Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Lot of anger here….

Some of it justifiable.

I’m sure they want him out of office, sacked. Nothing else, not even having the opportunity to resign.

Why would anyone “delight” in the time it is taking when they are fully sure he’s a crooked and corrupt individual? You seem to be so certain of matters that this is just time wasting? I mentioned this before, that is height of ignorance, arrogance and so very insulting to the gardai and nbci, they are investigating something because there is a very real and credible possibility of wrongdoing. You need to try and understand this first, then accept it.

Have you heard of sarcasm?
    My I'm sure they're delighted means they're not...

As for Arrogance
    Look in the mirror at your own first with the lack of innocent untill proven guilty vibes
    I'm confident theres no crime here
    You post on a public internet forum,you are going to be confronted with opposing opinion,so perhaps you should get used to that before lecturing me on what my opinion should be
    I've said often enough why I'm confident of my opinion.
    Other opinions can vary
    No problem with that :)

My opinion is that the village and boards.ie posters can be sued when there are no charges here,as both are Irish companies registered here
    Therein should be the fear
    You're not on twitter now lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My opinion is that the village and boards.ie posters can be sued when there are no charges here,as both are Irish companies registered here
    Therein should be the fear
    You're not on twitter now lads :)

Why would boards users be sued?

Sure we're just discussing stuff that's in the public domain, and what Leo himself admitted and apologised for.

Thread jumped shark. :D

McMurphy wrote: »
    Why would boards users be sued?

Sure we're just discussing stuff that's in the public domain, and what Leo himself admitted and apologised for.

Thread jumped shark. :D

You can be sued if you call directly someone corrupt or criminal without any evidence and certainly should expect it in a case of no charges
    I haven't seen you do that,to be fair to you
    A criminal or a corupt person is only such when found guilty
    In vradakar's case even at this stage,no crime has been alledged,that we are aware of
    I've no issue with someone being brave
    Boards.ie is an Irish registered site and as far as I'm aware in your sign up terms and conditions you are subject to Irish law regarding what you as a poster publish
    Ergo if theres no crime,then a poster accusing someone of one is exposed
    Where that has happened here this evening,I've reported it

• Advertisement

At least we can say we never derided Maurice McCabe.

Well,I can say that also
    And guess who supported him too?
    Leo

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/whistleblowers-welcome-tribute-from-varadkar-1.1732769

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

2014, lovely, is that around the time or long before he spoke in the dáil against gay marriage and the importance of a child having a mother and father? He’s so full of integrity, I’d imagine tribute to McCabe was completely genuine.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Straight bans will follow for anyone continuing to allege criminal activity in the absence of a conviction or confession

There have been plenty of warnings

Wonder if Leo reckons Bowes is "distinguished", or does he reserve such niceties and compliments only for whistleblowers he can bandwagon on?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Wonder if Leo reckons Bowes is "distinguished", or does he reserve such niceties and compliments only for whistleblowers he can bandwagon on?

I don't think Leo classifies them as the same at all,you are right in that respect
    I'd share that view
    I'm not commenting anymore unless theres something new,I'll find other things to be at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think Leo classifies them as the same at all,you are right in that respect
    I'd share that view
    I'm not commenting anymore unless theres something new,I'll find other things to be at

I don't think anyone classifies all whistleblowers as the same. Some whistleblowing complaints are vexatious, others are frivilous, separating them from the serious ones is the issue.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone classifies all whistleblowers as the same. Some whistleblowing complaints are vexatious, others are frivilous, separating them from the serious ones is the issue.

Well duhhhh.

Sure didn't Martin Callinan think they were "disgusting" - and as per Muhahahas posts above, didn't you yourself try and cast aspersions on McCabe's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

2014, lovely, is that around the time or long before he spoke in the dáil against gay marriage and the importance of a child having a mother and father? He’s so full of integrity, I’d imagine tribute to McCabe was completely genuine.

