Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating a Conservatory

Options
  • 31-10-2020 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

I have a large conservatory which is a beautiful room but difficult to use at this time of year. I was planning on changing to a sun room but Covid hit that budget. At the moment we have two radiators in it and they do heat it up but it takes ages and you waste a lot of oil because it is also heating other rooms in house.

I am wondering if any options to heat? I don't want a superser in house because of the compressed gas but anything else worth looking at? Just some ideas.....thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    I have a large conservatory which is a beautiful room but difficult to use at this time of year. I was planning on changing to a sun room but Covid hit that budget. At the moment we have two radiators in it and they do heat it up but it takes ages and you waste a lot of oil because it is also heating other rooms in house.

I am wondering if any options to heat? I don't want a superser in house because of the compressed gas but anything else worth looking at? Just some ideas.....thanks

Have had the same problem for years,tried everything,only in the past 6 weeks fitted a small stove. It has absolutely transformed the downstairs of the house. Kicking ourselves we didn't do it 13 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Wood burning stove, or parafin heater if theres ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Have had the same problem for years,tried everything,only in the past 6 weeks fitted a small stove. It has absolutely transformed the downstairs of the house. Kicking ourselves we didn't do it 13 years ago

We have cut off the room with a large Triple glazed door, before it literally sucked the heat out of the house.

Did you install a standard wood burner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pkiernan wrote: »

Question - love wood burning stoves - but would this not cause the room to condensate terribly ( or perhaps you have blinds?) I have floor to cealing windows in the kitchen but when I cook with multiple rings they steam up badly unless I have to door open. Not a big issue as it then just dries off/in .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Fella I know put a air con in one, they heat and cool. Says it works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We have cut off the room with a large Triple glazed door, before it literally sucked the heat out of the house.

Did you install a standard wood burner?

Yes,a small one. Unbelievable heat,heats the sunroom,kitchen and dining room. Have all the rads off... seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pkiernan wrote: »

Agreed. I use an Inverter 5006 daily (according to the weather) for 10 years now and it's never let me down. Fantastic piece of kit. Raw, hot heat when needed. 3.2kw. or a very light trickle of heat when not i.e. set it on eco and it switches off as required. About €300 delivered and you'll get 20l drums from McLoughlin Oil or Sheds Direct for about €38.
    Despite what you'll read online, you can happily burn kerosene in a paraffin heater if you have good ventilation. I add Dipetane to mine to optimise combustion and a 20l drum is currently costing €12. Paraffin has not tracked down with home heating prices.
    Would I burn kerosene where there are children? I'm not so sure (I probably would as there are no more downsides that any other environmental risk we all face daily), but I do so with precious pets and an older relation. There is a smell at startup but, after that, just great heat.
    I used that Inverter 5006 (5096 is the latest iteration) in a rented bungalow in the winter of 2010; in the hallway. Out of over 100 houses, mine was the only one with running water throughout that episode. Fantastic piece of kit, carbon monoxide detector, knock sensor, family friendly and easily serviceable by yourself once you do the simple basics. They're extraordinarily well engineered. In 10 years I've had zero issues apart from dirty fuel and hence dirty filter.

Research Corona and Zibro heaters.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NBUVMHG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LFtNFbEHQYZCZ

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Why not create a separate zone for it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

cosyroof.com. Replace the glass with a solid roof. Made a huge difference to ours.

On the infra red heater, do you need to position in room so it has a direct view of everything? or can it go in a cornor type thing? Thank

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

On the infra red heater, do you need to position in room so it has a direct view of everything? or can it go in a cornor type thing? Thank

It needs a view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes,a small one. Unbelievable heat,heats the sunroom,kitchen and dining room. Have all the rads off... seriously

Very tastefully done.

Lovely job. Four small kids is the issue. We have a monster one in house and wife has me driven nuts about it. What about the wooden pellet jobs?

Lovely job. Four small kids is the issue. We have a monster one in house and wife has me driven nuts about it. What about the wooden pellet jobs?

Very spendy,and in my opinion industrial looking

First Up wrote: »
    cosyroof.com. Replace the glass with a solid roof. Made a huge difference to ours.

Had them out. Orignally they said the whole roof would come off. Then it was the current roof supports would be re-used.

What did they do for you? would love some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Had them out. Orignally they said the whole roof would come off. Then it was the current roof supports would be re-used.

Relation of mine put cealing blinds in - huge octagonal shaped south facing sunroom. Said it made a big difference to being able to retain the heat & use it in winter.

WhoamI2022 wrote:

Took off the glass and put the solid roof on. Everything else (electrics, windows) put back and plastering/painting done. Took a day and a bit.

Took off the glass and put the solid roof on. Everything else (electrics, windows) put back and plastering/painting done. Took a day and a bit.

Did take the entire roof off? including the existing rafters which are holding up the glass? or reuse the existing rafters?

How long have you had done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Fix the real problem of heat escaping by putting on a roof.

By the sounds of it, you have enough heating in it, it's just that it can't keep the heat in.

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Did take the entire roof off? including the existing rafters which are holding up the glass? or reuse the existing rafters?

They used the existing frame of the conservatory. Just took off the bits around the glass roof. We went through it in detail beforehand with their rep (Elise?) so everything was clear and the crew knew what to do. First class.
    WhoamI2022 wrote:
    How long have you had done?

Summer last year. Very happy with it. We already had a c/h radiator in the conservatory but the new roof has made a huge difference.

They used the existing frame of the conservatory. Just took off the bits around the glass roof. We went through it in detail beforehand with their rep (Elise?) so everything was clear and the crew knew what to do. First class.

Summer last year. Very happy with it. We already had a c/h radiator in the conservatory but the new roof has made a huge difference.

Yes Elise :-) she has worked in every single one of those companies. Last time she emailed me was in Ultratherm. I have a feeling they are all the one company and just change name every few months :p

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Yes Elise :-) she has worked in every single one of those companies. Last time she emailed me was in Ultratherm. I have a feeling they are all the one company and just change name every few months

Could be. My experience was good anyway.

Could be. My experience was good anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback, have you had any cracks in the ceiling?

WhoamI2022 wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback, have you had any cracks in the ceiling?

No, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What you need to remember with sunrooms, conservatories and any other room with a lot of glazing is that the glazing is your enemy during the winter regardless of the amount of heating present such as rads, stoves etc. The reason is not only are the windows generally the weakest element for conductive heat loss but the actual glazing has a real & definite -ve impact on our skin. That's why closing the curtains or pulling the blinds at night generally has a noticeable and immediate +ve impact (the curtains / blinds act to block the -ve radiative effects on our skin).

On top of this also, conservatories in general are also jutting out from the main building so the external heatloss area is quite large in relation to the useable internal floor area.

And to top it all off, the airtightness is generally shot as well as they are designed mostly for summer use.

I'm not saying it can't be done but all of the above needs to be considered in order to be reasonably confident of success.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Fix the real problem of heat escaping by putting on a roof.

By the sounds of it, you have enough heating in it, it's just that it can't keep the heat in.

Wrong. My sunroom has a tiled roof,it was impossible to heat until I got a stove.

Wrong. My sunroom has a tiled roof,it was impossible to heat until I got a stove.

Was it insulated?

• Advertisement

Was it insulated?

Yes. Very well as I discovered whilst fitting an outside socket. Roof was also insulated

Advertisement