Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What famous Irish person has the most annoying accent?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

What - no mention of Mary-Lou yet?
    What kind of accent is that anyway? She doesn’t even try to do a “soft Irish T” anymore, now it’s just “sh”. All rye-sh. The fye-sh against injustice. It mye-sh take a long time. Uuurgh

On the other hand, I wish people would leave Britn... uh... Katie Taylor alone. A quiet and humble lady who comes back with a cartload of medals for her country deserves a little better than being mocked for her voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

Saoirse Ronans Dub patois

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Saoirse Ronans Dub patois

Sounds like a boards user name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sonia o Sullivan always grinded my gears.

Special mention for any sports person(usually female but there's exceptions) who says "I suppose" 50 times in a 2 minute interview!

My ears!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Not famous of course but well known Lisa Murphy the one Flatley dumped
    Actually his accent is desperate too !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PJ Gallagher. Nasal f*cker. It’s like listening to a really annoying kinda-broken drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭josip

I respectfully propose Joan Burton.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHCmzvzCmhI

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omackeral wrote: »
    PJ Gallagher. Nasal f*cker. It’s like listening to a really annoying kinda-broken drill.

Bordering on junkie-like whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Dara O'Briain, always looks like he's literally eating his accent.

Yeah, we know you're Irish, so are millions of other people, what's your point?

Ronnie Whelan's lived on Merseyside since 1979 or thereabouts, plus it's a place with a very strong accent that isn't miles removed from ours, so I'd cut him a bit of slack there, people's accents can change throughout their lives, more subtly though in later life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Miriam O Callaghan. Her voice is like nails on a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

No idea what her name is but who ever is the presenter at 9am Saturday morning on newstalk literally gives me the heeby geebies have to turn her straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

No idea what her name is but who ever is the presenter at 9am Saturday morning on newstalk literally gives me the heeby geebies have to turn her straight off.

The weather lady from the whest who occasionally appears in the lovely ‘gúnaí’ .......can’t of think her name.......she has that real ‘whest of eyr-land’ lilt/intonation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    The weather lady from the whest who occasionally appears in the lovely ‘gúnaí’ .......can’t of think her name.......she has that real ‘whest of eyr-land’ lilt/intonation

Is that the one with the stupid over the top weather report that went viral ?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Another vote for mcgregor.

How is anyone is expected to take that seriously?

The whole tough guy image evaporates as soon as he opens his mouth and that little drone escapes. I remember people saying he had a career ahead of him in hollywood but that was never going to happen with pipsqueak vocal cords

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Is that the one with the stupid over the top weather report that went viral ?

Don't make unnecessary assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't make unnecessary assumptions

No I think that was the lovely Siobhan Ryan....??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Thread needs a poll (mail in ballots allowed)

I see that Mary-Lou is not listed. Once again the FF-FG old boys’ club have put their own agendas ahead of the need of the workers. Unfortunately we are well used to this appalling something something blah blah etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FearanPhoist99

Bishop of Meath used to call the Holy Spirit the Holy Spirt. And would go on for ages in this ponderous voice. Confirmations went on for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FearanPhoist99

Philip Boucher Hayes sonorous voice on the radio, he constantly sounds smug, he can't help it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

don't trust the poll results, they didn't survive the migration

although looking at them, maybe they did? who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The YouTube guy from the midlands. And he says "top of the morning", he has no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,951 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So many to choose from OP, but I know the list was not meant to be exhaustive.

Joe Duffy ( Inabilty in general pronunciation)

Lord Philip Boucher Hayes (Pompous in over drive)

Miriam "Genuinely" O Callagahan

Leo Varadkar "We're all in this together"

Not So Famous Category (Despite what they think 😁)

Brian Dowling, Ghastly

Martin King,, "Gowanoutofdat"

Vougue Williams

Ronan Keating "Shorry"

Alan Hughes & Karl Broderick (A perfect match made in the world of annoyance)

Eddie Hobbs (I fear he's back 😳)

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the winner , in fact any Protestant golfer that moves to the southern states of America

• Registered Users Posts: 26,951 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

RTE could help us however, put him on berween 2am to 4am weeknights 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Explain to me how accents are as "important as the clothes we wear in how we attempt to project ourselves to the world". What am I missing here? We choose to buy and wear our clothes, my accent is something I do not think about, I speak a certain way because of my upbringing and groups I identified with. For the most part accents are subconscious so how can they be compared to the clothes we choose to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Heather Humphries TD

Advertisement