Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black & Decker Workmate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

bladespin wrote: »
    Used mine (cheapo lidl variant) until it fell apart after years of use/abuse, am I the only one???

I've got a couple of these; one is in our kitchen (seriously!) still waiting for its "temporary" job as the legs for our kitchen table to be made redundant by me making new legs: https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/5/10/making-a-kitchen-table-from-a-workbench-and-an-off-cut-of-kitchen-counter-top

.. and the other in my workshop where it has also ended up being pretty much a permanent fixture with a 100cmx75cm piece of 19mm WBP on top being used as a mini-bench.

Also have a B&D Workmate Pro that my parents gave me as a present when we moved house a few years ago, it too has ended up as a semi-permanent fixture holding my router table. I think the pro has a bit more weight to it than the standard one these days but still not as solid/stable as my Dad's original one that's multiple decades old.

Like several others on the thread I just use a couple of sawhorses with some random boards when I need a temporary bench somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    I've been using attic loft boards for a while, but they've curled a bit. Any particular type (XPS? EPS?) or thickness?

Whatever you can lay your hands on tbh. But XPS would be best due to density. Glue it to a slim piece of OSB or ply and you have a ready made cutting bench. Safe one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd agree with the wooden sawhorse. I made two of those I beam horses, and better still the 4x2's were free. An old door thrown across them makes a handy enough outside/portable bench, and the shape of the I beam means you can clamp pieces to them as well

Advertisement