Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What famous Irish person has the most annoying accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Shane Ross. Youd say something if he sounded posh Dublin but he literally has an English accent.

I really thought Deidre O Kane would have been the most popular choice.

It's not her accent that's annoying - it's her shrill tone and vocal intonation

Julian whatshisname, the continuity ITV announcer

Ah here, he's a wee National Treasure from Norn Iron so he is. Harmless old lad - bumped into him with my parents in Dun Laoghaire shopping centre back in the day - really warm and personable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ah here, he's a wee National Treasure from Norn Iron so he is. Harmless old lad - bumped into him with my parents in Dun Laoghaire shopping centre back in the day - really warm and personable.

Are u sure it wasn't a big shopping centre in Ballymena hai?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seamai wrote: »
    I always think that he sounds like he's putting the accent on but is badly let down by his poor "th" pronunciation.

And the fact that he clamps his jaws closed when he speaks .

• Advertisement

Good old 1990's UTV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Katie Taylor (arf arf arf - seal like sounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I really thought Deidre O Kane would have been the most popular choice.

100%, her accent/voice is naturally condescending and insincere. I know she is supposedly a comedian so I assumed she put this voice on as part of her schtick. But I've heard her doing serious interviews and it's the exact same voice. Like nails on a chalkboard for me. Jennifer Zamparelli gets an honorable mention for the same reasons

Another vote for mcgregor.

How is anyone is expected to take that seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

Blindboy Boatclub

Any comedian who does the bogger/exaugurated cultchie accent grinds my gears

Blindboy has more of a strong nasal Limerick city accent. I like it but could understand how it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

brian odriscoll, that nauseating mid atlantic accent is horrific..

robbie keane wouldnt be a great one either...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Not overly famous but I get into some fceking mood when she comes on telly...

Virgin Media's Zara King.... She's from Waterford isn't she? What the F?

Move to Dublin, develop a tone....jebus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There's this girl that regularly does voiceovers for Irish ads who speaks with a very soft, childlike D4 accent. It does my nut in when I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Shane Ross. Youd say something if he sounded posh Dublin but he literally has an English accent.

Is he not English? I always assumed he was English.

ps- Jesus Christ...I have just Googled him. He has no connections with England so where the eff did the English accent come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's pure limerick citay, boi

Firstly we say kid not boi and blindboys accent is fake. No one from his part of Limerick talk like that he is appropriating a working class accent.

I don't mind it as long as he keeps it to the comedy character but if your gonna get political show your real face and voice.

Miriam, D. Gavin, Rachel Allen and any of the forced over the top Kerry or north Dub accents drive me nuts.

Marty's accent might be odd but at least it's actually Marty's accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

ps- Jesus Christ...I have just Googled him. He has no connections with England so where the eff did the English accent come from?

Practice.

Or the Limavady leisure centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

shane ross isnt english? wtf? no connection? how is that possible? i was sure he was some anglo-irish relic from a big house, patron of the local cricket and rugby team, protestant middle class etc...

gourcuff wrote: »
    shane ross isnt english? wtf? no connection? how is that possible? i was sure he was some anglo-irish relic from a big house, patron of the local cricket and rugby team, protestant middle class etc...

Just wishes he was. He was from a big house though was it not the one used in "Normal People"

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Firstly we say kid not boi and blindboys accent is fake. No one from his part of Limerick talk like that he is appropriating a working class accent.

Hard to beat a more irritating voice than on that gob****e reporter on RTE News Philip Bromwell.....a West Brit to the hilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Went to school and then to Uni in England, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Julian whatshisname, the continuity ITV announcer

Is he still alive ? Haven’t set eyes on him since they took UTV off ( one good thing to come out of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

trashcan wrote: »
    Is he still alive ? Haven’t set eyes on him since they took UTV off ( one good thing to come out of it).

Tbh I thought I heard he died a few years ago, butwikipedia has him as very much alive
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Simmons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Surely already said in here, got to be Dáithí Ó Sé...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

The guys who founded stripe. Really fake sounding american accent. Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

michael mcmullen

Would you believe me if I said that he's from Antrim?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Would you believe me if I said that he's from Antrim?!?!

Amazed at that, I thought he was a Dublin 4 rugby Ross O'Carroll Kelly type, that makes it worse, if that was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mentioned him before but the poor old sod who does the traffic on DublinCityFM. He can’t pronounce his R’s whatsoever and it’s really grating. I know it’s not his fault but it’s difficult to listen to.

“Wanelagh to Wathmines is weally heavy, backed up to Hawold’s Cwoss”

Paschal Donohoe does that too. Can't take him seriously at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was listening to Maura Higgins recently, she seems to speak clearer than her love island days but in fairness that Midlands accent was laid on thick in her early days.
    Bit of an english twang I thought too.

is she a traveller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Al Porter. His whiney voice is equivalent to someone running their nails across a blackboard. Thankfully we don't hear much from him these days.

Advertisement