Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

One that got me, not annoying but, the jacks and the John.

Now my interpretation of that is that Jack is another name for John, as my uncle used to refer to my dad as Jack but his name was John. My father's side of the family would be country folk. Now I don't know why jack is another name for John so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

boardise wrote: »
    Americans never took to the good old Anglo-Saxon 'arse' ...instead giving us the less rumbustious 'ass' not to mention 'hiney' - presumably derived from 'hind' (quarters).

Canadians used to say arse for a long time and now, I suppose more of us have erased the anglo influence over time.

My dad used to say arse, I still do.

Now my interpretation of that is that Jack is another name for John, as my uncle used to refer to my dad as Jack but his name was John. My father's side of the family would be country folk. Now I don't know why jack is another name for John so to speak

They used to call John Kennedy "Jack" in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

BailMeOut wrote: »
    They do not pronounce the H in Herb for some reason.

I first discovered that watching an old episode of the Twilight Zone, storyline involved something about a herb antidote so "erb" was mentioned continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Kaybaykwah wrote: »

But why? And is it why they called the jacks the John?

• Advertisement

A coffee "to go" instead of a takeaway coffee. It always irritates me.

...and drive-in restaurants or counters are take-outs in U.S. or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Canadians used to say arse for a long time and now, I suppose more of us have erased the anglo influence over time.

Do or did Canadians call cigarettes fags? I've a vague memory of it being called that in an episode of Kids From Degrassi St, think it was that show anyway or one of the spinoffs.

Lol. I have no idea.

Years ago, in Montreal, there used to be a company for chemical toilets that was called Johnny-on-the-spot.

There are a lot of now English words in the American vernacular that are of Dutch, German, French and Spanish origin.

Cookies comes from the Dutch colonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jack charlton gave us the name jack it was mainly John’s here before then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why would words used by Americans, living in America, presumably speaking to other Americans, annoy someone living in 3000 miles away in another country?
    Because thereare so many American programmes on our telly. It's and invasion be...ahem...'culture'.
    American english is superior english anyway so i'm glad it's getting more common in Ireland :)
    Is it time for a frog in a blender? :pac:

I always like that in Stargate, when the characters referred to a Zero Point
    Module (technobabble), the Americans would call it a Zee Pee Emm while the Canadians called it a Zed Pee Emm. :D

The things that annoy me are their Pronunciations of Iraq (EYE-raq), Iran (EYE-ran), and Moscow (Mos-COW like a bovine animal).

Another thing is when somebody accidently does something, they say they did it "on accident" instead of "by accident". I haven't heard it very regularly, but enough to annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Calling someone's fringe 'bangs' just annoys me.

Is that what that means?

I've often heard americans say it and i never had a clue what they meant!

Presumable also rugby hand egg as well

Def more eggshaped than American or Canadian football, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

John harrington

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Sem-eye final or a sem-eye truck.

Because thereare so many American programmes on our telly. It's and invasion be...ahem...'culture'.

Is it time for a frog in a blender? :pac:

I always like that in Stargate, when the characters referred to a Zero Point
    Module (technobabble), the Americans would call it a Zee Pee Emm while the Canadians called it a Zed Pee Emm. :D

The things that annoy me are their Pronunciations of Iraq (EYE-raq), Iran (EYE-ran), and Moscow (Mos-COW like a bovine animal).

Another thing is when somebody accidently does something, they say they did it "on accident" instead of "by accident". I haven't heard it very regularly, but enough to annoy me.

Yep, Eye-talian always cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Resisting arrest = we shot him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They have this shítty cheap pressed meat called balogna - somehow it's pronounced baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A desert is something you see in eye-rack, not eye-ur-land ;)

Damn it I hate getting things wrong in a thread about how dumb other people are

Do or did Canadians call cigarettes fags? I've a vague memory of it being called that in an episode of Kids From Degrassi St, think it was that show anyway or one of the spinoffs.

Maybe some do, but I've never encountered anyone that did.

scotchy wrote: »
    Using the word freaking instead of fu@king.

:rolleyes:

Golly that does annoy me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Yes, the way americans speak can be so, like, "fruss-trating".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

"I could care less" is a really annoying phrase they use, it's supposed to be "I couldn't care less"

"Are you done with this?".

Yes, I reply. I am finished.

Bathroom... when someone just wants to sit on the pot. They are so ridiculous about that.

But that's their way.

"Excuse me, but where's your restroom?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The call the band Blink 182 "Blink One Eighty Two", and not "Blink One Eight Two".

The call the band Blink 182 "Blink One Eighty Two", and not "Blink One Eight Two".

The accents on that band are actually a pretty good example of what I can't stand about American voices

"Excuse me, but where's your restroom?"

Lol. I can imagine a Peggy Sue in a bouffant hairdo in nineteen sixties Houston. She just downed a lot of pink ladies and is now frantically scoping out the "powder room".

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The accents on that band are actually a pretty good example of what I can't stand about American voices

The one thing about bands in general, wherever they are from is the need to give a Southern twang to their delivery.

I always got a kick from Mick Jagger putting on his fake Cockney in reg'lar speech and go for that Texas drawl in his lyrical delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Takeout instead of takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

"I'll have a John Daniels."

"Don't you mean Jack?"

"When you know him as well as I do you can call him John."

Advertisement