Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting central heating into an old house

Options
  • 29-10-2020 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a large old house (1800s) which has never had central heating to speak of, bar a couple rads off a range with back boiler. Most rooms have storage heaters which need to be replaced and house is freezing in winter so decided to bite the bullet and get oil central heating installed.

Had a plumber out to size up the job - putting double rads with TRVs in all rooms (5 bedrooms, 3 living rooms, kitchen, utility, hallway x2), heated towel rails and power showers in bathrooms, oil condensing boiler, zoned (upstairs, downstairs, water i prrsume), new hot water cylinder, oil tank, all pipework etc

Haven't got breakdown yet of exactly what he's delivering or materials. I know it's a big job and it's an old house which might make it a bit more awkward, but the cost estimate has shocked me - €25k!

I had 10-15k in my head. I can't get it to add up to anything close to 25k from looking at costs online. Anyone think how it could reasonably be that much!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depends on a lot of factors! Is he chasing floors or rising boards? Is he drilling through 3ft walls? Is he supplying a bunded oil tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Old houses are a nightmare.
    No mention of insulation at all.
    My advice is shop around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I presume the existing radiator plumbing is of zero reuse value? Won't have a huge impact regardless. And how many bathrooms?

Get a second quote, at the very least - it seems high but I wouldn't be expecting quotes at the lower end of your range if in it at all as it is basically an ab initio install, even if some of the existing kit can be reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Depends on a lot of factors! Is he chasing floors or rising boards? Is he drilling through 3ft walls? Is he supplying a bunded oil tank?

Yes to all of those I'd imagine!

Old houses are a nightmare.
    No mention of insulation at all.
    My advice is shop around.

Not going near insulation in this job. That's for another day when hopefully the retrofit grants will help us out, because it will be a lot more than 25k!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I presume the existing radiator plumbing is of zero reuse value? Won't have a huge impact regardless. And how many bathrooms?

Get a second quote, at the very least - it seems high but I wouldn't be expecting quotes at the lower end of your range if in it at all as it is basically an ab initio install, even if some of the existing kit can be reused.

Yeah, he said the same himself. What's there is fine, but when doing the big job, we're as well to replace it and it's not a big part of the cost (that's what he said initially anyway).
    Ab initio - that's a new one for me, thanks for that :D

spakman wrote: »
    Yes to all of those I'd imagine!

Don’t imagine. Get several quotes and make sure you’re pricing like for like. That’s the important bit. An oil tank is 300. A bunded oil tank is nearly 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Have you looked at the grants available or possibly coming up?

Have you planned the insulation? Are the new radiators going to have to be moved when the walls are insulated?

Have you planned the insulation? Are the new radiators going to have to be moved when the walls are insulated?

No grants of any significant amount available at the moment, but am applying for what's there.
    For insulation, a lot of it would likely be dry lining. so some rads would need to be moved while thats going on. will say it to plumber before he starts, not sure he can do much?
    Ideally we'd do one big job, with the insulation first and then the heating but that's just not possible.

No grants of any significant amount available at the moment, but am applying for what's there.
    For insulation, a lot of it would likely be dry lining. so some rads would need to be moved while thats going on. will say it to plumber before he starts, not sure he can do much?
    Ideally we'd do one big job, with the insulation first and then the heating but that's just not possible.

There’s 750 for heating controls available. That’d help a bit

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There’s 750 for heating controls available. That’d help a bit

yep, saw that :)
    Just need to make sure the plumber is on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

For insulation, a lot of it would likely be dry lining.
    Just something to bear in mind;
    I really would re-evaluate this option on an 1800's stone building. Unless you know what you're doing (and few do!), you risk causing a lot more problems than you solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Any insight into what grants are coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

You're putting the cart before the horse here.
    Step one is dry line / insulate walls first, the method will depend on type of walls - I assume it' stone built. You may have to use breathable lime render - get professional advice on this.
    Ensure that suitable grounds are put in place to hang rads.
    Insulate attic minimum 300mm. You may have to upgrade windows/ external doors to triple glazed. Also if budget allows replace floors with screed on underfloor insulation. (consider underfloor heating)
    Your plumber may be able to hide most pipes in first fix if he works in tandem with builder doing the dry lining etc.
    Installing central heating in an uninsulated house is money down the drain...or down the pockets of already rich Sheiks - do it once and do it right !

