Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black & Decker Workmate

Options
  • 02-11-2020 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭

I'm told that the new versions of these are not the same quality of the old workmate... My budget is limited, so I'm looking at alternatives. It will live in the shed, folded away, and only get used outside... I'm in a new house so budget is limited, due to the fact I find myself buying everything... Literally everything that exists... It's just for general household stuff... Making some simple cabinets, storage for the shed and some planters in the garden...

Any opinions on the Ryobi:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BHVS3DC?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

The Wolfcraft has an MDF top, so it's out of the question, plus it costs a bit more...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001GRVK0/ref=psdcmw_10257119031_t2_B00BHVS3DC

I'm pretty sure for my budget, I'm not going to get anything quality, but something reasonable would be good. The Ryobi looks good, very mixed reviews, but maybe if i put it together well, it'll do the job...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This the the B&D option... In fairness, it does look more sturdy. But also looks like it'll occupy more space in an already restricted shed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-WM536-Height-Workmate/dp/B0001GRVWI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

My opinion? Forget the " Black and Decker 'Workmate' ". It was a thing of it's time. Like a monument to what was once our western world.

I now have a Keter work table. Check those out. Sniff around. I firmly believe there are 'Just As Good' similar ones out there. Maybe better.

Frankly? This thing'll never come close to replacing my Original 'B&D Workmate', bought back when they first came out. But, it does pretty much what I ask of it.

This is a matter liable to raise 'Opinions'! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't understand workmate type products. They look too small for cutting full sheets or 16ft timber, and that's usually the first thing I have to do.

I have a pair of steel trestles with adjustable legs, on to which I put a few lengths of scrap wood and whatever leftover ply I have lying around.

I keep meaning to build a proper frame I can keep in the basement to speed up the setup.

I should really buy a portable gazebo so I can work in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Like Lumen, IMO workmates promise more potential than the actually deliver. The work rarely fits it.

I used to have an old B&D workmate that my Dad gave me. I kinda regret getting rid of it now, but more out of nostalgia than because it was useful.

I tend to use a couple of trestles and one of those super jaw gizmos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-SJA100XL-Portable-Clamping-2X-Large/dp/B076FMFMGR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=super+jaws&qid=1604302264&s=diy&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-MSA200-Freestanding-Tripod-Multi-Stand/dp/B002QRWH2E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=triton+trestles&qid=1604302838&s=diy&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with the others. I have a workmate that rarely is used except as a prop or support. Something rock solid with a decent vice attached (I like the look of that jaw thingy, if it is solid) is the most important thing. For everything else you can use a couple of old chairs. Not really a set up for doing anything fancy though :D

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Agree with the others. I have a workmate that rarely is used except as a prop or support. Something rock solid with a decent vice attached (I like the look of that jaw thingy, if it is solid) is the most important thing. For everything else you can use a couple of old chairs. Not really a set up for doing anything fancy though :D

Very solid. Mine's a bit bashed about now and the jaws are not 100% reliable. Its temperamental. You can still hold most things (a door on its edge if you wish) and hold with your foot on the peddle, but I tend to need them both to stand on. If I were doing a decent carpentry job, I'd probably replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lightweight-portable-workbench/3746p

25 quid

I have two of these to scratch the workmate itch for propping or support, they get used as needed, they are fine quality/weight bearing wise.

Oh no, I have a problem.. I need to stop spending money

Just ordered a set of these...
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/storage-and-gear/sawhorses/metal-folding-sawhorse/dwst11155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have 2 workmates, one is 20 years old the other a more recent version; none of them match the original workmate (those ones with the cast alloy folding frame members) in terms of quality. I don't use them very much I must admit but they do come into their own on occasion. The most recent addition comes with a laminated bamboo top, which while quite thin is pretty robust. I beefed up the top on this by gluing some strips of decent ply to the underside, increasing jaw thickness and allowing better pipe holding ability on the v groove. If you have nothing else (and no proper workbench, which I didn't for many years) a workmate will help you get by. More recently I use it if I'm doing jobs away from the home and as a stand for my small chop saw. They don't take up too much space when folded down so I won't be getting rid of them just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I've had my workmate for 25 years and while it doesn't do everything it has been the second most useful tool I've had in that time after my stepladder. They last forever and can be taken anywhere. Trestles are very useful also but when you just want a flexible portable bench the workmate is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a 30 yr old workmate my Dad bought me when I moved into my house, I still use it a lot, lives in the shed normally but it's in the sunroom at the moment as I have a little project to do. Great for smaller jobs, obviously not much good for an 8x4 sheet type job. For cutting them the odd time I use them I prop the sheet on paint cans in the driveway and cut away moving around the cans for support as needed.