Whoah, are you serious?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

To be fair he did change his stance when it was clear the issue for was becoming very popular.
    Here he is at a pride event arm in arm with an unidentified stranger.

sn%20Maitiu%20and%20Leo%20Read-Only.png

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Whoah, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shebean wrote: »
    To be fair he did change his stance when it was clear the issue for was becoming very popular.
    Here he is at a pride event arm in arm with an unidentified stranger.

One of the reasons a party leader will provoke much dislike is when it becomes clear they are 'career politicians' rather than 'conviction politicians'.

Lots of leaders fake it successfully and Leo fooled some that he is a conviction politician, but the fact is, he is an out and out career politician. If it's fashionable, politically expedient or gets him to where he wants to go, then Leo will be all for it, turning volte-face on issues at the drop of a hat, if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Leo speaks with forked tongue surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Leo speaks with forked tongue surprise.

Do people not have a right to change their opinion? I used to be against abortion. However through learning and understanding the issue more and hearing harrowing stories from women I'm now in support of it.
    Do I have a forked tongue?

If you think I do then Sinn Fein also have a forked tongue as they used to be against it as well. The world modernises and opinions and views change. That's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Varadkar leak inquiry widens as more people may have had access to document after leak
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-leak-inquiry-widens-as-more-people-may-have-had-access-todocument-after-leak-40430765.html
    Gardaí investigating the Tánaiste’s leaking of a confidential Government document to a friend have extended their inquiry after establishing that more people may have had access to the document after it was leaked.
    are they going to investigate Matt giving it to other people? rather then investigating Varadkar.

Varadkar leak inquiry widens as more people may have had access to document after leak
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-leak-inquiry-widens-as-more-people-may-have-had-access-todocument-after-leak-40430765.html are they going to investigate Matt giving it to other people? rather then investigating Varadkar.

I would guess the further is was spread would be more problematic for the person leaked it. Seems to be an expanding investigation.

or some effort to look into a case of wasting Garda time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-leak-inquiry-widens-as-more-people-may-have-had-access-todocument-after-leak-40430765.html are they going to investigate Matt giving it to other people? rather then investigating Varadkar.
    The Corruption legislation rather than the OSA being the main part of the investigation now?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's starting to act even more bizarrely now, for the good of the nation it really is time for him to step aside while this ongoing investigation takes its course.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/crackdown-on-cuckoo-funds-buying-up-housing-estates-leads-to-split-in-coalition-40443325.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

He's starting to act even more bizarrely now, for the good of the nation it really is time for him to step aside while this ongoing investigation takes its course.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/crackdown-on-cuckoo-funds-buying-up-housing-estates-leads-to-split-in-coalition-40443325.html

I wouldn't call his behaviour bizarre or want him to step aside just for asking what he asked.
    Fair enough the housing needs work done but would you kick health behind it for awhile in the middle of covid?
    Indeed the government have been slack enough on their handling of this cyber attack, could be another attack around the corner that would be even more devastating and they have alot to do there.
    If every TD that questioned another party was called bizarre and made step down there wouldn't be a Sinn Féin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wouldn't call his behaviour bizarre or want him to step aside just for asking what he asked.
    Fair enough the housing needs work done but would you kick health behind it for awhile in the middle of covid?
    Indeed the government have been slack enough on their handling of this cyber attack, could be another attack around the corner that would be even more devastating and they have alot to do there.
    If every TD that questioned another party was called bizarre and made step down there wouldn't be a Sinn Féin!
    Regardless of what he is asking etc.. He has brought an unwanted distraction to the Government, they are trying get work done, he has other things going on with the investigation, also him being in that position means the investigators can't do their job as thoroughly as they should. For those reasons and more, he should step aside until the investigation has concluded. TBH, it would probably suit Leo at this stage to step aside, he can claim he no hand in whatever follows. Unless of course people start to like and respect Cuckoo funds, then he can say he started them coming here.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Suckit wrote: »
    Regardless of what he is asking etc.. He has brought an unwanted distraction to the Government, they are trying get work done, he has other things going on with the investigation, also him being in that position means the investigators can't do their job as thoroughly as they should. For those reasons and more, he should step aside until the investigation has concluded. TBH, it would probably suit Leo at this stage to step aside, he can claim he no hand in whatever follows. Unless of course people start to like and respect Cuckoo funds, then he can say he started them coming here.. :rolleyes:

