Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hand sanitizer supplied at shops....but is it?

Options
  • 24-10-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Has anyone questioned what is in the hand sanitizer bottles in the shops? We do not know what make or ingredients are in them. Should the stores put the brand and ingredients on the stand as well?
    I was in one shop and it smelt like watered down bleach. This was a major chain.

The schools have been supplied with products with not approved ingredients. We could be using products that are not suitable as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was in a shop a few months back. The hand sanitiser I squirted into my hand at the the entrance was, no word of a lie, mouthwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You could just use your own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You could just use your own ?

I do. Some store staff direct you to their sanitizer stand and look at you oddly if you use your own.
    I also noticed some stores do not have someone making sure customers are using the hand sanitizer or that you are cleaning your trolley or basket. There are a few chain stores have staff cleaning the baskets before you use them but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I was in a shop a few months back. The hand sanitiser I squirted into my hand at the the entrance was, no word of a lie, mouthwash.

I believe you. I was in one store and it was liquid soap and I had to use the paper towel to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I use my own. I'm not putting my hands on something that hundreds of people have touched before me. Especially at the moment. If people look at you funny let them. It's your health.

You can't rely on theirs and half the time they are empty anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

tvjunki wrote:
    I was in one shop and it smelt like watered down bleach. This was a major chain.

Bleach should sanitize your hands extremely well... it's really harsh on the skin, though! =o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

The problem with the whole approved product thing is that it relies solely upon the distributor declaring what is in the product. The application process for PCS numbers requires no testing of the product at all. It’s purely an admin exercise.

A company set up in April lands a major contract, gets a PCS number which can take well over a year, and makes a quick buck. Something very fishy about all this.

Heebie wrote: »
    Bleach should sanitize your hands extremely well... it's really harsh on the skin, though! =o

It will. As some companies wanted to supply product they would put an oxygen bleach in to make the product go further, as the raw materials have significantly gone up in price, which is why ViraPro used methanol not ethanol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

I use my own. I'm not putting my hands on something that hundreds of people have touched before me. Especially at the moment. If people look at you funny let them. It's your health.

You can't rely on theirs and half the time they are empty anyway.

Do people think at all before they write rubbish like this? You're going to clean your hands AFTER you've touched the thing that 'hundreds of people have touched before' you!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most shops are providing standard sanitiser. If the odd one uses something a bid dodgy one squirt isn't going to damage you. If you are allergic to anything in sanitisers then, as suggested, bring your own. I occasionally do not use it going in if I have just seconds ago left a shop and used theirs, then gone straight to another shop, I always sanitise trollies though, even before covid I was a bit suspicious of trolly handles.

One upside of covid is how clean many of the stores are now!

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Do people think at all before they write rubbish like this? You're going to clean your hands AFTER you've touched the thing that 'hundreds of people have touched before' you!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Calm down. You are not washing your hands so you are not properly cleaning them.

I think you are the one speaking rubbish if you think cleaning is putting a few squirts of god knows what on your hands. Half the time they are empty so you are also not cleaning your hands.

You can trust some randomers on a shop to supply proper sanitizer. I will use my own.

Washing your hands is the only way to properly clean them. You should look it up before you are so rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Calm down. You are not washing your hands so you are not properly cleaning them.

I think you are the one speaking rubbish if you think cleaning is putting a few squirts of god knows what on your hands. Half the time they are empty so you are also not cleaning your hands.

You can trust some randomers on a shop to supply proper sanitizer. I will use my own.

Washing your hands is the only way to properly clean them. You should look it up before you are so rude.

So if we are not "properly cleaning them" why are we using it at all? Have you any source for this assertion you've made? I have to say to me at least it sounds like tin hat stuff.

If - and it's a big if, the shops are NOT using hand sanitizer I'd agree with you to some degree but every shop I've gone into has proper hand sanitizer at the door from what I can see. I've taken the time to look at a few of them out of curiosty and most are high alcohol % sanitizers that do I would guess at least as good a job as most people will do given soap and water.

Deagol wrote: »
    So if we are not "properly cleaning them" why are we using it at all? Have you any source for this assertion you've made? I have to say to me at least it sounds like tin hat stuff.

If - and it's a big if, the shops are NOT using hand sanitizer I'd agree with you to some degree but every shop I've gone into has proper hand sanitizer at the door from what I can see. I've taken the time to look at a few of them out of curiosty and most are high alcohol % sanitizers that do I would guess at least as good a job as most people will do given soap and water.

I have often used them and they are empty. I have no idea of what they are refilling them with.

I have no source for either of those facts, no.
    Obviously.

It may sound like tin hat stuff to you but I am not going to trust strangers with my health for the sake of carrying around my own.
    You do what you like. But you are quite naive if you think a few drops is going to wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Even before Covid, our GP had liquid soap in the dispenser at the entrance.

I would trust a GP or a hospital to have the correct stuff. I have no idea of what I am using in a random shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

When going to shops I wear nitrate gloves, get several uses out of one pair. I'm blitzing with hands sanasizer whenever I see it.. seems to work for me ethol or bleach fine by me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Johnny1999 wrote: »

A company set up in April lands a major contract, gets a PCS number which can take well over a year, and makes a quick buck. Something very fishy about all this.

Doesnt sound very well does it , landing a major gov contract just after incorporation selling masks and sanitizing products made in Turkey. Virapro is owned by a group whose main area of expertise was supplying stationary prior to covid arriving on our shores.