Depends on the size of jobs you will be doing, I have found it very handy but I'm not familiar with the newer ones, this old one is fine and strong but for small jobs I'd imagine a flimsier one would work grand too.

Bluefoam wrote: »

https://www.dewalt.com/products/storage-and-gear/sawhorses/metal-folding-sawhorse/dwst11155

If you get a sheet of ply and and screw two bits of 4x2 (check measurement) they'll drop into the grooves on the trestles, giving you a table/bench.

You can screw scraps of wood to it to hold a piece and if you accidentally cut it, what harm. I've got an old bit of 1" shuttering ply, its cut and drilled but its still fine.

Plus it all dismantles easily to be put away.

These are the sawhorses I have. They're badass.

I think they were £128 + VAT for the pair.

Toughbuilt C700 Saw Horse Adjustable Jobsite Table

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Lumen wrote: »

image.png

Wow those look pretty. I went with a ghetto option and built 4 of these yokes

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g2456/how-to-build-stackable-sawhorses-from-a-few-2x4s/

Romer wrote: »

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g2456/how-to-build-stackable-sawhorses-from-a-few-2x4s/

DIY win!

Wooden sawhorses have the major advantage of less swearing if you accidentally run a circular saw into them.

But I needed the adjustable ones as my garden has a 1:10 slope and I often set them up on that slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

DIY win!

Wooden sawhorses have the major advantage of less swearing if you accidentally run a circular saw into them.

But I needed the adjustable ones as my garden has a 1:10 slope and I often set them up on that slope.

I hear that. The place i just bought is old. As in 1800's old. Not a level floor or square wall in the house. The slabbed yard out the back is no better. Sure I just shave a bit off the leg here and there. In about 6 months I'll have 4 saw horses that are 50 cm tall. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Used mine (cheapo lidl variant) until it fell apart after years of use/abuse, am I the only one???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bladespin wrote: »
    Used mine (cheapo lidl variant) until it fell apart after years of use/abuse, am I the only one???

Got a Dargan Tools one back in 1997 or so, with the MDF boards on the top, left it out in the rain, left it in a shed and the roof blew off, used it as a makeshift ladder, hit it with saws and routers - and it lasted til 2 or 3 years ago until the MDF just snapped. Amazingly I still held on to all 4 of the little plastic yokes that go into the holes on the top.

Had moved on from workmates at that stage so never bothered fixing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

The recent B&D Work mate model is idea for small jobs around the house. Been doing quite a bit of home improvements, and it has been a great help.

It does have its limitations, but for me personally so far it has been grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DIY win!

If you have space to keep a sheet of 8x4 foam board. Use that under any boards your cutting.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    If you have space to keep a sheet of 8x4 foam board. Use that under any boards your cutting.

I've been using attic loft boards for a while, but they've curled a bit. Any particular type (XPS? EPS?) or thickness?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That is not a problem. The problem would be if You didn’t Make the purchase. Very cool looking things. I want.

The recent B&D Work mate model is idea for small jobs around the house. Been doing quite a bit of home improvements, and it has been a great help.

It does have its limitations, but for me personally so far it has been grand.

In fairness, if you invest in one of the better B&D benches, they seem to be of a much higher quality and design, but once I started looking in that price range I was lead* into saw horses and they just seemed to suit my needs better...

... The whole thing is a minefield. Pocket holes are the next item on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In fairness, if you invest in one of the better B&D benches, they seem to be of a much higher quality and design, but once I started looking in that price range I was less into saw horses and they just seemed to suit my needs better...

... The whole thing is a minefield. Pocket holes are the next item on the list.

Need one of them myself.

My bank account's cringing in the corner. In a cold sweat! :D

image.png

That's a serious bit of kit.!

I've had cheap tools in the past, but while I was renting a few years ago, decided to start getting better tools in anticipation of buying a house .. I want stuff that I can rely on... I don't posses skills with DIY, but I do like to be able to take on whatever work is needed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,427 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have the Tactix cheapo equivalent of the workmate. It's ok but the usages are fairly limited unless you're just working on small things. It's fairly useless for cutting things with any sort of power saw.

I'd buy 2 sawhorses and a cheap sheet of ply or something instead.

These are the sawhorses I have.

Is it sad that I get excited by a set of sawhorses ?:D

The 2x4 slots are a nice touch.

Romer wrote: »

:eek: That's done it! 2x4's now on my shopping list. I'll make a pair of them, just to irritate my mate! I Love showing off what tools I have to him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

looksee wrote: »

So the same day I said the above I made a liar out of myself. Putting up shelves in a garage that does not yet have any work surfaces...so what got hauled out to provide one? Yes the Draper 'workmate'.

Advertisement