Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surely chicken is chicken?

Options
  • 28-10-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I haven't looked into it but can someone explain to me why 800g of chicken fillets from lidi has a good bit less calories then 800g of chicken fillets from supervalu? Surely it's the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

mickwat155 wrote: »
    I haven't looked into it but can someone explain to me why 800g of chicken fillets from lidi has a good bit less calories then 800g of chicken fillets from supervalu? Surely it's the same thing?

If you check a few online sites ,you might get different values as well ,
    Could depend on the test method ,maybe ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Define "a good bit less"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Where do the chickens come from? What breed are they? What was their diet? How much exercise did they get? What was their environment like? What percentage of the fillet is water?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I might be imagining it, but Lidl meat seems to have more water in it. It shrinks when you cook it, so there was probably less meat there to begin with.

You get what you pay for I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Which thread came first...the chicken one or the egg one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Chicken meat is commonly "plumped" by injecting water/salt/chicken stock to make it appear meatier/more succulent. This may represent 15-20% of the weight of the finished product- could be more if you are buying frozen chicken.

Advertisement