Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weanlings with snots and slight cough

Options
  • 06-11-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi lass I've bucket weanlings here with snots and a slight cough I've given 2 shots of bovipest second run was first sat in october I thought with the price of the injection I'd be finished with this problem have ye any recommendations wat to do they are in 2 weeks now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have they been dosed? Bovipast is a vaccine, if they have a cough due to a virus it would be too late for the vaccine so an anti inflammatory and possibly an antibiotic is what would be needed to clear it. Talk to your vet if in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

as long as they're eating and don't have a raised temp I'd let them work away and watch closely , ( no doubt other will tell you to pump them with a cocktail of antibiotics )

housed ours last friday and have a few with similar symptoms ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭White Clover

lab man wrote: »
    Hi lass I've bucket weanlings here with snots and a slight cough I've given 2 shots of bovipest second run was first sat in october I thought with the price of the injection I'd be finished with this problem have ye any recommendations wat to do they are in 2 weeks now

Had similar symptoms here with weanlings a few years ago. A few buckets of Crystalyx easy breather buckets sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Had similar symptoms here with weanlings a few years ago. A few buckets of Crystalyx easy breather buckets sorted it.

I've used that before thought twas not much good to be honest

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have they been dosed? Bovipast is a vaccine, if they have a cough due to a virus it would be too late for the vaccine so an anti inflammatory and possibly an antibiotic is what would be needed to clear it. Talk to your vet if in doubt

Ya they have been dosed they got 70 ml of a white dose in june and august plus 8 ml of bimectin plus there last week of august I think I'll give them a shot of bimectin plus again weather every mild by day here a d frost by night might not help I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did you ask your vet? Bovipast wont cover them for ibr. That's a separate vaccine. I lost a few about 6 weeks ago with pneumonia. We threw the book at them. Normally wouldn't lose any with pneumonia

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

Bimectins active ingredient for worms is ivermectin, same as many other drugs, which is cleared out of the body in a few days and a new parent lungworm infection could be present within 3 weeks, so a worm dose given 10 weeks ago in what has been a fairly bad year for lungworm is unlikely to be sufficient. It would be advisable to take faecal samples from the coughing animals and pool them and get faecal analysis done to see are there eggs, although even if not I'd still advise dosing them again as there can be gaps in eggs coming through.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you ask your vet? Bovipast wont cover them for ibr. That's a separate vaccine. I lost a few about 6 weeks ago with pneumonia. We threw the book at them. Normally wouldn't lose any with pneumonia

did you get a pm done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Ctc/respichlor mixed in the meal for a week will sort them out..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »
    did you get a pm done ?

Vet was out a few times. We had dosed them with a white dose and vet reckoned they couldn't deal with the coughing up of the old worms. They had been done with bovipast. I dosed another batch with pour on and they were fine. Draxxin, steroids , betamox and multimin to the worst ones. Sickner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

I’d start them on the antibiotic powder. Had weanlings the same way here last week. Kept an eye on them for few days then two of them got worse - ended up treating those two for few days, injecting lot of them with long acting and putting them all on the powder. Once they get a bit sick harder to get them to take to the powder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

lab man wrote: »

Every year for the last 5 years we have had either a few cases of phenomena in the weanlings or like last year all weanlings got it and nearly lost a few. This year I swore no way. My vet advised me keep lungs clear from worms. Ibr vaccine early September bovilis rsp vaccine six weeks apart last round two weeks before housing. After housing They all got a cough and white snorts on their noses I went straight into the vet he said watch for poor feeders and observe and wait. They all got out no intervention with antibiotics. I never really signed up to vaccines this year I am a 100% convert. Last year it cost €35/ per head with S**t load of grief to treat with antibiotics. Never ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Ctc powder mixed through the meal for a few days is a good

adne wrote: »
    Ctc powder mixed through the meal for a few days is a good
    Ctc is excellent and I nearly always had good results but it’s going to be banned soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Had the same. Vet prescribed CTC powder into feed

cacs wrote: »
    Every year for the last 5 years we have had either a few cases of phenomena in the weanlings or like last year all weanlings got it and nearly lost a few. This year I swore no way. My vet advised me keep lungs clear from worms. Ibr vaccine early September bovilis rsp vaccine six weeks apart last round two weeks before housing. After housing They all got a cough and white snorts on their noses I went straight into the vet he said watch for poor feeders and observe and wait. They all got out no intervention with antibiotics. I never really signed up to vaccines this year I am a 100% convert. Last year it cost €35/ per head with S**t load of grief to treat with antibiotics. Never ever again.

TG there's at least 1 other poster that has similar approach to my self

A vet who I learned a lot from told me that ibr and salmonella causes a lot more underlined problems that people imagine , ibr can lie dormant in a herd for years and never cause issues and if animals get hoose or pneumonia or come under stress for any reason it kicks off

It can spread like wildfire especially if housed

we use ibr live here and the herd health has completely improved , little or no pneumonia , better fertility, less dosing, antibiotics, vets fees and knackery visits

most of us completed a sprayer course in the past, I think it should also be compulsory for people to do a course on proper dosing, vaccination, etc
    IMO it would make more sense that some of the bullsh1t in the quality assurance scheme,

we had a couple of weanlings similar to op, all bar 1 are better this morning she is up and eating still very snotty

I not advising people to neglect the symptoms, if your stock need treatment they do, but find out why they need and try to avoid that scenario in the future ,

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

A vet who I learned a lot from told me that ibr and salmonella causes a lot more underlined problems that people imagine , ibr can lie dormant in a herd for years and never cause issues and if animals get hoose or pneumonia or come under stress for any reason it kicks off

we use ibr live here and the herd health has completely improved , little or no pneumonia , better fertility, less dosing, antibiotics, vets fees and knackery visits

most of us completed a sprayer course in the past, I think it should also be compulsory for people to do a course on proper dosing, vaccination, etc
    IMO it would make more sense that some of the bullsh1t in the quality assurance scheme,

we had a couple of weanlings similar to op, all bar 1 are better this morning she is up and eating still very snotty

I not advising people to neglect the symptoms, if your stock need treatment they do, but find out why they need and try to avoid that scenario in the future ,

Great idea. Just on another note , last year I started weighing some of the animals prior to dosing and was surprised how miscalculating I was of weights and was underdosing , which could be leading to resistance as well as effectiveness of the worm dose product.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had to get some ctc for some coughing smalls today.
    Get was saying they are out the door with respiratory problems at the moment.

Ran everything across the scales to get a baseline for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Done all our weanlings during the week with zelleris. Not sick but coughing away. There all up to date with vaccinations & dose, even done a dung sample to be sure. They've freshened a good bit since.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Great point regarding education on dosing and vaccination. The other big factor is proper ventilation in sheds.
    This is also a big factor. We are all used to our own set up and often don't see the flaws. A lot of vets aren't that good at identifying where a shed isn't properly ventilated and how to correct it where it's inadequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Draughts are just as bad as poor ventilation.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Draughts are just as bad as poor ventilation.

True, by poor ventilation, I meant lack of fresh clean air at one end of the scale and draughts at the other end of the scale.

It can be hard to get right, as I've learned through experience. Every site and shed is different

Talking to vets a lot of it is happening with the last month or so with stock still outside. Rsv and pi3 type viruses. Both batches were got coughs, still grubbing fine and not losing condition but the whole lot coughing. Weather has been very variable. Ot would depend on the batch but would be very wary of getting a setback this time of year. Gave them a shot of long acting antibiotic on vets advise and noticed a difference very quick. Dosing was up to date so confident it wasn't lungworm. If it was I think they would have gone backwards as well
    Will prob look at vaccinating next year vets say its fierce prevalent in herds this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Ctc is excellent and I nearly always had good results but it’s going to be banned soon.

Why

adne wrote: »
    Why

Antibiotics resistance. You end treating healthy animals who don’t need and on it goes into the food chain

It won't get into the food chain if withdrawal periods are followed. Administering antibiotics to those who don't need it can lead to resistance in the bacteria it's trying to treat

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Ctc is also used as a preventative for pneumonia so even if you give it to weanlings that dont have signs of pneumonia in the pen it reduces their chances of getting it off the animal that you are treating for it.
    Problem is there is a lot of work involved in weaning properly...like dosing a few weeks before weaning/creep grazing ahead of the cows/feeding meal a month before weaning/taking only a few cows from the calves at a time and this year with weather so bad and ground so wet a lot of weaning was quite abrupt so this has probably led to more cases of pneumonia this autumn.
    I weaan 25 every year and touchwood never have any cases but I try to do all above as best I can.Never have vaccinated either.
    Only case I had was a saler heifer last year that was outwintered but she recovered fine.

Well lads I gave a la injection there friday eve and the 2 that had snots are fine again . so I dosed all the weanlings this morning thinking that they might have worms a next door neighbour done his calves the same day I did mine for bovipast and his have snots too he called the vet he has same slat house as mine. the vet said that with the slurry being low at the moment to cover the manhole at the outside as it causes a draft into the tank and up under the calves so we will wait and see I'll give ctc powder now too even tho As I said before I don't think it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Antibiotics resistance. You end treating healthy animals who don’t need and on it goes into the food chain
    We have used CTC successfully to treat calves/weanlings over the years but we remove those animals from the others for treatment. IMO Vets selling CTC are complacent in its overuse. They don't advise farmers to seperate affected animals from the rest of the herd and feed it individually at 20grms/100kgs. It's easier to shake a few fist fulls onto the meal and feed to all.

I understand through our Vet that the largest users of CTC powder are not cattle farmers but piggeries. Apparently there is a higher concentration (15%) of Chlortetracycline in CTC powder for piggeries as opposed to the normal stuff which is 10%. Maybe/could it be why it's going to be banned?

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    We have used CTC successfully to treat calves/weanlings over the years but we remove those animals from the others for treatment. IMO Vets selling CTC are complacent in its overuse. They don't advise farmers to seperate affected animals from the rest of the herd and feed it individually at 20grms/100kgs. It's easier to shake a few fist fulls onto the meal and feed to all.

I understand through our Vet that the largest users of CTC powder are not cattle farmers but piggeries. Apparently there is a higher concentration (15%) of Chlortetracycline in CTC powder for piggeries as opposed to the normal stuff which is 10%. Maybe/could it be why it's going to be banned?

Wow didn’t know that

Advertisement