then I'd like to go with them.

Eir just got installed to our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

533225.jpg

But when I put in my address, they come up with only this package, not even worthy of being listed as an option mentioning 10 MBPS.
    533226.jpg
    So presumably SIRO isn't available at this address. I'd be crazy to switch from Virgin 250 MBPS to this, wouldn't I?

You are not in a fibre enabled house so.

Virgin internet doesn't run through the fibre network so that's how you can get that speed with them.

Your on an old DSL line so only getting the 10mb and you won't even get that, I know a house on that line still and they barely get 7mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

533225.jpg

533226.jpg

Don't do it, you're too far from a cabinet and will get brutal speeds and likely dropouts. I'm in the same boat, virgin the only game in town until eir roll out the FTTH.

g0g wrote: »
    Currently on VF Siro Gigabit + HD TV + Phone and it recently jumped to something like € 115
    Was looking for a great Sky deal without needing to take Movies/Sport.
    When I price up this deal at 1 gigabit plus HD I'm getting € 73 monthly. Am I likely to get a better deal post Black Friday without the cinema pack?
    From skimming the thread it sounds like the Sky router may not be as good for WiFi? Will VF want their router back if we're with them more than a year, and if they will should I immediately be thinking of a better router than the Sky one?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

The Sky router is slightly better than the Vodafone router for WiFi as far as I can tell so far.

Is anyone having dropouts on the SIRO Broadband? I "officially" connected yesterday.

I'm working from home and using remote desktop into my work PC. Since yesterday I've had around 5 dropouts where I lose remote desktop connection and have to reconnect. Never once happened with Vodafone.

Is anyone having dropouts on the SIRO Broadband? I "officially" connected yesterday.

I'm working from home and using remote desktop into my work PC. Since yesterday I've had around 5 dropouts where I lose remote desktop connection and have to reconnect. Never once happened with Vodafone.

Has been rock-solid for me since it went in 2 weeks ago. Constant 450-515 down/50 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

For those of you who had siro with another provider and changed to siro with sky, how long did it take to transfer including getting router from sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

shmeee wrote: »
    Not true, I was on last year's deal and rang about 21 days before contract was due to end. Ended up paying €12 extra to cover the extra few days of the new price.

Is true, was my experience, Was told couldn't give notice till contract was up. And could only give notice once contract was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know if broadband can be added midway through a TV contract? Our Virgin ends two months before our TV. Currently paying €45 for 250Mb with average service. I'd be happy with anything above 100Mb just want to cut down on cost, if Sky are cheaper than Virgin at the time (normally €60) then I'd like to go with them.

Eir just got installed to our area.

It is available yes. I did it earlier in the year. I got a TV discount in April and then in June I logged into My Sky and clicked on the broadband part and placed my order at the promo price. It did however lock my TV into contract for 12 months too which really didn't make all that much difference because I had only recontracted in April anyway.

It worth mentioning too that I got their promotional price for broadband too even though I had only cancelled Sky broadband two months prior

Has been rock-solid for me since it went in 2 weeks ago. Constant 450-515 down/50 up.

By any chance would you notice 30 second dropouts?

I've had at least 4 drops today so far, 2 in the last hour. Very frustrating as each time remote desktop drops and I need to log back in to work. It's not on the work side as I can't access anything during that period and the wife's PC is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Broadband swap done today.. no down time to be fair..

Well except for the few minutes during a zoom call when the VF broadband service terminated.

The sky service worked as soon as I plugged in the new modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ElNino

Is your SIRO activated? When I switched to Sky it took a few days to be activated after the install and my broadband was like that until it was activated. If you are with Sky their app will show if your broadband is activated.

Advertisement