Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Ring

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Enough. Posters are reminded to stay on-topic and not drag things into personal discussions. Thread bans will be issued next. I have deleted a number of recent off-topic posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It would always be precious to her because of what it represented, she said, which I thought was lovely.

I feel exactly the same. My token ring is quite plain with no stone so people had some comments when I first got it but I've loved it from the minute I got it because that is the ring my OH proposed with. It has memories of a really special holiday for us which obviously included getting engaged but for other reasons as well and I know that he put a lot of thought in to getting it, even choosing the change it from silver to white gold because he wanted me to be able to wear it forever. I couldn't not wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The first ring my husband ever got me was a cheap Argos ring for Christmas. We were 18 so it was probably the cheapest in the shop and in that time its lost some of its stones and got all bent out of shape and generally looks terrible compared to my other rings but its the one that means the most and I will never take it off.

A token ring will always have that connection to the proposal that no other ring will ever have and for that reason alone it will be very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Mellor wrote: »
    Whether it retains all its value or loses it immediately is kinda of irrelevant is you plan to keep it forever.
    And it’s actually one of the more rare elements. Not sure where you got the idea it’s common.

I agree that it’s a manufactured value. But your claims above are not true.

Not really as the cost is too high. Carbon is a very common element and diamond is just one of its forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not really as the cost is too high. Carbon is a very common element and diamond is just one of its forms.

The manufactured cost is an entirely separate point.
    You claimed carbon is a common element. I understand why you might assume that. But it isn’t true. It’s actually surprisingly rare overall. The fact diamond is only a fraction of its forms doesn’t exactly help the point.

• Advertisement

The manufactured cost is an entirely separate point.
    You claimed carbon is a common element. I understand why you might assume that. But it isn’t true. It’s actually surprisingly rare overall. The fact diamond is only a fraction of its forms doesn’t exactly help the point.

Carbon is in Coal, oil, living and dead creatures and in the air as CO2 not rare at all. 43,500 Billion tonnes in the Earths surfce! Not counting within the planet. Diamonds can also be man made so not at all not rare either.

Carbon is in Coal, oil, living and dead creatures and in the air as CO2 not rare at all. 43,500 Billion tonnes in the Earths surfce! Not counting within the planet. Diamonds can also be man made so not at all not rare either.
    Rarity is relative. You claim it's more common that other elements. That isn't true. The fact it's in coal doesn't change that. 43,500 Billion tonnes is not a lot relative to the entire mass.

Carbon is one of the basic biologic elements. Yet it's much rare than other basic elements.
    The mass-abundance of the nine most abundant elements in the Earth's crust is approximately: oxygen 46%, silicon 28%, aluminum 8.3%, iron 5.6%, calcium 4.2%, sodium 2.5%, magnesium 2.4%, potassium 2.0%, and titanium 0.61%. Other elements occur at less than 0.15%.

Carbon is not even in the top 15. It's down as low as 0.02%. Which is equal to 1/5000th. Twice are rare as strontium (that most people haven't even heard of).

I'm not claiming that diamonds are rare. I'm pointing out that your claim about carbon is wrong. This isn't a complicated point.

Rarity is relative. You claim it's more common that other elements. That isn't true. The fact it's in coal doesn't change that. 43,500 Billion tonnes is not a lot relative to the entire mass.

Carbon is one of the basic biologic elements. Yet it's much rare than other basic elements.

Carbon is not even in the top 15. It's down as low as 0.02%. Which is equal to 1/5000th. Twice are rare as strontium (that most people haven't even heard of).

I'm not claiming that diamonds are rare. I'm pointing out that your claim about carbon is wrong. This isn't a complicated point.

My claim is not wrong as it is easily available on Earth's surface to anyone. Wne you burn toast what do you get? The 'lead' in a pencil (graphite) hardly rare.

My claim is not wrong as it is easily available on Earth's surface to anyone. Wne you burn toast what do you get? The 'lead' in a pencil (graphite) hardly rare.