monseiur wrote: »
    You're putting the cart before the horse here.
    Step one is dry line / insulate walls first, the method will depend on type of walls - I assume it' stone built. You may have to use breathable lime render - get professional advice on this.
    Ensure that suitable grounds are put in place to hang rads.
    Insulate attic minimum 300mm. You may have to upgrade windows/ external doors to triple glazed. Also if budget allows replace floors with screed on underfloor insulation. (consider underfloor heating)
    Your plumber may be able to hide most pipes in first fix if he works in tandem with builder doing the dry lining etc.
    Installing central heating in an uninsulated house is money down the drain...or down the pockets of already rich Sheiks - do it once and do it right !

That's all very logical and sensible - will you pay for it? Because I certainly can't.

In the meantime, the house is freezing and storage heaters and buckets of coal are no longer tolerable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

He doesn’t want the job but he do it for that astronomical price if you were to give him the go ahead.

10k easily supply all equipment.

Handy 15k for two weeks work.

€7500 per week or €1500 per day nice dollars if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Doolittle51

That's all very logical and sensible - will you pay for it? Because I certainly can't.

In the meantime, the house is freezing and storage heaters and buckets of coal are no longer tolerable tbh.

He's right though, there's a certain order in which things should be done. You may find you end up paying more in the long run if you don't do everything in the correct order. But if you want central heating asap, then that's what most likely will happen. You'll get it installed, and then have to pay someone to remove and subsequently replace rads to allow for drylining to take place, so that's a least 2 visits for a plumber. If don't dry line the whole house at the same time, the plumber will be in and out of there every few months. May as well ask him to set up an account for you.
    Renovating an old house isn't quick, cheap or easy. Do take heed of the advice about old walls and lime plaster etc. & seek professional advice. There was an episode of Room to Improve where they removed the dry lining in an old house only to reveal years of mold growth behind the dry lining.
    25k does seem a lot for a modest enough install but as some other poster said, he probably doesn't want the job, too much work/hassle, so priced it high to ensure he wouldn't get it.

He's right though, there's a certain order in which things should be done. You may find you end up paying more in the long run if you don't do everything in the correct order. But if you want central heating asap, then that's what most likely will happen. You'll get it installed, and then have to pay someone to remove and subsequently replace rads to allow for drylining to take place, so that's a least 2 visits for a plumber. If don't dry line the whole house at the same time, the plumber will be in and out of there every few months. May as well ask him to set up an account for you.
    Renovating an old house isn't quick, cheap or easy. Do take heed of the advice about old walls and lime plaster etc. & seek professional advice. There was an episode of Room to Improve where they removed the dry lining in an old house only to reveal years of mold growth behind the dry lining.
    25k does seem a lot for a modest enough install but as some other poster said, he probably doesn't want the job, too much work/hassle, so priced it high to ensure he wouldn't get it.

Can't afford (monetarily) to do the insulation without a grant - it's too big of a job.
    Also can't afford to wait (timewise) for the grant to become available as the house is just too cold.
    Compromises have to be made.
    I'm hoping that the retrofit grant (assuming it materialises) will mean that the extra cost required for removing the rads to allow for dry-lining will be more easily absorbed, and that the overall cost is much less than trying to finance it all myself up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Can't afford (monetarily) to do the insulation without a grant - it's too big of a job.
    Also can't afford to wait (timewise) for the grant to become available as the house is just too cold.
    Compromises have to be made.
    I'm hoping that the retrofit grant (assuming it materialises) will mean that the extra cost required for removing the rads to allow for dry-lining will be more easily absorbed, and that the overall cost is much less than trying to finance it all myself up front.

Where possible keep the rads on the internal walls as only the external walls will be dry lined.Same applies to bathroom and any fixtures and pipework.Any fixtures/pipes that have to be on the external wall that will be moved later,think ahead in terms of joinings and make a plan/draw a plan so that later everything is easily removed,blanked off for a while and then replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

upupup wrote: »
    Where possible keep the rads on the internal walls as only the external walls will be dry lined.Same applies to bathroom and any fixtures and pipework.Any fixtures/pipes that have to be on the external wall that will be moved later,think ahead in terms of joinings and make a plan/draw a plan so that later everything is easily removed,blanked off for a while and then replaced.

