Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark to cull up to 17 million mink amid coronavirus fears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gw80 wrote: »
    Isn't Denmark the place where they slaughter all those whales every year ?

Thought that was the Faros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I was worried about animal to human transmission at the start of this whole mess because it would be hard to control. It's already hard to control human to human transmission but throw in animals into the mix, it will just get harder. Now we have minks transmitting to humans.

Just get masks for the minks problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

gw80 wrote: »
    Isn't Denmark the place where they slaughter all those whales every year ?

Doubtful, there's very shallow waters around Danmark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thought that was the Faros

That's correct, it's a Faroe Islands tradition.

They're an autonomous territory under Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think one take away lesson in this is how easily these coronavirus move from human-animal-human and return differently and often worse.

These animals would be farmed under clean organised conditions, yet this seems to have happened easily.

Easy to see in China how farmers catching wild animals and breeding at home in less than optimal conditions can introduce such a serious infectious virus into the human population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

They need to put the mink in classrooms, problem solved then.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

_Brian wrote: »
    Easy to see in China how farmers catching wild animals and breeding at home in less than optimal conditions can introduce such a serious infectious virus into the human population.

So why Irish human population is affected more than Chinese? Do you mean Irish doing this more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thats me wrote: »
    So why Irish human population is affected more than Chinese? Do you mean Irish doing this more often?

We’re not.
    The Chinese are living under massively restricted controls. Use of their tracking app is compulsory and people are quickly removed from the general population to stop spread. Here there’s loads of recommendations and requests to isolate, that loose approach is allowing much more transmission than among a highly controlled population who have zero choice but dimwit they are told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

UK bound flights from Denmark ended other than for UK citizens retuning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Beasty wrote: »
    I guess though that it's just as likely humans could harbour mutations. That seems to be the "beast" we are having to cope with

Shure why don't we just cull people to stop mutations then, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No, thats terrible journalism. I've just been in the Mink thread.

Six mutations have been seen on mink farms.

Only ONE of those mutations is the one they are a bit worried about, but not terribly worried about.

Akabusi wrote: »
    They need to put the mink in classrooms, problem solved then.

or feed each of them €9 worth of food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

wadacrack wrote: »

All that talking and she told us nothing of note

A one liner could have done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

As usual, focus on innocent animals instead of dealing with the ruddy chinese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

UK bound flights from Denmark ended other than for UK citizens retuning.

Has Ireland done likewise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

statesaver wrote: »

I read a headline in the Irish Examiner in the last half an hour saying Ireland was following suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Polar101 wrote: »
    That's correct, it's a Faroe Islands tradition.

They're an autonomous territory under Denmark.

I blame Brian Kerr

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

As usual, focus on innocent animals instead of dealing with the ruddy chinese.

[conspiracy] Given the virus appeared at the peak of pressure on Chinese, i'd doubt they are source of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There couldn’t be a more perfect environment for accelerating virus evolution than a mink farm. Covid has been found on mink farms in 5 countries in Europe. If they don’t shut down this filthy industry for good, it’ll be the end of us. And we’ll deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Multipass wrote: »
    There couldn’t be a more perfect environment for accelerating virus evolution than a mink farm. Covid has been found on mink farms in 5 countries in Europe. If they don’t shut down this filthy industry for good, it’ll be the end of us. And we’ll deserve it.

Yes we ****ed eventually

There are over 1m unknown viruses infecting animals in the world right now

About half have the capability to crossover to humans

Animals will take back this earth someday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Seamai wrote: »
    I read a headline in the Irish Examiner in the last half an hour saying Ireland was following suit.

saw there are only 3 mink farms in Ireland from this article

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/11/07/mink-farm-workers-and-families-in-donegal-to-be-tested-for-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

mvl wrote: »

Three is enough to cause havoc. Donegal figures already very high

Chicken and pig farms are also a nightmare for disease spreading. Strains of avian and swine flu have potential to do real damage. We need to eat less meat and stop factory farming. I think most people would choose risk of disease over cutting down on meat or it being more expensive however, so we kinda deserve what we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

statesaver wrote: »

Flight FR633 from Copenhagen lands at Dublin Airport at 8:10pm tonight - Absolutely no restrictions as to who may be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Calls to proactively “Dispose of” Irish Mink

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Flight FR633 from Copenhagen lands at Dublin Airport at 8:10pm tonight - Absolutely no restrictions as to who may be on it.

There could be minks on that plane!

Seriously our travel restrictions are a bad joke. Its like Italian ski trip time all over again.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fingers crossed we will be in the clear...

Testing at the three mink farms in the country has begun to see whether the virus is present in Irish minks. The Department of Agriculture said serial testing of all workers at these farms and their household contacts will also take place.
    - The Journal

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Why the f*ck do we have these farms here in this day and age? I really don't know how anyone involved in this kind of business sleeps at night. Scumbags.

Advertisement