You compared it to other elements. Compared to them it is more rare. This is really simple. Not sure if you are struggling with the words or the numbers. But I’m fine.

You compared it to other elements. Compared to them it is more rare. This is really simple. Not sure if you are struggling with the words or the numbers. But I’m fine.

Compare it to the amount in the Universe sixth most common element. Easily available to us on Earth therefore not rare at all at all. Simple.

from Wiki
    'Carbon is the 15th most abundant element in the Earth's crust, and the fourth most abundant element in the universe by mass after hydrogen, helium, and oxygen. Carbon's abundance, its unique diversity of organic compounds, and its unusual ability to form polymers at the temperatures commonly encountered on Earth enables this element to serve as a common element of all known life. It is the second most abundant element in the human body by mass (about 18.5%) after oxygen.'

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mellor and saabsaab thread ban for 24 hours.

There has already been a mod warning for off-topic posting. Please keep replies on topic and helpful to the OP, debates on the rarity of Carbon can be taken to PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Luca G

Alri so dont no what was going on there .
    Let's get back to engagement rings

Im thinking I will let her pick out a platinum ring as I think that's the best so I have been told looking at tiffany platinum rings at the moment.

But will use a token ring to propose as dont want to spend a couple of grand and it doesnt fit properly.

I have brought a ring in before while getting her a ring year or two ago but stil ended up being a bit to big for her, Wont be doing that this time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Luca G wrote: »
    Im thinking I will let her pick out a platinum ring as I think that's the best so I have been told looking at tiffany platinum rings at the moment.

Em maybe don't limit her to just platinum. Yes it's probably the "best" metal of ring to get but it doesn't mean she'll like it. I always wore silver jewellery & was convinced I'd get either a platinum or white gold ring. I ended up falling in love with yellow gold rings & turns out yellow gold really suits me.

If you're letting her pick out the ring, let her pick the ring. The only thing you should maybe limit is the price you're willing to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

If you're letting her pick out the ring, let her pick the ring. The only thing you should maybe limit is the price you're willing to pay.

This!

I mean I'm sure you'll discuss it together anyway. You can let her know what you've researched, that you think platinum is the best metal and that you're happy to pay for that - IF it's what she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i spent 3k on the button , she wears it everyday and loves it so it must be ok ?

Em maybe don't limit her to just platinum. Yes it's probably the "best" metal of ring to get but it doesn't mean she'll like it. I always wore silver jewellery & was convinced I'd get either a platinum or white gold ring. I ended up falling in love with yellow gold rings & turns out yellow gold really suits me.

Beware pools chlorine can damage platinum and 'white' gold engagement rings!

Sorry I should of said, she has said in the past that platinum would be her favourite but are expensive so that was planted in my head haha

She can look at any other rings aswell I'm just sure she would go for platinum but never know until she puts other ones on.

Sorry I should of said, she has said in the past that platinum would be her favourite but are expensive so that was planted in my head haha

She can look at any other rings aswell I'm just sure she would go for platinum but never know until she puts other ones on.

Ah right. Yeah don't ever assume. I was convinced I wanted white gold & a cushion shaped diamond cluster. Nope I ended up falling in love with a yellow gold solitare with baguette diamonds on either side. I still love the look of the other type but when I tried them on, they weren't making my heart sing.

I'd recommend going into a good jewellers and asking to see a selection of different types and also for their opinion. I found the ones we went to were good at suggesting what would look nice on my hand without it being the most expensive one in our budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Danny552

Is it just me or is it not better to get a ring for around 1k or 2k instead of a token ring then get a ring she wants for around 5k you never see people put a picture up after getting engaged with a token ring on there mostly nice looking rings.

If you propose on hoilday she wouldn't put a picture up of a token ring would have to wait to get home then go pick out what she likes .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Danny552 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it not better to get a ring for around 1k or 2k instead of a token ring then get a ring she wants for around 5k you never see people put a picture up after getting engaged with a token ring on there mostly nice looking rings.

If you propose on hoilday she wouldn't put a picture up of a token ring would have to wait to get home then go pick out what she likes .

I don’t know anyone who would spend 1-2k on a ring so they’ll get a few extra likes on Instagram. It took my now husband a few months to get over the shock of the price of one ring, Wed have needed a defibrillator on stand by if someone told him he had to buy two.

• Advertisement

I very happily and excitedly put up a picture of my token ring when we got engaged which you can see attached here. It was 6 months later before we got the "official" ring and it never bothered me at all.

I'd think my fiancé was insane and stupid tbh if he spent that much on a token ring only to plan on buying another ring as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

My actual engagement ring cost 2k. So no, personally I think it's madness to spend that much on a token ring or whatever you choose to call it!

We didn't go public with an announcement at first. We wanted to tell a lot of people ourselves and we didn't want them finding out from social media. By the time I shared the news on Facebook, I actually had my engagement ring, but it was my engagement puffin photo that I shared! That's what he proposed with and had the story to go with it. I didn't feel the need to go flashing a rock online.

If propose with token ring and then go out looking for what she likes how long would it take to get do they have to go off and make it for the size or would you be able to get it there and then.

I think we wouldn't be putting it up on soical media straight away.
    We would want to tell a few people in person first even if it's a token ring dont know why it would matter you can show them the real engagement ring once your other half picks one she like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If propose with token ring and then go out looking for what she likes how long would it take to get do they have to go off and make it for the size or would you be able to get it there and then.

You might get it there and then, but you might have to wait. I picked a ring, it was too small, so I had to wait for them to resize it

I happily took pictures of my token ring & while I didn't put them on social media that was because we wanted to tell people in person. I happily showed off the ring to everyone. In fact it was 4 months before I got my "proper" ring so I was very happy with wearing it all that time. I now even wear it on my right hand. I think it cost about €300. And just coz it's a token ring, doesn't mean it can't be nice looking.

It depends on what you get. So mine had to get sized and valued and checked because it was an antique (needed to make sure that everything was ok with it). That took about a week from when it was purchased to when it was on my finger. I know with some jewellers we looked at, I would have possibly been able to walk out with it there & then as they keep some sizes in stock in the rings so had them ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Planning on taking the plunge in the next couple of months.

One thing: is there mark on a ring to tell you the size of it? I would borrow one of her rings on the sly so I know it fits if there were jewelers open, but since it'll have to be done online, I am in a bit of pickle. Afraid she will catch me in the act as well :D

Another thing: I plan to spend between 1-1.5K on a ring (we have previously discussed not having an expensive wedding), but am I better buying a generic ring for the proposal, and letting her chose her ring thereafter? I don't think what I pick will suffice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

One thing: is there mark on a ring to tell you the size of it? I would borrow one of her rings on the sly so I know it fits if there were jewelers open, but since it'll have to be done online, I am in a bit of pickle. Afraid she will catch me in the act as well :D

Another thing: I plan to spend between 1-1.5K on a ring (we have previously discussed not having an expensive wedding), but am I better buying a generic ring for the proposal, and letting her chose her ring thereafter? I don't think what I pick will suffice :D

You could buy a measurement tool on Amazon but if she finds it be hard to explain. Meowoo Ring Sizer UK Measurement Scales Kit Tools for Measuring Rings Diameters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07798HG23/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_QOJ9FbTRJDVMY

I bought a cheap ring to propose from Claire’s accessories I think. We then went and picked a ring together. I never would have picked the ring she ended up with as it was nothing like the rings she had ever said she liked.

I know my wife still has the cheap ring in the jewellery box upstairs.

Chupi have a ring sizer on their website that you can against one of her rings. You can put the ring on your phone screen and measure it on the screen.

Do you think she'd prefer to pick her own ring? If so go for a token ring and then you guys can enjoy a day ring shopping together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement