Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,195 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my brother in law likes these too, like your kids I have no idea why 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I've always found Rolex design language staid, but it became that way for a reason. It worked. The Explorer being the daddy, most of the rest a variation on that extremely solid theme. The Sub, originally the Explorer with a bezel, is clearly a Stone Cold Classic. But when Rolex move even slightly out of their design wheelhouse the results are mixed, if not a bit ugh. The YM to my eyes anyway is firmly in that category.

I suppose if you actually go yachting? Then again I'm wearing a trench watch today and wasn't at Verdun,

so I suppose for us watch nerds that ship, or yacht, has long sailed. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭H_Lime

That watch design and layout was and is the basis for many to come because the fundaments are all there, it worked and form followed function.

If I were to buy a rolex it would be as simple and elegant as possible without overcomplication. They were afterall work horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@C0N0R - I dunno what the retail is on the bluesy, in my head I have a figure of around €14k, but I guess check Rolex.com, it will be there. Edit - yeah €14,900

@Cyrus - LOL, yeah the overwhelming majority of even Rolex enthusiasts don't like it, I've many times seen it called a "clown watch" on watch forums. I guess in Rolex terms it is the complete opposite of a base black submariner. It is big, it is loud, it is colourful, it has interesting complications. What the watches have in common though is that they are sturdy watches with excellent bracelets

Also tried on an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak offshore - a grey chrono. A watch that in size and butchness really suits me, I like the style too. It sure is a step up in ways from the likes of Rolex and the bracelet is a thing of beauty. Surprised that it felt nearly as tall and about as heavy as my James Cameron. Beautiful watch, but the dial is nearly illegible (I know we don't wear watches to tell the time - but really! 😂), without having to take reading glasses out which I don't need for anything (yet) except read the menu in a dimly lit restaurant at night when it is in particularly small font or not in black and white 😂

The bracelet, beautiful as it is, tapers too much on the inside for my liking and it has zero quick adjustments, which basically doesn't suit me as my watch can easily go up or down in size by 5mm within the one day and a lot more in the seasons. I do very much like the AP ROO divers, but they don't come on a bracelet. A was tempted earlier this year by the boutique only Scuba version, of which there was one for sale on chrono24 where the owner had had a bracelet fitted. Some watch that was. Then I saw the asking price go up by about €1000 per week until it was sold. I didn't want to be in that madness and that's where my ambition to own one ended...

Those were exactly my thoughts before I bought my first Rolex. I also wanted an understated watch. I bought the Rolex Explorer 214270

Simple three hander, who needs a date that you would have to manually change nearly every month anyway? Super sturdy and you don't need a submariner with one of those silly diving bezels, that takes away from the dial thus from the watch, if you don't go diving, right?

And 5 years before that I could not have imagined I'd ever even own a Rolex - they were for new money showoffs. So not for me.

Yet here I am now, several Rolex later and I am getting into the blingier ones. It's mad, but at the same time I'm glad that my opinions / tastes change (some say evolve) over time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

It has been a little while, but I thought I'd give this a spin for the day.

Unkel, for me, the pictured 214270 embodies what I would want from the brand. It's timeless, stylish and understated cool. The others you posted are garish in comparison imo.

For a long time I had set in stone no case size above 38mm yet today I'm happily wearing a king tuna, so I get that taste and appreciation can change.

Anyway, no one else's opinion matters one jot if your happy with what's on your wrist.

Don't have one, something I've being meaning to rectify for ages, which rendition would you recommend?

I'd love to see you one day buy that Explorer and then I'd love to see what Rolex you will own 10 years after that. I bet not the same one 😁

My current one is this. Have it exactly 2 years now, great watch, but a bit bored with it, want a change and I can't afford to keep it if I want another Rolex or anything else costing that sort of money!

• Advertisement

i had a ROO diver on rubber for a bit, lovely watch but too big for me, rubber works better i think because of the limitations of the bracelet that you have already pointed out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭micks_address

i was very close to buying an explorer mark 2 39mm last year but ended up getting the steinhart 'adverturer' instead when it came out.. i love the look of the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know. Taste is a very personal thing of course and please don't take offence but to me that just looks horrendous. Like something I paid €90 on Ali for.

You're not the only one saying something like that and no, absolutely no offence taken 😁

Perhaps in my old age I want to do wear something a bit different. I'd wear a rainbow Daytona if I could afford one and they weren't so small 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know we don't wear watches to tell the time

I realise it's often said in amusement Unk, but how true is it? I certainly do wear a watch to tell the time. Even when sat in front of a computer screen I look to my wrist for the time. A few years back my car's clock went on the blink from a loose connection and it was a friend that had to point it out to me and that's in my direct sightline. Now granted I got into "old watches" as a kid because the digitals that were The Thing back then I just couldn't get on with. Still can't. I think I've worn my dad's late 70s Seiko calculator watch once this year and only for a morning. For some reason with digital time I require my third braincell to fire to read it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh I do look at my watch for the time alright rather than take my phone out of my pocket. But in case of a scheduled meeting or appointment I wouldn't trust the watch and use the phone instead. Even with a COSC certified watch that performs to about 1-2s deviation per day. I guess it would be fine if you make a habit of setting your watch to the exact time at least once a week, but I don't.

I wouldn't wear a watch if it didn't tell the time. I suppose it is the only justification for me as a man to wear a bit of jewelry 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm of a similar vein Wibbs, I always find it funny when people say they don't wear their watches to tell the time. As someone mildly obsessed with timekeeping, it's an absolute necessity for me to have an accurately-reading watch on my wrist. On the very rare occasion where I may forget to put a watch on (last time I think was 5/6 years ago), I get the same feeling as driving a car with no seatbelt. Weird and uncomfortable.

Yeah yours was class. Although I'd prefer a bit of colour over just black. And the colours on them aren't great either. If they were and one would totally have wowed me, I'd probably have it now. The rubber - I don't know. It just makes a watch look and feel cheap to me. I've tried on many high end watches on rubber including a Patek Philippe Aquanaut and they just don't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I wouldn't pretend to be knowledgeable enough to make a recommendation. But what I would recommend is throwing the strap away the minute it arrives!

Undoubtedly the worst I have experienced.

Roger, will have a deep dive (geddit :)) on which one to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Did you ask the price in Dawsons?Any price Ive had from them has always been miles above market price never mind retail price

• Advertisement

No I didn't even ask for the price. Walked in just on the off chance they'd have one that I could try on 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

A brief pitstop before venturing in to some final Christmas shopping

Ah good to see my second Rolex. Looks better on you than on me! My first Rolex with a bit of bling / a bit of a difference. It must have given me the taste for more 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

And many thanks for selling me your second Rolex.

It's made me realise this is bling enough for me 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wearing my Father's old watch today (He loved Christmas)

Avia, probably bought in a jewellers shop in late 70s. It was running slow, I took the back off. Said a few prayers to a number of God's. (At my age tis best to keep options open) and blow me down with a feather she's now running grand.

I can't figure out how to change the day but heyho.

Beautiful and meaningful piece being your father's.

Perhaps the day might be changed by rotating the crown in the opposite direction you used when setting the date?

And that’s what it’s all about .Enjoy the Xmas memories from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

Under retail bluesy on adverts. Older 5 digit version.

Lovely elegant watch, looks great on the seller, but these wear very small and the bracelet is a huge let down on them. Price is also extremely strong at over €11k. They are worth maybe €8-9k in a private sale imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭This is it

If I was ever lucky enough to buy a Rolex, this would be it. Beautiful piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My trusty SMP

That's a super picture @eljono

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

Wouldn’t be for me anyway. I don’t live in a house that can be towed (I do holiday in one!).

I thought you were from Limerick? Maybe your family has settled? 🤣

Unkel & 893bet, let's dial right back on the so called "jokes" please.

World of difference between that old model on adverts and a new model 41mm bluesy.Older subs don’t have that silky smooth perfection on the wrist that the new models do.

Couldn't agree more @scwazrh . Hard to beat the elegance of the pre ceramic sub though but Rolex have done well with the new model. Also wears so much bigger despite on paper being just 1mm bigger in diameter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thank you for that. I tried that Harry but to no avail. I have a hazy distant memory that it stopped changing days when he had it.

Thanks for your kind words Scwazrh. Memories are to be treasured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What’s a bluesy

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

I prefer the pre ceramic Subs(& much prefer the very early ones. MilSub being top of the totem for me). More elegant as you say. Though the newer Subs & Rolex overall have far better bracelets. Best there are IMHO. And far better finishing and movements. And if you prefer a beefier watch the only choice is a new one.

Funny enough last week I spotted a Sub in the wild for the first time in ages. Actually the first interesting watch in the wild in a goodly while. A chap who runs my local hardware shop where I'd pop in from time to time. I thought feck it, for a change I'll ask him about it. Nice guy. He's had it ages, got it as a present and just recently got in back from a service which he did say wasn't cheap. I was like you don't say... 😁 We had a chat and he's not a watch nerd so he has been surprised how mad popular the whole watch thing had become of late and how valuable they can be now. He sees it as "his watch". Proper order. Noted how reliable it's been* It looked in great nick.

*not a shock. After the end times among the few things left working will be Keith Richards, 90's Toyotas, Seiko Divers and Rolex Subs.

@Wibbs - "*not a shock. After the end times among the few things left working will be Keith Richards, 90's Toyotas, Seiko Divers and Rolex Subs."

LOLOL! Back in the middle of the cold war we were told the only living things that would survive a nuclear war were cockroaches and scorpions. I guess they should have included Keith Richards in that list 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Tried these two on last night, which would you choose? For me it’s the no date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Agree.

It looks cleaner without the date.

I can't see the date on my Stein even with my glasses on!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like a date on a watch, it's the one complication I actually use. But the sub looks so much better without the cyclops I'd get the no date

• Advertisement

im the same, i think it looks better without a date but i miss a date when im wearing a watch without one....

Agree with you that without the date it definitely looks better.My first one was a sub and the one I have now and will be keeping is the sub date . Whenever I wear a watch without a date I realise how many times I go to my wrist to check the date .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Depending on your point of view its either the shorthand name for the 126613LB submariner or a stupid name used by fools who have somehow found 15k to spend on a watch and are willing to go on AD lists. My opinion is its the shorthand for the two tone blue sub cause reference numbers are for bores.

I have issues with the colourway for the blusey, the ceramic one is very saturated in colour and it give a bit of an egyptian souvenir vibe. I prefer the colour of the preceramic. but as above the new ones are superior in form and function.

+1. The cyclops always looks like a bit of a gimmick to my eyes. I've seen a few owners on forums who've removed the cyclops. Looks much cleaner, though then it shows how tiny the date window is. Why they don't just make the date and window larger in the first place. The space for it is there and it would be about the same size as the cyclops magnification anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm leaning towards the no-date purely for the convenience and the better balanced dial. Both are classics and you won't go wrong with either TBF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement