Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have long covid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

bladespin wrote: »
    Didn't get over excited, just said you asked for it, btw, you asked for a source, not a link, google is a great source - it has many links.

If someone makes a claim the onus is on them to provide proof. Telling them to google is not providing the source

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ZX7R wrote: »
    Let's be clear I never said all long covid is due to the psychological nature of covid I said there is a growing consensus in Europe that most cases that have no medical reason are being attributed to post traumatic stress .
    If you're so adamant that my post is false stupid ect.
    Post some links of your own to refute my post.
    There is plenty of articles reports about it.
    I won't be posting any links and if you don't like my post report it I be happy to take a ban

I'd suggest you may have been some reading dodgy sources tbf.

Post viral syndrome is a medically recognised condition. It appears that Covid infections may cause some additional issues
    for some people, contracting a viral infection can be life-altering. It can cause months, years or even a lifetime of debilitating symptoms that drastically reduce their quality of life.

These symptoms, sometimes called "post-viral fatigue syndrome," have been reported by sufferers of many viral diseases including influenza, glandular fever, SARS, and now COVID-19.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-post-viral-fatigue-syndrome-condition-affecting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hrududu wrote: »
    If someone makes a claim the onus is on them to provide proof. Telling them to google is not providing the source

This is neither a courtroom or a thesis, it’s a discussion forum where opinions are shared, there’s no requirement for chapter and verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

This is neither a courtroom or a thesis, it’s a discussion forum where opinions are shared, there’s no requirement for chapter and verse.

You have written:

There is a growing consensus in Europe that long covid may be psychological rather than medical.

I tried to establish is this is your own opinion having no reason under it or there is tendency in some media sources aimed to incline general public thinking this way or may be you have misunderstood some publication. Having no references, your post is useless if not to say harmful (while OP should contact hospital, your post implies it is just psychological effect and she could relax and wait until it will become ICU case)

Thats me wrote: »
    You have written

Nope, think you’re confused, all I’ve written is that you asked and were given the source.

I have also posted about my own experiences which are contrary to that posters but that’s just how discussions are.

• Advertisement

Nope, think you’re confused, all I’ve written is that you asked and were given the source.

Sorry, i have mixed you with a poster of this sthi.

I have also posted about my own experiences which are contrary to that posters but that’s just how discussions are.

Yes, i noted. Sorry again, you're so plug in every barrel that i mixing you with that poster, who prefer to stay silent now.

Sorry, i have mixed you with a poster of this sthi.

Yes, i noted. Sorry again, you're so plug in every barrel that i mixing you with that poster, who prefer to stay silent now.

No probs, stay safe no matter the opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

bladespin smells like boiled cabbage. Google it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You have written:

(while OP should contact hospital, your post implies it is just psychological effect and she could relax and wait until it will become ICU case)

Now that's some jump to come to a conclusion like that.

Now that's some jump to come to a conclusion like that.
    Why not to say "There is a growing consensus in Europe that's some jump to come to a conclusion like that."? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Long covid could be caused by a lot of things, one of the most common, after mild cases, is post-viral inflammation another is CFS. There are viruses that are more likely than others to cause post-viral conditions. Covid may be one of them. Or it may be because as a novel virus, there are more people infected at once, meaning it seems like it's causing a disproportionate amount of post-viral issues. It may be a bit of all of the above.

I had a Covid like virus in mid-late March, I was part of a cluster of people who had illness at the same time but none of us had a confirmed contact nor a relevant underlying condition so couldn't get a test. A few days after I recovered, I developed Pleurisy in my right lung, Costochondritis (chestwall inflammation) post viral subacute thyroiditis, oesophagitis/GERD and oesophagial/oral candida. This meant I had continued shortness of breath, chest pain, lung pain on the right side when I could take a deep breath along with constant sore throats, weird periods which coincided with a worsening of symptoms, tiredness, just a general feeling of crappiness. I needed phenomenal amounts of rest and when I did feel better, I'd do something energetic, feel fine immediately afterwards but relapse within hours. For 3 months I was fairly limited in what I could do. For another nearly 4 I was able to do most things, including most kinds of intense exercise that I could do before I was sick. But I still had lingering symptoms.