Why can't the investigators do a thorough job while he is doing his?
    As for it being an unwanted distraction I'm not sure how distracted the govt are by it TBH. I haven't seen anyone coming out saying they're unable to do their jobs because this investigation

As for it being an unwanted distraction I'm not sure how distracted the govt are by it TBH. I haven't seen anyone coming out saying they're unable to do their jobs because this investigation

The posts are variations of the same venting by supporters of parties who don't share the same voter catchment as FG
    Centrist or right voters meander around parties or independents that run a steady no shock ship for them
    FF used have a cohort of the left voting for it,thats dwindling,sucked into parties better focused on their needs more so as opposed to wider scopes
    We're here on the internet,we must expect that other peoples views will vary

The posts are variations of the same venting by supporters of parties who don't share the same voter catchment as FG
    Centrist or right voters meander around parties or independents that run a steady no shock ship for them
    FF used have a cohort of the left voting for it,thats dwindling,sucked into parties better focused on their needs more so as opposed to wider scopes

While generalisation based on assumed party lines might be a convenient way of explaining away criticism it ignores a number of issues such as the fact that there was a huge shift in voting trends last election which goes in the face of party dictated bias for bias sake and of course the elephant in the room, the leaking of a confidential government document by a minister to a crony, how ever people might try justify it.
    I'd imagine some people from all parties and none would have a legitimate issue with that. To believe it's strictly related to party lines or biases is as I say convenient but not logical.
    There's a trend with FG online and in office to hand wave away any and all criticism citing bias regardless of the issue, I think you are falling for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The investigators would have to ask other officials that were in office at the time questions about what was going on etc. did they see xyz. With Leo sitting as Tanaiste he could easily taint any investigation. People might not come forward so quickly with information, others may not want to answer questions for fear of repercussions among other things. We have seen what happened to Kate O'Connell when she supported the other guy. We know Leo can throw a tantrum. Not even it being him, it should be common sense that he can cause obstruction being there..
    People being questioned and an ongoing investigation is a distraction, Its not up to you or I to decide how much of a distraction, but a month or so ago, it was a big one. Now, it doesn't seem like much of one, but the investigation is ongoing.
    You yourself said that the investigators should be able to perform a thorough investigation.
    No venting here. I have simply stated before, and since, that he should step aside so that their investigation can be as thorough as possible.
    It does get to sound a little repetitive, but when the questions are similar it's hard not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Suckit wrote: »
    The investigators would have to ask other officials that were in office at the time questions about what was going on etc. did they see xyz. With Leo sitting as Tanaiste he could easily taint any investigation. People might not come forward so quickly with information, others may not want to answer questions for fear of repercussions among other things. We have seen what happened to Kate O'Connell when she supported the other guy. We know Leo can throw a tantrum. Not even it being him, it should be common sense that he can cause obstruction being there..
    People being questioned and an ongoing investigation is a distraction, Its not up to you or I to decide how much of a distraction, but a month or so ago, it was a big one. Now, it doesn't seem like much of one, but the investigation is ongoing.

You yourself said that the investigators should be able to perform a thorough investigation.
    No venting here. I have simply stated before, and since, that he should step aside so that their investigation can be as thorough as possible.
    It does get to sound a little repetitive, but when the questions are similar it's hard not to.

He could easily taint any investigation? What sort of nonsense is that? It is not like he is the Minister for Justice or sits on a policing board and can influence what the police do.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    He could easily taint any investigation? What sort of nonsense is that? It is not like he is the Minister for Justice or sits on a policing board and can influence what the police do.

He wasn't health minister, involved in or a party to the negotiations between the IMO and the health department when he obtained a confidential negotiation document and passed it to his friend.
    It's highly naïve to think a man under criminal investigation being actively involved with colleagues on a daily basis and a party leader in government won't stifle or hinder people coming forward fearing retribution. And that's not even accusing him of trying to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement