Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor Massey Ferguson 390t any good

Options
  • 07-11-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking about buying a 4wd tractor and I hear good things about the Massey Ferguson 390t and bad things. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At this stage they are too old and over priced

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Good back in the day but haven't aged well for the prices they command.
    Nowadays they are a horrible yolk, nasty small cab, electrics melted away, every nut and bolt rust welded. Just not enough power to run any decent machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If you can get one for handy money they are not all that bad for the smaller farmer. No bother drawing bales etc etc.
    There's 3 farmers here within a stones throw of each other and they all have 390s for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have one, its a great job...does everything i need it to do...not too big, not too small....ill hold onto it for a long time yet!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭DBK1

Everything twooldboots says is true about them but if you’re happy enough that they are big enough to do the work you have planned for it and if you aren’t going to be doing massive hours in it then the old, small and uncomfortable cab might not bother you too much!

While they are still priced at about double what they are actually worth the only bonus is if you get one at the right money it’ll never lose anything as long as you mind it. In 10 years time a clean one will probably still make the same money so if you have the money to put into one you probably won’t lose.

Personally I’d either spend a little bit more and go to a TL90 New Holland with power shuttle, especially if you’re after a tractor with a loader, or if budget was tight I’d go for an international with an XL cab and you’d have just as capable a tractor as the 390 for less than half the money.

The only other advice I’d give if getting one with a loader is make sure to get a good weight block for the back as well. That’s the most important implement for any loader tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve never heard anything bad about them mechanically.

Like most tractors as long as they are sized for the job you’ll be grand.

Decent examples seem to command above their value in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well I bought a 390 over 20 years ago and used it as the main tractor for years .It would still make the most of what I paid for it ,It is an ideal stockmans tractor ,easy to jump up on and exit for opening round bales .Lovely tractor to spend a few hours up on but you would have a pain in the hole if you spent a long day at silage or slurry,They are overpriced for what they are but always hold their value.I put in a high speed starter and she never fails to start ,done the brakes ,new rad and a few clutches but nothing else of any note. Imo the 390 will be the legend of a tractor just like 135 and 168

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Over priced in my opinion given their age at this stage. 399 would be better value i believe or 390t alternative in other colours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭emaherx

Just not enough power to run any decent machinery.

What machinery are the average stock men running these days?

A 390T is more than enough to handle heavy silage bales which is the biggest ask for most farms.

I've used mine for baling and slurry agitating / spreading for the past 20 years I can't see me needing more power anytime soon.

Although I agree they are very over priced at this stage. And with many over the 30 year mark high hours and rust would be a big issue with most of them.

The small cabs that many complain about are a positive point on my farm, they are the result of the small footprint and low profile nature of it's design. When you've a tight low roofed yard that was built with a DB880 or MF165 in mind it makes choosing a replacement for the 390T a difficult choice for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

If you have one already that's great but I would not be a fanboy and start to advise someone to buy one in 2020 unless they are into vintage/nostalgia. There's far newer better and better value tractors to be got in todays market.

• Advertisement

If you have one already that's great but I would not be a fanboy and start to advise someone to buy one in 2020 unless they are into vintage/nostalgia. There's far newer better and better value tractors to be got in todays market.

That's true, but the nicer newer model I'd be looking for would be in the same HP bracket. Problem is there are not that many with the same sort of power in that small footprint with a low profile cab.

On the price of 390T's I see a lot of very rough tractors on DoneDeal looking for over 10K but they are usually listed for a long time, I'd doubt many sell anywhere near the asking price.

And honestly, I'd be interested to know of modern alternatives. The low roof is one of the most important factors for me, but I'll probably end up buying a bigger tractor but keeping the 390T as a yard tractor.

emaherx wrote: »
    That's true, but the nicer newer model I'd be looking for would be in the same HP bracket. Problem is there are not that many with the same sort of power in that small footprint with a low profile cab.

On the price of 390T's I see a lot of very rough tractors on DoneDeal looking for over 10K but they are usually listed for a long time, I'd doubt many sell anywhere near the asking price.

And honestly, I'd be interested to know of modern alternatives. The low roof is one of the most important factors for me, but I'll probably end up buying a bigger tractor but keeping the 390T as a yard tractor.

If you come up 10 years from the 390's there is still tractors that are tidy. McCormick/ Case CX series, Zetors 40/41 series, NH TL and Massey 42 series. They can all be found with 70-90hp models and maybe even a bit strong that are tidy tractors.

Slava Ukrainii

If you come up 10 years from the 390's there is still tractors that are tidy. McCormick/ Case CX series, Zetors 40/41 series, NH TL and Massey 42 series. They can all be found with 70-90hp models and maybe even a bit strong that are tidy tractors.