Another 4 months on and I still have some costochondrits at times, though I had a fall yesterday and felt the impact through my chest but have not felt costochondritis today which I think is a pretty good sign that most of the inflammation is gone. So it's been about 7.5 months from first having symptoms to being pretty much better. It would be no harm for you to get checked out, especially with your asthma. Ask for your blood to be tested for any clotting, thyroid function, maybe get your iron/vitamin B checked as anaemia can cause breathlessness. See if your doctor would recommend a chest x-ray and EKG, to be on the safe side. Take a vitamin d supplement if you aren't already. And just get as much rest as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I do wonder if the majority of those taking longer to recover are the unfortunate ones who got it early on... those who never got to hospital..those more stressed as many unknowns then about it..those who had inapprioate medications/no blame.. those with no access to post covid clinics.. those on the medical card.. those who had gps close their services..those who pushed too hard to recover quickly/ no blame.. etc?

speckle wrote: »
    I do wonder if the majority of those taking longer to recover are the unfortunate ones who got it early on... those who never got to hospital..those more stressed as many unknowns then about it..those who had inapprioate medications/no blame.. those with no access to post covid clinics.. those on the medical card.. those who had gps close their services..those who pushed too hard to recover quickly/ no blame.. etc?

The man I know got it very early (March), he would be in a higher risk category- 70s, overweight but otherwise well, he’s well off so medical care wouldn’t have been an issue, he’s a particularly tough guy so may have put himself under more pressure to get going again (also unlike him to exaggerate feeling unwell, more the opposite tbh) from discussing it with him he seemed to recover quickly and felt well soon after the diagnosis but had nagging symptoms for months after, particularly fatigue and some breathing difficulties. He’s fine now btw.

Ficheall wrote: »
    bladespin smells like boiled cabbage. Google it :rolleyes:

Suggest you check with your doctor if you’re googling smells ;)

The man I know got it very early (March), he would be in a higher risk category- 70s, overweight but otherwise well, he’s well off so medical care wouldn’t have been an issue, he’s a particularly tough guy so may have put himself under more pressure to get going again (also unlike him to exaggerate feeling unwell, more the opposite tbh) from discussing it with him he seemed to recover quickly and felt well soon after the diagnosis but had nagging symptoms for months after, particularly fatigue and some breathing difficulties. He’s fine now btw.

Good to hear he is doing well. Gives hope to people who might just need to give themselves that extra bit of time to recover, or those who have never had a difficult virus or other illness before. I hope that there are procedures in place for those to able to take that time if needed especially if not well off.

I know I have said it before in between illness and health is a phase called recovery. There maybe similaritys to this recovery but we are all unique human beings. TLC yourself those of you that are in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Great to hear that someone fitting that description has eventually recovered. At times, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this affects people and how it doesn't

As far as follow up care; I wonder how much having private health care versus not is going to play into recovery time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Have lasting symptoms from a virus I had in March. Was off work for six weeks at the time as was very breathless then.

Asthma all the time with breathlessness that last for a few days every few weeks now.

Test was cancelled back then as I had no temperature.

So can't say for sure that I had Covid-19, although doctor thinks there's a good chance it was. He said very unusual symptoms at the time. Whatever it has has had lasting effects so far.

Can work away so happy with that. Was only one day where I had to stay in the office all day as was quite caught in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BruceK0508

My brother has asthma and he was diagnosed with Covid last month. He had severe breathing problems and had to be hospitalized for a couple of days. At first, we thought he was having an asthma attack due to bad AQI. But after checking that on Climacell and Iqair, we realized it was something else. He has recovered completely, so I don't think you have much to worry about. Still, it is better to be safe and get the necessary tests done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a growing consensus in Europe that long covid may be psychological rather than medical.

Majority of patients exhibiting symptoms of long covid are clear of the virus medically sound after full medical examination.
    Believe is that long covid in the majority of patients presenting with it are in fact suffering with a from of severe post traumatic stress.
    But like everything else with covid a lot more research is needed.

That is exactly what they said to and about folk who developed CFS/ME after a virus infection... Calling it AITM ….

It hasnothing to do with PTSD.

I was reading on the CFS/ME UK sites and there is a lot of active support and info being sent in by these associations to sufferers of long term covid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

I'm wondering are a lot of these "long covid" cases of people who were treated at the start of all this or say back around April/ May when the medical profession were still learning how to treat patients as it was all new. Apparently they've learned a lot since then and they know how to treat covid better now. It's only down the line we'll learn more about how more recent cases are affected I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think it's a cop out to say that long Covid is psychological. We don't understand enough about the virus and how it effects our body. If the lingering symptoms were panic attacks or headaches then yes, I'd say it might be psychological. But when it's stuff like your hair falling out or muscle aches and pains then I think it's much more likely to have a physical cause rather than a mental cause. That's just my non-scientific opinion.

This "growing consensus" is nonsense. What it is, is a theory, based on the fact that the medical community don't yet understand long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The notion that long Covid is regarded as psychological is just bunk and does not reflect current medical opinion. Below a statement by Anthony Fauci, Head of NIH, one of the most recognised and important medical bodies in the world to the American Medical Association.
    Several of these symptoms and indications of illness are clinically measurable and can not be a facet of imagination. Very depressing that people are so quick to minimise illness as psychological, not only because of the stigma and associated suffering that causes to those that are ill but also when it's so important that people do not contract this illness to face the same fate.
    Dr. Fauci : "We do know for absolutely certain that there is a post-COVID syndrome,” Dr. Fauci said. “Anywhere from 25% to 35%—or more—have lingering symptoms well beyond what you would expect from any post viral syndrome like influenza and others. It’s fatigue, shortness of breath, muscle aches, dysautonomia, sleep disturbances and what people refer to as brain fog,” he said, or an inability to focus or concentrate.

“That can last anywhere from weeks to months,” he explained. Cardiologists also report that even among asymptomatic COVID patients, about 60% have some indication of inflammation of the heart which may or may not have a future effect on cardiac health."

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/dr-fauci-offers-2021-forecast-covid-19-vaccines-treatments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The notion that long Covid is regarded as psychological is just bunk and does not reflect current medical opinion. Below a statement by Anthony Fauci, Head of NIH, one of the most recognised and important medical bodies in the world to the American Medical Association.
    Several of these symptoms and indications of illness are clinically measurable and can not be a facet of imagination. Very depressing that people are so quick to minimise illness as psychological, not only because of the stigma and associated suffering that causes to those that are ill but also when it's so important that people do not contract this illness to face the same fate.

Its crazy that anyone would think that. Hundreds of thousands suffering from a condition due to psychological reasons. Pharmaceutical drugs and some anti depressants cause long term side effects and this is denied by those companies and claimed to be psychological. It extremely condescending of people who did'nt suffer from that to just dismiss people that are suffering long term. The video I posted above is very interesting. Females far ore likely to suffer from this condition and people with Atopy Asthma, Rhinitis and Eczema seem more susceptible to picking this up. It seems their is strong immune response when contracting the virus and it remains in that state to some degree for some time. Likely to improve in time. This happens with some drugs too and the body struggles to adjust and can be altered permanently . Their are thousands in support groups on facebook trying to get their lives back in some cases. Its very worrrying but as this information is not mainstream its not seen as trustworthy

wadacrack wrote: »
    The notion that long Covid is regarded as psychological is just bunk and does not reflect current medical opinion.
    Its crazy that anyone would think that.
    :eek:

wadacrack wrote: »
    Females far ore likely to suffer from this condition and people with Atopy Asthma, Rhinitis and Eczema seem more susceptible to picking this up. It seems their is strong immune response when contracting the virus and it remains in that state to some degree for some time.

Earlier in this thread i have posted a link to dr. Paul E Marik's video where he is explaining current (at the end of September) understanding of all of that. Shortly speaking he does consider the illness split into four phases.

Phases.

1. "incubation period"

On the first stage virus getting into the body, settled in the nasopharynx and starting breading like crazy. It can distribute over some other areas in the body where appropriate tissues exist- lungs, guts (this is why you asked about diarrhea when passing COVID questionnary), brain (unlikely because of strong immune barrier), may be something else.

While virus is sitting and breading there it does not cause much damage or significant symptom. It just borrowing cells of your body for its own needs. These needs are to spread everywhere. Symptom-less first stage serves the purpose on the best way - the infected person still being unidentified does release into air millions of virions with each exhalation and they still flying in air for a long time. This is named as incubation period in dr.Marik's illustrations.

2. Symptomatic phase

After about 5 days since contamination, amount of the virus in the body reaching such huge density that immune system of the infected person recognises something is out of order and starting destroying the virus. Now we have symptomatic phase. To the 6th - 8th day virus suppressed by immune system.

3. Early pulmonary phase.

Virus is deactivated by immune system, but deactivated exemplars (virus is molecule, immune system damaging it somehow, but damaged molecule is still persist) of the virus are still in the body in huge amounts (viral debris by dr.Marik), concentrating mainly in the respiratory tract. This debris still having attributes of original virus, so immune system still attacking the lungs where it has biggest concentration causing early pulmonary phase.

4. Late pulmonary phase.

The last phase the immune system getting into desperate cytokine storm killing everything what it will find killable, no difference is it remains of the virus which was suppressed two weeks ago, or the body's own cells.

