Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convincing someone that PV is the way to go

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

slave1 wrote: »
    Ah, I'm mid Zappi 2/hub/harvi install but the economics on the Eddi just not worth it, even looked on ebay and they are still £300, would need to drop considerably in price before worth it

What's the benefits of the harvi?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Diverts excess (generation over current usage) electricity to the immersion element in your hot water cylinder instead of the grid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

Just allows for CT clamp to be used wirelessly. If eddi or zappi are far away from where ct clamp is you don't need to add extra cabling to CT clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    Diverts excess (generation over current usage) electricity to the immersion element in your hot water cylinder instead of the grid

That’s the Eddi.

KCross wrote: »
    That’s the Eddi.

Opps, eye read Harvi, brain read Eddi:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

graememk wrote: »
    It can control the power going to the element, that's why it only works on resistive loads. I think it uses pwm to do it

Yep it's PWM . Varisine is their proprietary name for whatever MOSFETs or other transistors they use to get a sine wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

KCross wrote: »
    . TL;DR... dont charge the battery on night rate. Its fools gold.

Interested to hear if others have taken the approach of charging the battery during the night and how effective this has been? We're looking at a community project which would involve battery night time charging. Have other's seen success with this method?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peustace wrote: »
    Interested to hear if others have taken the approach of charging the battery during the night and how effective this has been? We're looking at a community project which would involve battery night time charging. Have other's seen success with this method?

Yes I do this. It's called peak shaving. My battery is only 4.5kWh at the moment so I only put through about 4kWh per day or something like that, but that still saves about 6-7c per unit (net of losses) so roughly about €100 per year saving

The battery also saves at least that from use during the day with PV

I built my battery myself, didn't get any subsidy for it and the pay back period is quite short. But that's more to do with me buying the parts at keen prices, doing the install mostly DIY and usually selling stuff on after a year or two when I upgrade to something different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭KCross

peustace wrote: »
    We're looking at a community project which would involve battery night time charging.

Can you share some details of that community project? The economics of that are potentially different to a single domestic install so could be a different answer depending on what you are planning and what technology is involved.

• Advertisement

Guys a quick question regarding the efergy.

Do I clamp the sensor to the wire at the meter or at the fuse board?

thanks

Guys a quick question regarding the efergy.

Do I clamp the sensor to the wire at the meter or at the fuse board?

thanks

Is this just for getting an idea of your usage before getting solar then should make no difference as there should be nothing between meter and fuse board I expect?

If its like Efergy E2 classic doco explains how to to connect it in meter box

idc wrote: »
    Is this just for getting an idea of your usage before getting solar then should make no difference as there should be nothing between meter and fuse board I expect?

If its like Efergy E2 classic doco explains how to to connect it in meter box

It's just for usage. The meter is at the back of the house and modem and hub at front. It's not pairing.

It's just for usage. The meter is at the back of the house and modem and hub at front. It's not pairing.

Ah yes, i usually brought the monitor out with me to pair it first. then bring into the house, but every couple of weeks would need to repeat or bring the monitor somewhere closer to reconnect :(

idc wrote: »
    Ah yes, i usually brought the monitor out with me to pair it first. then bring into the house, but every couple of weeks would need to repeat or bring the monitor somewhere closer to reconnect :(

Does it need to be clamped to the power to pair it?

I think I need a longer cable to connect to my modem

Does it need to be clamped to the power to pair it?

I think I need a longer cable to connect to my modem

Don't remember. I still have it but don't use it since I got pv installed. I think it started losing connection a lot more frequently possibly monitor cant handle the fact that no electricity was being used from grid

Advertisement