Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 year lifespan stakes.

Options
  • 31-10-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever dealt with a man in tyrellspass who sells stakes? not sure of his name but he advertises on donedeal regularly.
    The reason I am asking is because I was going to order stakes off him, but recently seen a post on facebook claiming he never sent stakes to a lad who ordered them last year. I was talking to the man last year at the ploughing and he had great stakes there, and seemed reasonably priced. Is he genuine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Anyone ever dealt with a man in tyrellspass who sells stakes? not sure of his name but he advertises on donedeal regularly.
    The reason I am asking is because I was going to order stakes off him, but recently seen a post on facebook claiming he never sent stakes to a lad who ordered them last year. I was talking to the man last year at the ploughing and he had great stakes there, and seemed reasonably priced. Is he genuine?

That post was deleted very quickly.
    Probably for good reason too.after that it's anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I wonder what was the result afterwards? Interesting read on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

That thread on Facebook made good reading alright.they are definitley good stakes, got some this year amd was impressed with them. I used another supplier in donegal. As far as I know they are the only two people selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

eire23 wrote: »
    That thread on Facebook made good reading alright.they are definitley good stakes, got some this year amd was impressed with them. I used another supplier in donegal. As far as I know they are the only two people selling them.

Whats the name of the place in donegal that sells them? He told me that he was the only person selling them, but I was taking everything he said to me with a pinch of salt..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'd want to be careful buying stakes with a 40 year guarantee, especially if yer man was pushing on in age. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was taking everything he said to me with a pinch of salt..

You must be a good judge of character :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

There scanpole stakes.
    Good stakes alright should hit 25 years at least
    I don't think there's a huge difference between them and octo stakes though.both of swedish origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t guy in to the 40 years part. Will you still have the receipt to hand in say 30 years if need be, or will the company still be n business. I assumed also that after say 30 years if the steaks rot or break get a new steak in it place but I was told you don’t. If the steak goes after 30 years and it’s guaranteed for 40, you only get the difference which Is 10/40 of the value of the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don’t guy in to the 40 years part. Will you still have the receipt to hand in say 30 years if need be, or will the company still be n business. I assumed also that after say 30 years if the steaks rot or break get a new steak in it place but I was told you don’t. If the steak goes after 30 years and it’s guaranteed for 40, you only get the difference which Is 10/40 of the value of the steak.

Will many be too bothered in 30 years if the stake rots. Unless you're in your under 50 in 30 years time you'd be in your 80s and hopefully someone younger will be fixing the fence.

Anyway 30 years wouldn't be so bad compared to less than 10 for a lot of posts.

hopeso wrote: »
    You must be a good judge of character :D

It was just the way he had nothing good to say about anyone or anything else’s products, and nothing he ever did was wrong.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be that bothered either way, will be happy enough if they only lasted 30 years. Just titled the thread 40yr lifespan because that’s what he advertises his stakes on donedeal as and was thinking people that have dealt with him might click onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It was just the way he had nothing good to say about anyone or anything else’s products, and nothing he ever did was wrong.

He's locally referred to as 'the cock'
    Someone told me lately that you wouldn't believe the radio in his jeep.
    But on saying that the stakes are good, they're very hard and they are prone to split from the staples so its better to have the staples horizontal so you don't put the two legs in the one grain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oh him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh him.....

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have asked him a few questions on Facebook before. He never gives a straight answer on the whole 40yr thing. I reckon he's full of bs

Part of a lot of those deals is you'll only get the 10/40th off more merchandise bought from the same company. Forget about cash into your hand or bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh him.....

You must've known he sold stakes.... surely
    The guy that told me about his radio in the jeep was told in the tractor protest to drive on through the red lights, as it was arranged with the guards,
    Well my friend has a fine to prove it wasn't arranged with the guards to drive through the lights

wrangler wrote: »
    You must've known he sold stakes.... surely
    The guy that told me about his radio in the jeep was told in the tractor protest to drive on through the red lights, as it was arranged with the guards,
    Well my friend has a fine to prove it wasn't arranged with the guards to drive through the lights
    Oh I did

Now you know what he is like. Terrible thing to say but more fool your mate to listen to him

Jb1989 wrote: »
    What?

Alot of locals dont deal with him or only dealt with him once

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Have asked him a few questions on Facebook before. He never gives a straight answer on the whole 40yr thing. I reckon he's full of bs

I know he wasnt giving receipts for a while there anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I like that one wrangler about the radio in his jeep.think I'll use that one again me self. There's some horse manure claimed by lads nowadays. Likely good stakes,but claims of 40 years guarantees are disingenuous. Guarantee being the bit i don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I have used a lot of them. They are probably the best post I’ve used as the creosote goes through to the centre and it is real creosote. You would get a bad scalding from them. I don’t know about the 40 year thing.
    BUT, yer man is some pain in the h@l*.
    Self proclaimed genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I get the creosote ones from FRS. You need to wear gloves handling them.

richie123 wrote: »
    There scanpole stakes.
    Good stakes alright should hit 25 years at least
    I don't think there's a huge difference between them and octo stakes though.both of swedish origin.

Id agree there, done a good bit of fencing the last few years with octoposts. The oldest octo's are 13 years old and perfect. only started using scanpole this year because of trouble getting octoposts. Loughwood who are the main importer kept promising that they were coming but I was running out of time due to a tams deadline so went with scanpole
    Do see a lot of posts being sold which are cresoted, most aren't worth a damn because the timber in them is sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Id agree there, done a good bit of fencing the last few years with octoposts. The oldest octo's are 13 years old and perfect. only started using scanpole this year because of trouble getting octoposts. Loughwood who are the main importer kept promising that they were coming but I was running out of time due to a tams deadline so went with scanpole
    Do see a lot of posts being sold which are cresoted, most aren't worth a damn because the timber in them is sh1te

Who in donegal? Are they good?

satstheway wrote: »
    Who in donegal? Are they good?

Boyle agri in donegal. Their on donedeal. Spot on to deal with. The stakes are very good, creosote be's bubbling out as your hammering in the stapel.
    But as wrangler said above you need to put the stapel in horizontal because like octos they are prone to cracking because the timber is so hard in them.

Did you ever see an octopost to split while driving it?

Did you ever see an octopost to split while driving it?

No, would have close on 6kms of fencing done with octoposts and never had that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

wrangler wrote: »
    He's locally referred to as 'the cock'
    Someone told me lately that you wouldn't believe the radio in his jeep

Is this the Agr*kn*ves Fella?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

By the way, oak posts will last 40 years and that's with no preservative .

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement