Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vat fraud??

• 07-11-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Forgive me if i posted this in the wrong section.

Basically i was shopping online recently and in the process of buying an expensive item. At the checkout i noticed there was box that allowed you to enter a vat number and have the vat deducted at the checkout so i would receive an instant discount!

I decided to enter my boss's vat number and couldn't believe the amount i was saving. At the time i didn't give it much thought! I went ahead and ordered the product and it has since been dispatched.

Afterwards however i couldn't understand how this could be so easy! I figured that if he ordered the product he could use the vat number and save some money so what was the difference if i just used it instead of him. Its not costing him anything for example right??

What am i missing here? What are the implications of this ? How does this work and how would anyone know/prove that it was me that used the vat number??

I managed to save almost 1000 euro doing this but it was far too easy to just grab any random vat number so iam guessing theres a catch? Sadly i didnt give it much thought until afterwards.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

baalad wrote: »
    Forgive me if i posted this in the wrong section.

Basically i was shopping online recently and in the process of buying an expensive item. At the checkout i noticed there was box that allowed you to enter a vat number and have the vat deducted at the checkout so i would receive an instant discount!

I decided to enter my boss's vat number and couldn't believe the amount i was saving. At the time i didn't give it much thought! I went ahead and ordered the product and it has since been dispatched.

Afterwards however i couldn't understand how this could be so easy! I figured that if he ordered the product he could use the vat number and save some money so what was the difference if i just used it instead of him. Its not costing him anything for example right??

What am i missing here? What are the implications of this ? How does this work and how would anyone know/prove that it was me that used the vat number??

I managed to save almost 1000 euro doing this but it was far too easy to just grab any random vat number so iam guessing theres a catch? Sadly i didnt give it much thought until afterwards.

<Gets the popcorn>

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭baalad

Deagol wrote: »
    <Gets the popcorn>

If iam liable for money then ill pay it. No big deal. Iam trying to rectify any wrong doing not get away with theft. I just didnt give it much thought at the time and who wouldnt want to save 1000 euro ???

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Ok I had started several answers but kept going back to the start as I just couldn’t believe this isn’t a really bad attempt at trolling. So instead before explaining anything please tell me you didn’t actually do this and it’s just weekend humour.

Re the underlined piece, you ordered on line and paid with your CC... IP address etc.

When you say you boss's number, is it a company or personal VAT number.
    IN any event unless the piece is for use in the business then the Vat is not reclaimable so it does make a difference

How can you reclaim vat that was never paid to begin with? Genuine question! If the vat was deducted at the checkout and therefore never paid. Then there is no vat to claim back??

Under normal circumstances a business would pay the vat and reclaim it but this discounts the vat so your not charged it to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

How can you reclaim vat that was never paid to begin with? Genuine question! If the vat was deducted at the checkout and therefore never paid. Then there is no vat to claim back??

Under normal circumstances a business would pay the vat and reclaim it but this discounts the vat so your not charged it to begin with!

Was this item being bought outside the state?

• Advertisement

If iam liable for money then ill pay it. No big deal. Iam trying to rectify any wrong doing not get away with theft. I just didnt give it much thought at the time and who wouldnt want to save 1000 euro ???

You could think of it this way - I can drive the 10 km's home from the pub tonight after 10 pints of porter in 3 minutes. I'll apologise to the garda the next day for the drink driving and the speeding.

You've committed fraud - it may not be as simple as you think to unwind it. Especially as you've implicated your boss in your fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Car99 wrote: »
    Was this item being bought outside the state?

Yes

You could think of it this way - I can drive the 10 km's home from the pub tonight after 10 pints of porter in 3 minutes. I'll apologise to the garda the next day for the drink driving and the speeding.

You've committed fraud - it may not be as simple as you think to unwind it. Especially as you've implicated your boss in your fraud.

Myself and my boss are on very good terms. Ill explain to him and if its at any cost to himself then ill happily pay it.

But you are charged it. Or rather the business is charged the VAT but under EU acquisitions the Irish business self accounts for the VAT under the reverse charge mechanism. So instead of paying the EU supplier the VAT they pay the net amount. Then they self account for the VAT by including it in the sales part of their VAT return. If they are entitled to an input credit for the VAT then they can deduct it in their purchases and the two amounts cancel each other out. If they are not entitled to an input credit then the VAT ends up being paid to Irish Revenue.

So what you’ve done is enter your bosses VAT number in a supply of goods transaction which is now winding its way through the EU VAT system and will at some point end up available to Irish Revenue. You had those good dispatched to presumably your address not the address that VAT number is linked to. Used presumably your bank account also. Sure how could anyone trace that back.

This is blatent tax evasion which is a criminal offence in Ireland and you’ve involved your boss.

• Advertisement

Myself and my boss are on very good terms. Ill explain to him and if its at any cost to himself then ill happily pay it.

You mean you were on very good terms? I'm not sure that will be the case now that you've made him an accessory to tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

The only time I have heard of something similar is I know of cases of Motocross bikes being bought brand new in NI and people using VAT numbers of business in ROI that would have absolutely no reason to need a Motocross bike.

From memory these were brand new bikes and the vat was deducted at time of sale and the company was never questioned about this ever. I have heard of multiple cases of people doing this so it's definitely done but with the permission of the company owner and is clearly VAT fraud.

You might want to be thinking up a very good reason to tell your boss and I would be doing it asap, you might find you are not on as good terms as your thought.

You mean you were on very good terms? I'm not sure that will be the case now that you've made him an accessory to tax fraud.

Fair enough but how can he be involved when anyone could of done what i did? I could easily use another companies vat number...... how does that make them compliant??

At the end of the day. Nobody is hurt, Nobody was murdered. I don't see what the big deal is.

If he is liable to any charges as a result of this then i will pay them! I doubt meself and the boss are gonna do jail time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Fair enough but how can he be involved when anyone could of done what i did? I could easily use another companies vat number...... how does that make them compliant??

At the end of the day. Nobody is hurt, Nobody was murdered. I don't see what the big deal is.

If he is liable to any charges as a result of this then i will pay them! I doubt meself and the boss are gonna do jail time lol

No but if revenue think that your boss is trying to avoid tax they will inspect his books, something he might not thank you for.

Goose81 wrote: »
    The only time I have heard of something similar is I know of cases of Motocross bikes being bought brand new in NI and people using VAT numbers of business in ROI that would have absolutely no reason to need a Motocross bike.

From memory these were brand new bikes and the vat was deducted at time of sale and the company was never questioned about this ever. I have heard of multiple cases of people doing this so it's definitely done but with the permission of the company owner and is clearly VAT fraud.

You might want to be thinking up a very good reason to tell your boss and I would be doing it asap, you might find you are not on as good terms as your thought.

Ill speak with him! How does the process work though? For example how does it come to his attention that a product was purchased using his vat number ? I can see it being a red flag if someone was using a vat number illegally on the regular but a once off would hardly come back to him? If so, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Nobody was hurt, but you are avoiding tax, which isn't legal.

No jail time, but you and your boss could be fined over it.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    No but if revenue think that your boss is trying to avoid tax they will inspect his books, something he might not thank you for.

If the product was bought for business use then it would be ok right? Couldnt he just say that it was for business use?

If the product was bought for business use then it would be ok right? Couldnt he just say that it was for business use?

Any answer to this is further condoning what is already blatant tax evasion so at this point I’m out. Have a good weekend.

Effects wrote: »
    Nobody was hurt, but you are avoiding tax, which isn't legal.

No jail time, but you and your boss could be fined over it.

Iam pretty sure my boss has often ordered stuff for personal use but used his vat number to save money. How can it be proved its not for business use?? From what i have read elsewhere online it seems that this is common enough and rarely does it come back to you unless you abuse it and do it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Stratvs wrote:
    So what you’ve done is enter your bosses VAT number in a supply of goods transaction which is now winding its way through the EU VAT system and will at some point end up available to Irish Revenue. You had those good dispatched to presumably your address not the address that VAT number is linked to. Used presumably your bank account also. Sure how could anyone trace that back.

