Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Overload

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

My password for everything is my favourite footballer plus his shirt number. The fact that's he's nearly 20 years retired and largely irrelevant must means it's ultra secure like.

Nope, every site needs to have a unique password, if they get access to one they'll have access to them all. All they have to do is get you to register on a site you think is legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've had to reset 3 in the past hour. Not best practice but they are all being reset to the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In 2005 I just googled "strong password" and then used whatever came up first for everything; boards, my Bank of Ireland account, facebook, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nope, every site needs to have a unique password, if they get access to one they'll have access to them all. All they have to do is get you to register on a site you think is legit

I'll just have to take the chance as i'm too lazy to do that passwords website thing. having 3 or 4 passwords even is a pain in the hole, just non stop resetting passwords as I can never remember where I wrote down my latest password so I have to guess 6 or 7 passwords, then reset password anyway and all just to go on a website for 2 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'll just have to take the chance as i'm too lazy to do that passwords website thing. having 3 or 4 passwords even is a pain in the hole, just non stop resetting passwords as I can never remember where I wrote down my latest password so I have to guess 6 or 7 passwords, then reset password anyway and all just to go on a website for 2 minutes

I have one password, all others are random. It's not just a website, it's browser plugins and apps, my passwords auto fill on Linux, Windows and Android and even in apps, it couldn't be simpler. Are you really that lazy that you'll avoid spending a few mins educating yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Password must contain 8 characters, including one special character and a number...

Snow White and the seven dwarfs

Very creative!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I have one password, all others are random. It's not just a website, it's browser plugins and apps, my passwords auto fill on Linux, Windows and Android and even in apps, it couldn't be simpler. Are you really that lazy that you'll avoid spending a few mins educating yourself?

Hmm.. I really should look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I find a useful thing to do is to have a system for generating site-specific passwords based on a strong enough basic password and then a not-too-obvious system for making it unique to the site you are on. As an example. "hunter2" + the last two characters of a the website's url.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Password manager for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

> Enter your new password:

> PENIS

> Sorry, your password is too short.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement