Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating a Conservatory

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes. Very well as I discovered whilst fitting an outside socket. Roof was also insulated

It's the roof insulation I was asking about. I'm no expert but I think the roof makes all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Could you take the double glazing out and replace with triple?

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Could you take the double glazing out and replace with triple?

Of course you could but glass is still glass.

First Up wrote: »
    Of course you could but glass is still glass.

Some of the windows have lost the gas so I was thinking of swapping out the large windows with triple instead of double glazed units.....

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Some of the windows have lost the gas so I was thinking of swapping out the large windows with triple instead of double glazed units.....

I'd advise you to talk to an expert about it (preferably someone who isn't trying to sell you something.)

All I can tell you is that a solid roof solved the problem for us. We still have to heat it but now the heat stays in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a solid roof on mine and basically just close the door on it from now until spring unless the sun shines which heats it up. It originally had two radiators but I actually removed one as it was in the way of the door and this resulted in disconnection of the other one. They were useless anyway, never heated the place any bit.

I was often tempted by one of those little gas stoves with the tank in it, not a super ser as such, much prettier looking thing than the bog standard super ser! I put the Christmas tree in there and at Christmas when the house is full of people and plenty warm I can open the doors as there is sufficient heat to go out there and bring up the temp for a while. It's the amount of glass really, I know that and there is no real way of solving the problem, it's fab for the rest of the year though :)

phormium wrote:
    It's the amount of glass really, I know that and there is no real way of solving the problem

You have been told how to solve the problem.

I'd advise you to talk to an expert about it (preferably someone who isn't trying to sell you something.)

All I can tell you is that a solid roof solved the problem for us. We still have to heat it but now the heat stays in.

I have talked to expert. The feeling was

1. Remove the current roof and replace with a solid roof which from 7k to 20k. best system is Guardian roof system more expensive but the best
    2. Replace windows which have lost gas

In ideal World you would do both and review the heating system then. Budget constaints have hit. So even if I invested in a infrared heater it would be reused anyway so it is not dead money.

Changing the broken windows could help, at the moment it has 14 large panes of glass, 6 open and 8 don't. They have a plastic arch in them and because of the qty without gas companies have said would be cheaper to replace all without the arch inside than replacing the units and getting the arch put in to make them look similar.

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    1. Remove the current roof and replace with a solid roof which from 7k to 20k. best system is Guardian roof system more expensive but the best 2. Replace windows which have lost gas

You can shop around on that but based on our experience, a solid roof makes a big difference. I would do that first and see what happens.
    WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Changing the broken windows could help, at the moment it has 14 large panes of glass, 6 open and 8 don't. They have a plastic arch in them and because of the qty without gas companies have said would be cheaper to replace all without the arch inside than replacing the units and getting the arch put in to make them look similar.

I can't comment on the technicalities of how to improve glass or gas. I think glass always leaks heat - but a solid roof doesn't.

You have been told how to solve the problem.

Merely giving my perspective on trying to heat a sunroom with large windows! I'm not going to put curtains on them so not sure what solution you mean.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote:
    Merely giving my perspective on trying to heat a sunroom with large windows! I'm not going to put curtains on them so not sure what solution you mean.

A solid roof makes a big difference.

A solid roof makes a big difference.

As I said in my post I have a solid roof already, it's the amount of window glass.

phormium wrote: »
    I have a solid roof on mine and basically just close the door on it from now until spring unless the sun shines which heats it up. It originally had two radiators but I actually removed one as it was in the way of the door and this resulted in disconnection of the other one. They were useless anyway, never heated the place any bit.

I was often tempted by one of those little gas stoves with the tank in it, not a super ser as such, much prettier looking thing than the bog standard super ser! I put the Christmas tree in there and at Christmas when the house is full of people and plenty warm I can open the doors as there is sufficient heat to go out there and bring up the temp for a while. It's the amount of glass really, I know that and there is no real way of solving the problem, it's fab for the rest of the year though :)

Yes no matter what you do it will always lose heat. That is why I cut mine off with the triple glazing sliding door. Our's is so big is just seems like such a waste. Especially as it has TV etc in it, the kids use it as a large playroom as well so I would prefer to try use as best as possible. I might just buy the infrared, it might be the cheapest option to heat it up along with radiators

Of course long term plan would be take roof off and put on new one. Post covid I think

phormium wrote:
    As I said in my post I have a solid roof already, it's the amount of window glass.

OK - I hadn't noticed that. Not a lot more you can do so.

My brother is builder, he said the only way you will get to keep heat in properly is take the whole thing down, build up the walls, put a full tiled roof on with insulation and then windows, but walls between the windows if you know what I mean.

TO me that loses the whole point of the conservatory as our in out of house in middle of garden which I love. So no matter what you do heat retention will be compromised with a conservatory/sun room

Advertisement