The only checks done are if the vat number is valid. There is rarely a detailed check into individual transactions to see if they are actually going to the business that holds the vat number. They only picture in suspected large scale vat fraud cases which are few and far between. The only one I head of was done company doing this with microchips or the like. An employee could validly order an item and pay for it for business use by getting it vat excluded and reclaim the non vat expense amount from his employer.

It's no different than if the boys orders something via his company and instead of using it for the company, had intended it for personal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I'm sure Mr begley thought the same when he was importing garlic and having it shipped as apples (if my memory is correct) , so they company were still paying tax, just the lower rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

It's fraud. Revenue have more powers the the Gardai.

Boards could be asked to pass your IP address to Revenue. Good luck.

Sure but if revenue inspect his books and disagree with some of the claims he is putting in the business as expenses he will end up paying more tax and revenue won't just do one years records if they think something is up they can go back as far as they want. I know a person who had a business selling clothing for a number of years and didn't declare all the trading. Stopped trading a few years and went into a new area of business. The new business made a lot of money fast and revenue decided to inspect the books. New business all spot on, caught the gaps in the previous business and was on the hook for over 250000. I don't think your going to agree to pay that back.

Happy4all wrote: »
    It's fraud. Revenue have more powers the the Gardai.

Boards could be asked to pass your IP address to Revenue. Good luck.

I posted here to seek advice because i didn't understand how it works etc I didnt post here for help on how to avoid tax etc

Iam more the wiser now and i wont be doing it again! As i said. Nobody was murdered. I saved a few euro god forbid. Ill pay back any costs that are owed to revenue when it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Iam pretty sure my boss has often ordered stuff for personal use but used his vat number to save money. How can it be proved its not for business use?? From what i have read elsewhere online it seems that this is common enough and rarely does it come back to you unless you abuse it and do it regularly

You will have to prove its required for work purposes which will be difficult when not paid for by the business and delivered to your home.

You will end up paying the VAT plus a fine and which afaik will prob cost you in the region of 3k and your boss will end up having his accounts looked at by revenue.
    Your above post says what a ***** you are. If your boss orders stuff for himself for his personal use thats his business and Im sure he is selective in how he does it too.
    Speak to your boss ASAP , otherwise contact the website and pay the VAT and insist the VAT number is removed form the sale.

Really stupid idea , maybe your just immature but you dont F*** with revenue. You will end up paying big time

Ill speak with him! How does the process work though? For example how does it come to his attention that a product was purchased using his vat number ? I can see it being a red flag if someone was using a vat number illegally on the regular but a once off would hardly come back to him? If so, how?

Mate try to cancel what you have ordered right now, I would be on the phone to the company like now.

If it's already been shipped tell them it was ordered incorrectly and try to return it. Best case the order can be cancelled and say nothing to your boss.

As has been said your boses books could be gone through with a fine tooth comb by revenue, you have put him and his family's livelihood at risk.

Cancel the order if you can and say nothing to him.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Sure but if revenue inspect his books and disagree with some of the claims he is putting in the business as expenses he will end up paying more tax and revenue won't just do one years records if they think something is up they can go back as far as they want. I know a person who had a business selling clothing for a number of years and didn't declare all the trading. Stopped trading a few years and went into a new area of business. The new business made a lot of money fast and revenue decided to inspect the books. New business all spot on, caught the gaps in the previous business and was on the hook for over 250000. I don't think your going to agree to pay that back.

Of course not. Why on earth would i be liable for any wrong doings my boss has done? Iam responsible for myself not him

Goose81 wrote: »
    Mate try to cancel what you have ordered right now, I would be on the phone to the company like now.

If it's already been shipped tell them it was ordered incorrectly and try to return it. Best case the order can be cancelled and say nothing to your boss.

Item was already shipped!

Item was already shipped!

Ring them now and ask can it be returned for a full refund, ask can the shipping company be contacted to return the delivery before you sign for it.

• Advertisement

Of course not. Why on earth would i be liable for any wrong doings my boss has done? Iam responsible for myself not him

True but I would guess if it got to that amount he wouldn't be your boss anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement