Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting central heating into an old house

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Merrion wrote: »
    It is the 9.3kw output (heat) model

Thanks. Will be interesting to see how it handles sub zero temperatures. With good insulation and airtightness it will probably be fine.

Any estimate (or even measured) of the BER?

I -and lots of others here, I presume- are getting customer questions about such installations when it comes to a boilers end of life.

Perhaps you could keep us updated here periodically as we go through the winter?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

893bet wrote: »
    If you stick in oil.

And do nothing else.

The house will still be cold. And you will burn a lot of oil.

Don't even dream of installing central heating without insulating the external walls. It would be money down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It is the 9.3kw output (heat) model

You’ve done what I always thought would be a good idea. I get the notion every time I’m in Spain. How are the running costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How are the running costs?

Too early to say - and I don't really have a real comparison as this is the first year I have been in the house 7 days a week. The meter isn't spinning like a demon though, and the house is toasty.

I have no idea if this would suit every house - my house is small and has high ceilings (and very insulated attic) so may be well suited to this set up.

Too early to say - and I don't really have a real comparison as this is the first year I have been in the house 7 days a week. The meter isn't spinning like a demon though, and the house is toasty.

I have no idea if this would suit every house - my house is small and has high ceilings (and very insulated attic) so may be well suited to this set up.

Are the fans loud?

• Advertisement

Not really - it makes a low pitch humming noise that'd be about as load as the fan oven (with the door closed) in the kitchen... it has a "silent" mode but I haven't used it...

Not really - it makes a low pitch humming noise that'd be about as load as the fan oven (with the door closed) in the kitchen... it has a "silent" mode but I haven't used it...

Did you install it yourself? Do you need an F gas cert?

No, I wouldn't be able to fit this -MOD SNIP "Fresh Air Conditioning Ireland LTD" fitted it - price above included his labour and also an electrician out to fit a new spur from the junction box.

They did a tidy job and I would definitely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

spakman wrote: »
    monseiur wrote: »

The house already has storage heaters but they're nearly as old as the house!
    There's little to no attic, so insulating the roof isnt a straightforward job - nothing is with this house :)
    I suggested new storage heaters as a temporary measure as your house is already wired for them, I assume that the new slim line ones are more efficient and economical to run.
    Regarding insulation, start upstairs - replace what I guess may be TG&V board timber ceilings with insulated plaster slab and work your way down with suitable insulation on all external walls. Hopefully you won't encounter any hidden issues with the roof like wet or dry rot, wood worm, leaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Did you install it yourself? Do you need an F gas cert?

Just to confirm, the majority of heat pumps do need a qualified F gas operator to install. There are some newer ones coming on the market which don't contain F gases so can be installed by any handyman but they're quite rare at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

25 k seems insane!

ercork wrote: »
    Just to confirm, the majority of heat pumps do need a qualified F gas operator to install. There are some newer ones coming on the market which don't contain F gases so can be installed by any handyman but they're quite rare at this stage.

For the systems described yea. All houses I do now have monoblock units and don’t need f gas

For the systems described yea. All houses I do now have monoblock units and don’t need f gas

Really? That's great. Would you mind sending me on the details of the model that you use? Probably best to do it through DM. Thanks.

Really? That's great. Would you mind sending me on the details of the model that you use? Probably best to do it through DM. Thanks.

It’s no secret tbh. Panasonic heatpumps do monoblock and split units. Good luck wiring one though. I’ve seen electricians reduced to tears trying to figure them out. Grant engineering do a monoblock unit too and much simpler to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭3d4life

It’s no secret tbh. Panasonic heatpumps do monoblock and split units. ....

Are you talking A2W or A2A here ?

3d4life wrote: »
    Are you talking A2W or A2A here ?

Air to water

It’s no secret tbh. Panasonic heatpumps do monoblock and split units. Good luck wiring one though. I’ve seen electricians reduced to tears trying to figure them out. Grant engineering do a monoblock unit too and much simpler to work with

Any idea what refrigerant gas they use?

Any idea what refrigerant gas they use?

No idea.

LG Monobloc Therma V (air to water) have no need for refrigerant piping work on install (the external unit holds the R32 and can be factory-loaded).

Advertisement