Car99 wrote: »
    Doesnt sound very well does it , landing a major gov contract just after incorporation selling masks and sanitizing products made in Turkey. Virapro is owned by a group whose main area of expertise was supplying stationary prior to covid arriving on our shores.

Anyone able to find out the company director? Think it’s based in Kilbarrack.

When going to shops I wear nitrate gloves, get several uses out of one pair. I'm blitzing with hands sanasizer whenever I see it.. seems to work for me ethol or bleach fine by me...

So by using a pair of single use gloves several times you are protected? My guess is those gloves that you are reusing are more contaminated with bacteria than the trolleys and baskets. Use them once and then get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I would trust a GP or a hospital to have the correct stuff. I have no idea of what I am using in a random shop.

Some care facilities and other health settings were using it according to reports.

Anyway all I look for is an alcohol content of 70% + and the gloopy stuff that makes it gel like. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bottle so I don't smell like I've just downed ten pints. Good to go.

Wouldn't use the sanitisers anywhere public. Just bring the little bottle in my pocket.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.checkout.ie/amp/a-brands/new-child-friendly-sanitiser-launched-retail-trade-104171

“My children’s hands were raw red during the coronavirus pandemic from using alcohol hand gels,” says Mrs Crowley of Co Dublin and mother to Caoimhe 13, Eimear 11, and Darragh 7.”

ViraPro is a brand created and owned by Portfolio Group, an Irish family business, which was founded by Richard McMullan in 1991. The first person he employed was his own Dad, after he persuaded him to come out of retirement and join the business!

Tony McMullan says that, as their strong trading relationship with suppliers continues, ViraPro are “not only able to guarantee consistent quality supply but are constantly expanding the range of preventative sanitising solutions and healthcare equipment on offer, both to business and retail customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think you have the right to decide how to protect your own health.

If you feel uncomfortable about what the shop supplies you absolutely have the right to bring your own sanitiser and use it.

If, and I expect it is very unlikely, the shopkeeper objects to you doing so simply take your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Anyone able to find out the company director? Think it’s based in Kilbarrack.

Directors are all on LinkedIn look up Virapro , maaxcare, portfolio group. Directors predominantly one family. " using their experience to harness the potential of the post covid 19 world"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some care facilities and other health settings were using it according to reports.

Anyway all I look for is an alcohol content of 70% + and the gloopy stuff that makes it gel like. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bottle so I don't smell like I've just downed ten pints. Good to go.

Wouldn't use the sanitisers anywhere public. Just bring the little bottle in my pocket.

That's the whole point of this recall. The hand sanitizer should contain ethanol not methanol. Methanol is poisonous. There are a whole load of different types of alcohols. Methanol is not the correct one for use in hand sanitizer.

That's the whole point of this recall. The hand sanitizer should contain ethanol not methanol. Methanol is poisonous. There are a whole load of different types of alcohols. Methanol is not the correct one for use in hand sanitizer.

Well if an ordinary Joe like me can figure that out, how did the procurement processes not figure out that it was methylated spirits not alcohol.

I see many claims down the line and lawyers rubbing their properly sanitised hands together.

Car99 wrote: »

Not making any judgements here, but if you are correct, this could keep us going in popcorn over the Winter. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well if an ordinary Joe like me can figure that out, how did the procurement processes not figure out that it was methylated spirits not alcohol.

I see many claims down the line and lawyers rubbing their properly sanitised hands together.

I doubt the procurement process involved reading the ingredients on the label. They just bought from the company.

I had a look at one of their bottles online last night, I noticed it said 70% alcohol, rather than 70% ethanol. The company might have just used methanol thinking they'd get away with it. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I just use my own. The price gouging has stopped now. I buy a couple of large bottles and use them to refill a small bottle I carry around. My local Centra does two 500ml bottles 70% alcohol (Irish made) for €8 which seems a good deal to me.

I doubt the procurement process involved reading the ingredients on the label. They just bought from the company.

I had a look at one of their bottles online last night, I noticed it said 70% alcohol, rather than 70% ethanol. The company might have just used methanol thinking they'd get away with it. Who knows?

Ah yes, but.... the order should have specified Ethanol content surely?

The products I buy have 70% alcohol, so in fairness who knows if that contains meths either, but no reaction on the hands so far in anything I have purchased. These products will be much safer soon with better scrutiny. Good. Hope it doesn't stop people from using hand gel either.

The lawyers will have a field day. Well hopefully not but you get the drift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

tvjunki wrote: »
    I do. Some store staff direct you to their sanitizer stand and look at you oddly if you use your own.
    I also noticed some stores do not have someone making sure customers are using the hand sanitizer or that you are cleaning your trolley or basket. There are a few chain stores have staff cleaning the baskets before you use them but not all.

Let's face it there is an OVEREMPHASIS on hand sanatizer, whilst it is important the evidence of significant tranmission via fomites is limited. Just DONT touch your face. SOCIAL DISTNCING is very Important but sadly lacking in many shops and outdoors. Ventillation indoors very IMPORTANT as evidence of AIRBOURNE transmission but very little talk about this.Where are the Marshall's in shops to encourage obeying rules.

Furthermore the amount of people who dont understand masks is phenomenal. Masks aren't required outdoors when social distanced. Plastic Visors-- USELESS ON THEIR OWN. why then are they allowed by staff etc in DUNNES , M&S just to name two when even the CMO discouraged their use?

Advertisement