I do need it to be over 90HP for the work it does, and I have only inches of clearance between tractor roof and roof trusses in some sheds. I find most modern tidy tractors are not quite as tidy as a 300 series massey. There are some Austrian built tractors that could be an option, they were built low profile for stability in alpine regions.

Redesigning some of the sheds may need to be the long term plan.

also I'd need to come up more than 10 years or it would be hardly worth while, as your are still talking about a near 20 year old tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The nh tla would be the pick of them and again you will pay premium price .Alot of mccormick and case locally and if they go wrong seem v.expensive for repairs .Zetor are a good brand but trying to find a well kept one not easy so easy see how a 390 is so popular

cute geoge wrote: »
    The nh tla would be the pick of them and again you will pay premium price .Alot of mccormick and case locally and if they go wrong seem v.expensive for repairs .Zetor are a good brand but trying to find a well kept one not easy so easy see how a 390 is so popular

I think the NH TLA is a similar height to the flat floor 300 series, I've a low profile model, did NH offer low profile versions of cabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26371883

Nice tidy size of NH there - are they fairly comfortable to drive/spend 12 hours a day in if required.

Which tractor brand would have the best sound insulation 15 year old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

I think the NH TLA is a similar height to the flat floor 300 series, I've a low profile model, did NH offer low profile versions of cabs?

Just the one cab option on those New Hollands as far as I know. I think 34 inch rear wheels were the standard fitment too, so there isn't much scope for fitting a lower option....unless you'd consider running on 30's :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You could get something like a Case CX90 or the same money. 10 years younger. Slightly heavier backend, power shuttle.

The 390 was one of the best machines of its era but you are paying a premium on them now and you just don’t get enough for your money IMO

You could get something like a Case CX90 or the same money. 10 years younger. Slightly heavier backend, power shuttle.

The 390 was one of the best machines of its era but you are paying a premium on them now and you just don’t get enough for your money IMO

McCormick CX 90 is probably a better option. It has the older International back end. It generally has more lifting power than the Case even with case has assistor rams

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is some crowd that "makes" them new on licence. Never heard of anyone buying one though

But the seem to be spec'd for different markets.

Originals are great machines, but as others say - very expensive. They do hold their value though.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

We had a 390t 2 wd for aprox 10 years. A fantastic reliable tractor, replaced a clutch, apart from that just the usual servicing. At 95hp handled any job we needed, 1300 slurry tank, mowing, round bales, 3m power harrow.
    Yeah the cab is tight and noise suppression not up to modern standards, but i've spent many an hour in worse. No rust issue on ours but it was indoors most nights. All simple logical manual controls. Had around 7,500 hours on ours when we traded in for a MF4245

The 390t with the 95hp is the one to go for, easier starting too, rather than the 80hp 390. If you are looking for a solid reliable performer from the mid to late 90's they fit the bill.

As regard the price yes they would seem to be over priced for what they are, but some lads asking €6 or €7k for a MF165 or a ford 4600???.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Came across this

https://www.farmandplant.ie/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/197691203/massey-ferguson-30

Anyone know which series of Massy is it or is it specific industrial one?

Edit: Oops just saw they have it down as a Massy 30.

Heres a regular 30 for comparison

5551-td4-b01-ext045.jpg

:confused:

gozunda wrote: »
    Came across this

https://www.farmandplant.ie/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/197691203/massey-ferguson-30

5551-td4-b01-ext045.jpg

I think some of the masseys had industrial versions. Perhaps something like a 30E?

Came across this

5551-td4-b01-ext045.jpg

No, industrial 30 is completely different from the 30 tractor in the picture.

The 30 industrial is more like a 135.

Edit: correction according to tractor data it has the same engine as a mk1 165.

http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/3/135-massey-ferguson-30.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

McCormick CX 90 is probably a better option. It has the older International back end. It generally has more lifting power than the Case even with case has assistor rams

Yeah but but would be a newer machine so will cost you a bit more.
    Probably still a better value machine though

http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/3/135-massey-ferguson-30.html

From that link - I see there was a 30 T which was called a "Turf Tractor"

It seems to be just the same tractor on lawn tyres. Dont think it would be any better out on the bog though

It seems to be just the same tractor on lawn tyres. Dont think it would be any better out on the bog though

That's what I was thinking. Certainly don't remember seeing bord na mona with them

That's what I was thinking. Certainly don't remember seeing bord na mona with them

I think I saw a yellow one up for auction either this year or last.

• Advertisement

That site has a 30E. 45hp . http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/6/165-massey-ferguson-30e.html

I don't think it matches the link for the one for sale but looks like a closer match in terms of hp

Advertisement