Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with stupid names

Options
13»

Comments

I always associate New Zealand with weird names, even though I shouldn't since they have made a real effort to stamp weird names out :D It's a bit like associating the Spanish flu with Spainm, but anyway...

21 Baby Names That Have Been Forbidden In New Zealand --Lucifer, 4real, Stallion

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/21-baby-names-forbidden-new-zealand_n_5ae1f144e4b055fd7fc95f75
    A nine-year-old girl whose parents named her Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii was put into court guardianship in New Zealand so that her name could be changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/24/familyandrelationships.newzealand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The biggest complaint a friend of mine named Brian has is getting letters, name tags and place cards with “Brain” printed on them. Seems to happen an awful lot.

I knew an Enda, who, upon moving to the UK, got these with Edna on it.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I knew an Enda, who, upon moving to the UK, got these with Edna on it.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyCamber/status/540149095114223616?s=19

Brian, Derek, and Terry etc just sound to me like a group of lads who were born in northern england in the 1970s and formed a Phil Collins/ Genesis tribute act.

Brian’s a fairly Irish name, right? O’Brian etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

I once had an “encounter” with a lovely young lady with the name Denny. Think it was short for Denise, though. I never asked.[/QUOTE]
    Did ye give her the sausage:p:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Brian’s a fairly Irish name, right? O’Brian etc.

I once knew a Brian O’Brien, people called him “Bob”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

or the awkward moment when you look into the pram and say 'ah he's lovely, what's his name'..... and Eamonn is the reply

like just why :o

His grandfather was called Eamonn?

it's a perfect fine name for a grandfather. even a father at a push.

But I think it's awful for a new baby in the last 5 years to be called that :o

I wouldn't mind something like George, Harry or Louis being used but Eamonn, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I wouldn't mind something like George, Harry or Louis being used but Eamonn, no.

Fun fact:

There’s a New York-born rapper called ‘Eamon’. Amongst his discography is ‘F*ck it, I don’t want you back’.

Apparently, he’s named after the famous Irish middle distance runner Eamonn Coughlan. The rapper’s father was a huge fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Years ago backpacking in Australia and I met an American called Kerry Dingle and he was not impressed that I found his name funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

IMG_3295m.jpg

I lived in NL when this guy was a union leader and I still laugh when I first saw him on TV and he is now a senator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

An old lad near me is called Willie Player...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

So English monarchy titles are grand but not an Irish traditional name. Riiight. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Seprina
    Theady
    Eaney
    Simey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I once knew a Brian O’Brien, people called him “Bob”.

I worked with a fella called Niall O Dwyer and it took me a few weeks to work out why everyone in the place called him Noddy! :)

Also met a sales rep called Dermot McDermot, first time I met him I just couldn't take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Prince...the pop star

He was never a member of royalty

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jay Dee wrote: »

Very apt for a brothel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Queen Latifah.

Pick up the Financial Times on any given weekend, because the weekend edition is a directory of the most outlandish names. Their Scotland correspondent, Mure Dickie, sounds like some pipe-smoking, grouse-shooting hack from a PG Wodehouse novel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Miltiades, and he never answer the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement