Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One thing I like about eras like that is the relative lack of marketing compared to today and few focus groups so more chances were taken. Plus modernism was still in full flow, we weren't nearly so cynical about the future and reckoned things would always get better and more "futuristic". Now of course so much has improved in the interim, but in our corner of the world watches in the mainstream look back and conservatism and faux "authenticity" is much more the thing. So you'll have Longines and Zenith homages to themselves with faux ageing on the dials, Rolex make a slight colour change to the bezel of a model that's unchanged since men wore hats and it's big news.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just wondering Wibbs, is it a challenge finding someone to service these unique watches? Have heard especially with the early quartz movements people on the forums finding it difficult getting work done.

As you know I love that Omega Mariner of yours ;) ,eBay.de seems to be where they are all living, always with a German day wheel as well, I guess it makes sense Germany would be popular for one of the most accurate watches with their reputation of efficiency:D

Speaking of quartz, with my obsession with Bell-Matics here is a quartz version made in the 80s

457064-c93a1dee7beb80cef5e62df7d0534fd7.jpg

Mentioned before I was chatting to a guy about vintage LED watches. Another example of interests crossing over,found this video by TechMoan about the HP calculator watch,seems to have gotten the stainless steel model since making the video.

1977_Hewlett-Packard-HP-01-Watch%20wally%20shira%20list1-L.jpg

Now I find myself watching videos about random electronics's :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not everything in the 70s was a great idea.

Yeah, that moustache isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I got my poor man's Rolex today :D

533442.jpg

'99 full set, ref. 16570, excellent condition, rare "SWISS" only dial indicating the relatively short period of Rolex between using radioactive tritium lume and the current superluminova. Irish watch originally sold by Weir's of Grafton Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    I got my poor man's Rolex today :D

'99 full set, ref. 16570, excellent condition, rare "SWISS" only dial indicating the relatively short period of Rolex between using radioactive tritium lume and the current superluminova. Irish watch originally sold by Weir's of Grafton Street!

Well wear!
    Weird on 2 fronts from you tho...
    It's not blue, and that's a half decent photo :P

I stand by what I said in the dreamer thread, it and it's black dialled brethren are the Rolex GMT that I'm most drawn to :(
    Being classless and poor sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Very nice Unkel, I have been a fan of the Explorer 2 for a while. For me it always seemed like a much more interesting watch than the Explorer. Is that 3 Rolexes in your collection now? I assume this is not the one that was on Adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wish Pablo! I can only own one at a time. Bought the Explorer 6 months ago then traded up to a Milgauss the next month. Then sold that to hitemfrank here on the forum back in September. And today bought this one.

And no, it wasn't the one on adverts. That was way overpriced for an incomplete watch (no bracelet) and the seller wasn't budging on his minimum price.
    banie01 wrote: »
    Well wear!
    Weird on 2 fronts from you tho...
    It's not blue, and that's a half decent photo :P

Rolex don't do much decent blue :(

And pic was taken in the car through WhatsApp on my elderly phone. If it is half decent, that must have been a fluke or courtesy of the nice sunshine we had today :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just wondering Wibbs, is it a challenge finding someone to service these unique watches? Have heard especially with the early quartz movements people on the forums finding it difficult getting work done.
    The Trench watches are simple enough. Unless you need parts, but if you have one of the commoner movements ebay will usually do the trick. Early quartz and electronic stuff a must is a spare working movement.
    found this video by TechMoan about the HP calculator watch,seems to have gotten the stainless steel model since making the video.
    Funny enough, even before the whole watch collecting thing went mainstream they were always a pretty penny to buy, if you could find one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ian OB

Anyway, its not all knock offs from the Polish markets that adorn my wrist. When I'm feeling fancy then this gets an airing. More than likely NOS from communist era East Germany tather than something that was actually in that time. But, its <i>my</i> Glashütte, & when I'm wearing it I feel like I belong in high society.

533514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Ian_OB am liking that a lot.
    Love the "Made in GDR"!

A little piece of history to own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ian OB

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @Ian_OB am liking that a lot.
    Love the "Made in GDR"!

A little piece of history to own.

"Made in GDR" is what sold it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Nice lume on the Dark side, really liking this!

OsaCujY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

I love the “side of the moon” series of watches. Just wish they had made a ladies version for me at 38mm ish!

Cyrus wrote: »
    Nice lume on the Dark side, really liking this!
    Yeah, I'm really liking that too C. IMHO the Speedy looks bloody fantastic as a two register chrono and the date works too. Though I much prefer two register chronos as a rule. They look more balanced to my eye.

Sorry in advance for another Bell-Matic related post :o
    Still hunting for the original bracelet, in the meantime I bought a leather strap that arrived in the post today, [Link] to eBay listing for the strap. Apologize for the poor lighting as it was dark by the time I got home from work

VXvbV7B.jpg

oo7WIPJ.jpg

Took inspiration for the strap choice from this picture of another Dolphin posted on wristsushi [Link]

eubya0z.jpg

I think the black with the white stitching go well with the black and white dial

JCXsuJm.jpg

AbiOhmh.jpg

YMR7ke7.jpg

W1ZUclZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

^ Nice looking strap. Very similar to the Hirsch Liberty.

That's a bloody lovely little watch IP, never mind the tale behind it on top. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

Recent arrival. I had been on the lookout for a while but folks were asking stupid money for very damaged examples.

Imported from Japan for €102 all in. Very happy.

Runs very nicely indeed. Since I grabbed these photos it has had a quick polish to tidy it up. Second photo shows the lovely faceted crystal better.

Seiko-LM-clear.jpg

Seiko-LM-facets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've been following some of those faceted crystal Seikos since someone else here posted theirs.

I assume the crystal is actually acrylic?

hitemfrank wrote:
    I assume the crystal is actually acrylic?

Looking at the damaged examples I would have to guess it is.

• Advertisement

Seiko really made some great watches, what year is it from? Very funky design, great find!

Love looking through the Japanese Auctions, some of the prices though. Currently have my eye on this Bell from Dec 67 that has the correct bracelet I am hunting for that ends tomorrow [Link] I suspect it will go too high and still on the fence about buying it just for the bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Orient kamasu. Xmas present for son. Not bad for 180 euro delivered

PXL-20201124-095701870.jpg

Seiko really made some great watches, what year is it from? Very funky design, great find!

If I've decoded the serial correctly it's 1974

Amplitude and accuracy in my 1942 Doxa DH was going down so I fitted a new mainspring.

534029.jpg

Cracking little movement in these. Simple but robust(there's more decoration on the bits you can't see). Anti magnetic with early anti shock. The steel case is nicely made and machined(the majority of issued DH's were plated brass). You can still see the original lead gasket around the outside groove, the original crown is a tight fit and the new crystal I fitted is tighter than a gnat's naughty parts. It still keeps some water resistance. Minus the movement I've dropped it into the sink with 5 inches of water in it and it didn't leak. I'd not swim with it but...

534030.jpg

One of my fave watches actually. Lovely balanced gilt dial. Small by today's standards, but that means you don't notice you're wearing it. 12 hours after the new mainspring it's running like a steam train and bang on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Lovely doxa you have there wibbs, great that you have the skills to keep them running. I have a doxa sub in orange, the new reissues. I also believe there's someone in the parish on the hunt for one. Your longines ultronic diver is still my fave.

Some quite interesting freebies are available over on Reddit at the mo ;)
    I spied a Sanyo amongst that lot, never knew they made watches tbh.
    That said the Japs do tend to diversify.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/k0jfoo/wts_free_watches_you_pay_shipping/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

Hopefully this works!

Recently acquired vintage ladies Longines. I also have a ladies Longines from the 1940s that needs to be serviced that I'll post later.

Jyec6Dd.jpg

zKBRsS3.jpg

JaIsFUL.jpg

coBmeeB.jpg

I have very petite wrists.

It's lovely to see something from the smaller and more feminine side of horology.
    Lovely watch and enjoy it.

Decided to give the old SKX009 a bit of a new look, taking advantage of the sale on the Miltat Super Engineer II bracelet.

Ceramic pepsi bezel from China arrived today.

So, time to pop off the old one..
    A9kIa2.jpg

Then on with the bracelet and the new bezel, easy.
    iEit3y.jpg

The SE II was almost half price and the bezel was about 25 yoyos delivered.

Watched a couple of online videos and everything went very smoothly. I used glue instead of double sided tape, just the usual EVOstick type stuff.
    The fit is good and overall quality is nice. Alignment wasn't a problem, as the glue remained tacky for a while so it could be easily lined up.

It's like having a new watch. The SE II is huge! It is very high quality with a brushed finish on the main faces and polished on the edges. It is very eye catching and almost dominates the SKX, which is saying something.
    The fit is tight and it came with jumbo spring bars too.

I've always liked the face hands and crystal of the SKX but thought the bezel looked a bit underwhelming in comparison.

This just lifts it a bit and the sheen on it is quite attractive. The indices are quite high contrast and the lume is nice. The lume pip stands quite proud.

Quite happy with the whole effect.

Have been wearing a titanium watch and bracelet for the last week or so and this combination, though comfortable, feels like a manacle on my wrist!

• Advertisement

@mioniqa: That is a beautiful piece. A design classic.

It is a very well proportioned combination.

Very nice.

Advertisement