Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

How can you listen to so many stations?

I don't listen to them all, but certainly 5 or 6 I have listened to have had three jingles (e.g. 98FM, FM104, Classic Hits, KFM, ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

You know better than the people who compile dictionaries?

https://www.onelook.com/?w=irregardless&ls=a&loc=home_ac_irre

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Rubbish thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why do most Irish radio stations use American accents in their jingles? Do they outsource the recording to a third party in the US or is there another reason?

It's the usual streets paved-with-gold infatuation with the States. We were always closer to Boston than Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

764dak wrote: »
    Rubbish thread

Garbage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Purgative wrote: »
    My one major bugbear is Math, as in "You do the Math".

FFS its Maths short for Mathematics and even the feckin snidey spellchecker picks it up as wrong. Pretty sure they should be saying Arithmetic in any case.

"Math" and "maths" are both abbreviations of "mathematics." That said "mathematics" is not a plural noun ... and so it's more technically correct to abbreviate it without including the "s" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Rubbish thread
    Garbage

Total trash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Americans use "grilling" to mean everything from frying in a pan, to roasting over a dry heat.

Except for using an actual grill, which they call "broiling".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Invidious wrote: »
    "Math" and "maths" are both abbreviations of "mathematics." That said "mathematics" is not a plural noun ... and so it's more technically correct to abbreviate it without including the "s" at the end.
    'Maths' isn't a plural noun either, so what's your point? Go back to America, yank!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,965 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Liqourstore - off license
    Rotary - roundabout
    Fanny pack - bum bag
    Chips - Crisps
    French fries - Chips

AWESOME

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Stateofyou wrote: »
    They call them turn signals, actually.

One of the amusing things about this whole topic is the amount of hate or annoyance on certain words or phrases that aren't even said by them. :pac:

Another amusing thing is that some of you don't seem to allow for any respect whatsoever for their own culture. Biscuits and gravy is a very popular breakfast dish there, and chicken and dumplings (the dumplings are more like biscuits) is a popular dinner meal. They're both traditional meals. Biscuits there are almost always savoury or plain. Cookies aren't even close to what a biscuit is anyway, which to us are scones.

Barbecue is a reference to cooking food specifically on such a piece of equipment called a barbeque. I found that most American homes had a bbq. It's a cooking method or specific style of food there which is popular because they actually have decent summers and spend a majority of it outside and/or camping. They bring their bbq's when camping and in fact many sites around the country actually have them built into their grounds in each space. It's just their culture, get over it. I suppose you really hate it when Australians refer to it as a barbie. lol.
    Some of you really haven't a clue and it shows.

They were called "directionals" by my driving tester in New York.

Maybe she just made the term up.

And get over yourself with the barbecue bullsh1t. We all know what a barbecue is for fcuk's sake. We just don't call what's cooked on it "barbecue".

a burger and a hotdog is a burger and a hotdog.

Ooohh and "Americans a great becasue they actually have decent summers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Stateofyou wrote: »
    "Would you like to stay for tea?"

(Do you mean FOOD?)

Yea, we do it too. :rolleyes:

No...tea is a term used to describe an everning meal like breakfast or lunch or dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,965 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes, I always wondered about that. I was told that when I lived in Dublin. Good old Catholic whiskey. Lol.

I once lived on Berkeley street in Phizbra, and the Jameson water pond was in the back of my house. Nice place to read a buke.

Phizbra? Did you mean Phibsboro?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Garbage

Trash.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Americans use "grilling" to mean everything from frying in a pan, to roasting over a dry heat.

Except for using an actual grill, which they call "broiling".

After hearing it for years, I only actually discovered what broiling is a few years ago. For the most part Americans use grilling to refer to what most people here would describe as barbecuing, i.e. cooking food on a metal grill over coals. Barbecuing in the States is more specifically smoking meats at lower temperatures for a longer period of time. Personally I don't give a crap what they call it, it's all delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Omackeral wrote: »
    Regardless is already a negative meaning without regard. So irregardless makes no sense at all. Without without regard?

Deep down in your aortic pump, you know the is a Joey from Friends reference

Zaph wrote: »
    After hearing it for years, I only actually discovered what broiling is a few years ago. For the most part Americans use grilling to refer to what most people here would describe as barbecuing, i.e. cooking food on a metal grill over coals. Barbecuing in the States is more specifically smoking meats at lower temperatures for a longer period of time. Personally I don't give a crap what they call it, it's all delicious.

Yeah, but they also use the same verb for frying a sandwich in a pan ("grilled cheese"), or cooking something on a hotplate; it's confusing.

The use of "ize" rather than "ise". Just annoys me to see organised written as organized
    Oxford Dictionary:
    Usage
    The form -ize has been in use in English since the 16th century; although it is widely used in American English, it is not an Americanism. The alternative spelling -ise (reflecting a French influence) is in common use, especially in British English. It is obligatory in certain cases: first, where it forms part of a larger word element, such as -mise (= sending) in compromise, and -prise (= taking) in surprise; and second, in verbs corresponding to nouns with -s- in the stem, such as televise (from television). Adding -ize to a noun or adjective has been a standard way of forming new verbs for centuries, and verbs such as characterize, terrorize, and sterilize were all formed in this way hundreds of years ago. Some traditionalists object to recent formations of this type: during the 20th century, objections were raised against prioritize, finalize, and hospitalize, among others. There doesn't seem to be any coherent reason for this, except that verbs formed from nouns tend, inexplicably, to be criticized as vulgar formationsUsage
    The form -ize has been in use in English since the 16th century; although it is widely used in American English, it is not an Americanism. The alternative spelling -ise (reflecting a French influence) is in common use, especially in British English. It is obligatory in certain cases: first, where it forms part of a larger word element, such as -mise (= sending) in compromise, and -prise (= taking) in surprise; and second, in verbs corresponding to nouns with -s- in the stem, such as televise (from television). Adding -ize to a noun or adjective has been a standard way of forming new verbs for centuries, and verbs such as characterize, terrorize, and sterilize were all formed in this way hundreds of years ago. Some traditionalists object to recent formations of this type: during the 20th century, objections were raised against prioritize, finalize, and hospitalize, among others. There doesn't seem to be any coherent reason for this, except that verbs formed from nouns tend, inexplicably, to be criticized as vulgar formations

Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries use -ize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Liqourstore - off license
    Rotary - roundabout
    Fanny pack - bum bag
    Chips - Crisps
    French fries - Chips

AWESOME

Bacon- Rasher

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hersheys = chocolate.

Vaguely chocolate flavoured bar of lard suitable only for survival rations.

• Advertisement

stoneill wrote: »
    Using lawyer when you mean solicitor, autopsy when you mean post mortem.

A solicitor is a type of lawyer. "Autopsy" is an older term.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hersheys = chocolate.

Vaguely chocolate flavoured bar of lard suitable only for survival rations.

Starvation is preferable to Hershey's.

They sour the milk slightly when making Hershey's, apparently it prolongs the shelf life. It also gives it that weird vomit-like flavour that most American chocolate makers copied because Hershey's was so dominant that it's the taste Americans associate with chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Yeah, but they also use the same verb for frying a sandwich in a pan ("grilled cheese"), or cooking something on a hotplate; it's confusing.

This thread has finally cleared that up for me. A fried cheese sandwich sounds interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Bacon- Rasher

Bacon and Rashers are not the same thing.

Bacon comes from the belly and is dry curred usually via smoke.

Rashers are wet cured from back bacon and if you put both side by side they are totally different.

You can get proper bacon here and most supermarkets sell dry-cured Spanish bacon that is really good.

McGaggs wrote: »
    This thread has finally cleared that up for me. A fried cheese sandwich sounds interesting

I will concede that it's very good. A different beast altogether to cheese-on-toast (which i had always assumed Americans were talking about when they referred to "grilled cheese")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Phizbra? Did you mean Phibsboro?

Zactly.

Oxford Dictionary:

Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries use -ize.

Yes, but are they trustworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭Tow

The same problem existed 40 years ago.

The Yanks Guide to Irish Jargon was published in 1979 by Dana O'Sullivan

533909.jpg

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Bacon and Rashers are not the same thing.

Bacon comes from the belly and is dry curred usually via smoke.

Rashers are wet cured from back bacon and if you put both side by side they are totally different.

You can get proper bacon here and most supermarkets sell dry-cured Spanish bacon that is really good.

Americans call bacon "Canadian bacon".
    Canadians just call it bacon.

• Advertisement

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes, but are they trustworthy?

https://www.upf.edu/en/web/gabinet-linguistic/quin-model-d-ortografia-en-angles-oxford-spelling-
    Oxford spelling', or the most international English

The English language, which is spoken either as a first or a second language in many countries throughout the world, basically has three main orthographic standards: the British, the American and 'Oxford spelling', which is similar to the British standard but with a few nuances and can be considered the most international English (world English, according to the Oxford English Dictionary) and also, to a certain extent, the most neutral in that it does not coincide fully with the official standard used by any English-speaking government.

'Oxford spelling' is used by the principal and most prestigious English dictionaries such as the Oxford English Dictionary, the Collins English Dictionary and the Cambridge dictionaries, as well as by prestigious publishers and publications and a host of international organizations, such as Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Penguin, the Encyclopaedia Britannica, Nature, the United Nations and all of the bodies that report to it (such as the World Health Organization, the International Labour Organization, UNICEF and UNESCO), the World Trade Organization, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Interpol, the International Committee of the Red Cross, World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Amnesty International, the World Economic Forum and NATO, among others.

Advertisement