Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any strange quriks\mannerism or habits ?

Options
  • 30-10-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Do you have any strange quriks\mannerism or habits that you do that maybe others don't know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

wally1990 wrote: »
    Do you have any strange quriks\mannerism or habits that you do that maybe others don't know about?

Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd say a lot of people have strange mannerisms/quirks that they don't know about themselves but others do, so it'd be the opposite of what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

rapul wrote: »
    Do you?

Yup, when I'm listening to someone that I've absolutely no interest in their conversation I purposely pinch a part of my hand to try and keep my focus on them. Otherwise I'll nearly end up looking away or speaking over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I find it really hard to keep my head still, it's as if I'm trying to stop the muscles in the back of my neck seizing up so I'm constantly making little head flicks , I doubt anyone would notice this but it seems to bother me more when I know someone is sitting or standing behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Whenever I am out for a walk, if ever there is a person walking towards me further up the path, I set a random marker halfway between us and try to 'beat' them past the post without noticeably picking up speed.

Whenever I am in an unfamiliar town for a break away or whatever and going for a walk around the place, for some reason I always find myself scoping out the best place in the town to sleep rough in the off-chance I need to. The same applies to large supermarkets or shopping centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

When I come home of an evening I check every room in the house to make sure everything is as it should be.
    I put all the blinds at equal lengths, straighten duvets/pillows, make sure everything is aligned neatly on bedside lockers and on the bathroom shelves then straighten all the towels and face cloths in the bathrooms (obviously!)
    Downstairs I align all the dining room chairs so they are straight with each other, adjust and fluff all cushions so they are uniform and tidy up/straighten remote controls and newspapers/magazines so they are nice and neat.
    I check and re-check every room to make sure nothing is out of place or untidy.
    I'm typing this and I can see myself that its nuts but I do it once sometimes several times a day and I cant relax if I dont feel that 'everything is as it should be' in the house.
    Then the wife or kids come in and trash the place by moving a facecloth or towel and I realise it's all futile anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't finish my sentences

I begin every sentence to a question that looks for an affirmation with 'yeah, no' for some reason.

When someone is talking to me and I'm trying to concentrate, my eyes wander so it seems like I've just gone vacant but what am trying to do is engage with my subconscious to see what I truly think about what they're telling me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

wally1990 wrote: »
    Do you have any strange quriks\mannerism or habits that you do that YOU IMAGINE THAT others don't know about?

fyp.

I don’t have any “strange quirks” that “others don’t know about”. I have deep, annoying, and well-documented flaws. In fact I’m amazed that no one’s ever punched me in the face (since I left school I mean). Do those count?

I mutter to myself a lot. Usually things I don't want to exit my short term memory before I've dealt with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not since I left the nuns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

When I come home of an evening I check every room in the house to make sure everything is as it should be.
    I put all the blinds at equal lengths, straighten duvets/pillows, make sure everything is aligned neatly on bedside lockers and on the bathroom shelves then straighten all the towels and face cloths in the bathrooms (obviously!)
    Downstairs I align all the dining room chairs so they are straight with each other, adjust and fluff all cushions so they are uniform and tidy up/straighten remote controls and newspapers/magazines so they are nice and neat.
    I check and re-check every room to make sure nothing is out of place or untidy.
    I'm typing this and I can see myself that its nuts but I do it once sometimes several times a day and I cant relax if I dont feel that 'everything is as it should be' in the house.
    Then the wife or kids come in and trash the place by moving a facecloth or towel and I realise it's all futile anyway!

That's not a quirk, that's OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When driving alone in the car, I sometimes do a running commentary (aloud) of what I see going on around me, in the persona of a golf commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

When driving alone in the car, I sometimes do a running commentary (aloud) of what I see going on around me, in the persona of a golf commentator.

''In the persona of a golf commentator'' hahahaha

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When eating dinner, I always leave the meat until last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

padd b1975 wrote: »

Something very masochistic about that, Padd.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

I do the same thing.

Yeah veg and potatoes first then the meat.
    Never mix and match, that's plain weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I leave one morsel of my favourite thing on the plate until last. Go out on a high note.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah veg and potatoes first then the meat.
    Never mix and match, that's plain weird!

Madness. Bit of steak on the fork, pick up some spud on the way past, then dip in pepper sauce and down the red brae.

The golden rule though, never mix your runnies. Don't add red/brown sauce to gravy. Don't (as my dad used to) put gravy on a runny fried egg!

I have an aunt that I've seen with brown sauce, curry sauce, gravy and pepper sauce all on one plate. Like a big beige paste by the end, the filthy hallion.
    Veg first (if I must). Spuds, meat and sauce together. But if you're getting full, abandon the spuds, cut your losses and go for the meat.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    ..Bit of steak on the fork, pick up some spud on the way past, then dip in pepper sauce and down the red brae...

Post reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

When I'm barefoot I walk on my tippy toes much to my wifes annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

every fork full has the proper ratio of all the elements of the meal that should be eaten together... maybe that's my strange habit but i'd rarely eat one element of a meal on its own first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I always leave a small morsel of food on my plate , maybe the size of a pea.
    Its left for the devil.

One of my great grandparents was a gypsy and he was terrified of the devil , this was the best way he could come up with keeping the devil happy.

Only males in my family do it , very discreetly too.

The women dont , sure there evil feckers anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

recyclops wrote: »
    When I'm barefoot I walk on my tippy toes much to my wifes annoyance

She has my full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i like to walk on dead leaves to here the crrrrrrrrunchhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Not that I am aware of but once worked in an office with 4 others and all of them had the tongue thinking quirk.

Whether we they were thinking or concentrating on something, two of them would place their tongue in their cheeks, another would cover her top teeth with her tongue and the other guy would stick his tongue out.

It was bizarre but I notice since that lots of people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I went to the doctor and he told me I had to stop masturbating. I said "why?". He said, "because I'm trying to examine you".

Is that a quirk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

every fork full has the proper ratio of all the elements of the meal that should be eaten together... maybe that's my strange habit but i'd rarely eat one element of a meal on its own first.

When I was a child I used to do that with every mouthful of food, each spoonful was a full meal arranged nicely. The reason was that I had an inner commentary going on in my head where I was feeding each meal to queued up hungry children in concentration camps. Reason is I had read ''I am David'' when very young and it influenced me so strongly that it was inside my head for years. Yep, careful what you let your kids read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I have a signed guitar pick I always keep in my pocket from the band Morbid Angel for luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I always leave the best part of the meal till last
    If I ate my sausages before my potatoes, I wouldn't be as bothered to eat them.

Advertisement