If you can find a plan for pipework so that all or most of the radiators are back to back on the two sides of a central wall which ascends through the house you may be able to drive down the price of the project a bit. Putting radiators on external walls is going to require a lot more labour because the plumber needs to pull up more floorboards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭893bet

If you stick in oil.

And do nothing else.

The house will still be cold. And you will burn a lot of oil.

[HTML][/HTML]
    If you can find a plan for pipework so that all or most of the radiators are back to back on the two sides of a central wall which ascends through the house you may be able to drive down the price of the project a bit. Putting radiators on external walls is going to require a lot more labour because the plumber needs to pull up more floorboards.

Thanks. In fairness, i think that's the plan where possible. A lot of the rooms have two external walls and are large rooms so doesn't always make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi, I have a large old house (1800s) which has never had central heating to speak of, bar a couple rads off a range with back boiler. Most rooms have storage heaters which need to be replaced and house is freezing in winter so decided to bite the bullet and get oil central heating installed.

I guess the house was once the abode of some low ranking landlord / agent or perhaps it was a presbytery or similar. They had their maids to keep the open fires throughout the house including bedrooms going all winter long !

Would you consider, as a temporary measure until the new grants become available, fitting some electric storage heaters or panel heaters. Not cheap to run but better than having to re do the plumbing. Also insulate attic, this is somethin you may be able to do yourself to save a few shekels.
    Is the roof finished in Blue Bangor or similar natural slate without felt underneath ?
    Regarding pipework to radiators etc. would a micro bore system off a manifold work ? You may be able to drop pipes down form ceiling concealed in ducts in dry lining, may be less labour intensive that going through thick stone walls where you may have to dig out a stone the size of a beer keg or bigger for a 4'' x 4'' duct.
    Professional plumbers on here may be able to advise you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

If you don't already have a wet circuit with radiators then I would consider installing air-to-air heat exchangers (a multi-split) and separate water heating for the hot water.

I am also installing a sunamp heat battery for the hot water so as to store solar energy for that but there are cheaper options for that.

I have a Samsung multi-split that cost €5000 including fitting in an 1880s stone cottage and it works fine. We also added insulation and hunted down every possible draft..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Merrion wrote: »
    If you don't already have a wet circuit with radiators then I would consider installing air-to-air heat exchangers (a multi-split) and separate water heating for the hot water.

I am also installing a sunamp heat battery for the hot water so as to store solar energy for that but there are cheaper options for that.

I have a Samsung multi-split that cost €5000 including fitting in an 1880s stone cottage and it works fine. We also added insulation and hunted down every possible draft..

What is the output of your heat pump?

Any pics of the install?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Interesting. I think, as you said, that would need the insulation sorted first, so it's nota runner at the moment

monseiur wrote: »

I guess the house was once the abode of some low ranking landlord / agent or perhaps it was a presbytery or similar. They had their maids to keep the open fires throughout the house including bedrooms going all winter long !

Would you consider, as a temporary measure until the new grants become available, fitting some electric storage heaters or panel heaters. Not cheap to run but better than having to re do the plumbing. Also insulate attic, this is somethin you may be able to do yourself to save a few shekels.
    Is the roof finished in Blue Bangor or similar natural slate without felt underneath ?
    Regarding pipework to radiators etc. would a micro bore system off a manifold work ? You may be able to drop pipes down form ceiling concealed in ducts in dry lining, may be less labour intensive that going through thick stone walls where you may have to dig out a stone the size of a beer keg or bigger for a 4'' x 4'' duct.
    Professional plumbers on here may be able to advise you on this.

The house already has storage heaters but they're nearly as old as the house!
    There's little to no attic, so insulating the roof isnt a straightforward job - nothing is with this house :)

Wearb wrote: »
    What is the output of your heat pump?

Any pics of the install?

There's a small write-up with pictures of the heat pump and heat battery here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There's a small write-up with pictures of the heat pump and heat battery here

Very interesting option. What is the output in kw?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

It is the 9.3kw output (heat) model

Advertisement