For each of these 4 phase dr. Marik have recommended specific approaches, it should be part of global COVID protocol now.

(Disclaimer: i'm not intnended to attribute achievements of global medical society to dr.Marik's team, just referring particular works, of course this is compilation of expirience of medical personnel around of whole world during the pandemy, a lot of this was understood from the findings Chinese specialists before pandemy even spread out of China, but practical approaches to address challenges of each phase took a time to develop and systematize).

Now about your findings from the video which i didn't watch.

In front of all, females are far less likely to suffer from disease than male, this is simple statistical fact :) Scientists are explaining this by cells of female body are somewhat more penetrable for immune system so it can deactivate virus on earlier stage, which is in line with dr.Marik's theory - the less viral debris you have, the less chances of "long covid" (i.e. phases 2, 3 and 4).

But females are also suffering, may be less severe, but they are. So i'd guess there is gradation of accessibility of cells to immune system (or of other factor if this theory will not be confirmed). Or may be females are just more accurate than males, obeying recommendations and less exposing themselves to the virus. By dr.Marik's hypothesis the less amount of virus you got - the lesser will be illness, as he told face mask will save your life even if you get covid. If you have no proper mask - bad mask will help you too, if you have no mask - any rag will be better than no protection at all. So i think may be reason of why ladies less suffering from covid just because they are generally better organised than these drunken b'astards males ;)

There is nothing surprising in "people with Atopy Asthma, Rhinitis and Eczema" and other pre-conditions (like age for example) suffering from covid more severe then these who has no pre-conditions. This is true by definition. Another question who in Ireland can say for sure she or he has no any pre-conditions...

Subsequences.

1. If your immune system have killed or significantly damaged your own organ - what you would consider "recovery" in this case? You are still alive - is this enough?

2. Do you remember what face mask haters were telling us recently? The mask, told they, decreasing amount of oxygen reaching our brain, unrecoverably damaging it. You can imagine how damaging can be hypoxia caused by COVID? I've read somewhere (dont remember where), most intriguing fact for ICU personnel was sometimes patients delivered to them had somewhat around 45% of oxygen in the blood which was considered impossible for alive humans, but they could looking well, concious and even feeling nothing suspicious because of neurotoxic effect caused by the virus. I think this will need further investigation, but the fact is. And, if these people were released from the hospital, if they happy and laughing non-stop, would you consider them recovered?

One more comment. If you had enough patience to read the text above, i simply do not understand why would not you go and check out information from the first hands instead of spending time on reading my non-professional interpretation of only part of it. smile.

something possibly of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The3rdTruth

Please get someone to buy you a bottle of organic elderberry syrup. That stuff is magic for colds and flu's. Admittedly, it works best when you use it early on after symptoms but it will help. Don't worry so much about recommended usage on the bottle, its for guidance only. I drank it straight out of the bottle. It's a natural product with very low risk and no side affects. Obviously get loads of Vitamin C and D into you with some echinachea as well. Stay away from Tamiflu and the likes which is severe on the body and proven to only reduce a flu length by half a day! Hope this helps.

discussion on long covid and post viral care especially gps and some latest cardaic research from Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Early in the pandemic I had all the symptoms of COVID, but never got tested as things were bad and I just assumed I had it and self isolated for several weeks.

I had a very bad cough, crackling lungs when l breathed, tight chest, body aches everywhere, a bad headache, high temp and very bad brain fog. I just stayed mostly in bed for a couple of weeks and it went away.

I mostly recovered but maybe after 7 or 8 weeks I was still coughing a bit and I didn’t feel myself.

The problem is that I genuinely haven’t felt right since and it’s now way too long ago to still be unwell.

I’m too lacking in energy and I get short of breath if I walk even up a steep hill and my joints are getting sore a lot - knees and back.

I was always somewhat prone to back pain but this is getting ridiculous. I’ve just spent several weeks with a stiff back, very bad back pain and my knees and feet have been in a similar state and it’s only slowly fading. It’s bad enough that I can’t get out of chairs or sit in chairs for any extended period and get stuck a lot.

If I walked to say a steep hill I would get so breathless that I need to sit down. I’m not talking just a bit breathless I literally can’t catch my breath at all and my heart rate goes fast enough to trigger smart watch warnings.

I’ve been putting it down to lack of access to the gym and my gp seems to be writing it off as laziness or that I have sunk into a slump due to lockdown but it isn’t accurate.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Could you get a test for Covid antibodies to check it out?

Advertisement