Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 year lifespan stakes.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

eire23 wrote: »
    No, would have close on 6kms of fencing done with octoposts and never had that happen.

Is that driving them in with a tractor or with a sledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is this the Agr*kn*ves Fella?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

Is that driving them in with a tractor or with a sledge?

Drove with a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

we have cresote posts here since 1990 . pulled a good few of them this year and re used them , at the time I think monard was still in production

also some pdm since 1997 which are still good drawn up and driven again a couple of months back

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Boyle agri in donegal. Their on donedeal. Spot on to deal with. The stakes are very good, creosote be's bubbling out as your hammering in the stapel.
    But as wrangler said above you need to put the stapel in horizontal because like octos they are prone to cracking because the timber is so hard in them.

They must keep their lamp under a bushel because I live in Co. Donegal and I have never heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Cattlepen wrote: »
    I have used a lot of them. They are probably the best post I’ve used as the creosote goes through to the centre and it is real creosote. You would get a bad scalding from them. I don’t know about the 40 year thing.
    BUT, yer man is some pain in the h@l*.
    Self proclaimed genius.

if he could turn around fast enough hed ride hismelf lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

By the way, oak posts will last 40 years and that's with no preservative .

Home made oak post here that is 70+, that said it's on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

They must keep their lamp under a bushel because I live in Co. Donegal and I have never heard of them.

You musnt be looking to hard. From ardara, advertises on Facebook and donedeal.
    I'm in no way connected to them. They just sell a good product and had them delivered to me in the time they said they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No, would have close on 6kms of fencing done with octoposts and never had that happen.

Have used octoposts and same. Though I had a couple that came with cracks. Got them replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Used the Burt Bolton Haywood posts this last few years, bought from McCorry Agri. in Fermanagh.
    Their (BBH's) label states "expected service life of 40 years" and further on down it states "creosote treated to BS xxx, giving expected life of 30 years".
    One sure thing, don't let the flail hedgecutter clip the top of these posts, as they'll split down 9 inches.
    In fairness, if this happens, the creosote is soaked in to the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

wrangler wrote: »
    This is his silage outfit,

https://youtu.be/RI3v3rQ3FxQ?t=45

He also sells peat, he did a great job on making a riding arena lately and last I saw he was building a stone wall at a chapel, so he's a tryer, pity about the rest
    Naturally enough the wagon behind the white Valmet is the biggest in the country :D

He must have himself nominated for sainthood after doing the chapel wall.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement