Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh I wish it could be SixMas every day. Oh wait it is! Ireland vs Italy

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    You predicted a scoreline of 60 points and there were only 59.

You're a sham, man!

I predicted 55

Taxi for Buer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I predicted 55

Taxi for Buer!!!

I thought you said 35-25! The shame of it all.

In that case, brutal prediction. You deserve all the abuse you get!

Stats updated from yesterday. Connors with 19 tackles topping the charts. He had a really tidy game and was great to see him show a couple of nice touches with the ball including a quick tip on to Beirne in open play. If he can improve his line out play, he could really cement that spot.

My favourite moment was him being the shooter at the back of an Italian line out, taking them down 10m behind the gain line and then, in the next phase, he was the one making the tackle again, once more well behind the gain line. VDF is going to find it hard to get back into that jersey if he stands up to the French back row next week.

The French offloading game will be a totally different kettle of fish though. Chop tackling only does so much against that.

Some hugely impressive stats from Keenan and Stander also yesterday. Just extremely well rounded performances both sides of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭leakyboots

OldRio wrote: »
    'Didn't notice Doris'?

No. Just no.

He had two moments that I remember, the rip before the try and a good run towards the end. The back row all played well but I didn't notice him compared to the other two. Will Connors looked unplayable and I'd start him in France based on that.

I think you're missing my point slightly. I wouldn't start Doris *away in Paris* based on what he did yday. If it was another home match against lesser opposition like Scotland or in the upcoming tournament yeah go for your life. Paris away is a different kettle of fish. I think POM would be the better pick for that game.

But if you and others think he did enough yday then fair enough, I hope he makes me my words next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

leakyboots wrote: »
    He had two moments that I remember, the rip before the try and a good run towards the end. The back row all played well but I didn't notice him compared to the other two. Will Connors looked unplayable and I'd start him in France based on that.

I think you're missing my point slightly. I wouldn't start Doris *away in Paris* based on what he did yday. If it was another home match against lesser opposition like Scotland or in the upcoming tournament yeah go for your life. Paris away is a different kettle of fish. I think POM would be the better pick for that game.

But if you and others think he did enough yday then fair enough, I hope he makes me my words next weekend
    Does the home advantage actually matter that much when it’s played behind closed doors though?

It’s good that we’re the last match on Saturday. We’ll both know what the target is. France need a TBP no matter what, and most likely so will we, but if England put up a massive score on Italy it might put the championship out of realistic grasp of the French so they might be demotivated going into the game.

France are 2 points behind England on PD now, so their roadmap to the championship is totally dependent on England sh1ttimg the bed and leaving something for France to chase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Do you have an actual reason for this beyond he's played in a match like this before? It can't possibly be based on how him and Doris are actually playing, Doris has been lightyears ahead this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Do you have an actual reason for this beyond he's played in a match like this before? It can't possibly be based on how him and Doris are actually playing, Doris has been lightyears ahead this season.

Lineout, leadership, experience.

But hey, if Doris can go to Paris and put in a performance from the start to help us over the line then more power to him. It'll be a big step forward for him to go to a place like that against a French team like that with these kind of stakes.

Personally, I doubt Farrell will pick him to start but maybe he liked the shape of the back row enough. Italy were a poor enough yardstick for me to fully gauge it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Watched it this morning.

Doris is a freak....so powerful and seriously quick for a forward. Haven't seen POM put in a performance like that in years. Has to have the 6 shirt going forward.

Connors I haven't really noticed before and kudos to him...machine like consistency...tackle after tackle...unreal.

One little thing I noticed was we had a great bit of play with a couple of off loads and nice quick passing. The ball ended up with CJ near the touchline and even though he had support on the inside he went for contact. To be fair he had a great game but it would have been nice to see him pass it!!

Stockdale was fairly good at 15...dropped ball aside, it was nice to see our FB actually head for open ground on the counter. Years of watching Rob head straight for traffic made this a nice change yesterday.

It was Italy and we have to be mindful of that. I'd be confident that the Leinster team on Friday night would more than likely have beaten them yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Stander passed the ball six times, more than any other forward. The same as Doris and Connors combined. The same as Beirne and Ryan combined.

rayd3 wrote: »
    Stander passed the ball six times, more than any other forward. The same as Doris and Connors combined. The same as Beirne and Ryan combined.

Not having a go but in move where we were throwing the ball around and making it stick CJ just bulled at the player in front of him. Again to be fair he had a great game yesterday and in general never seems to play particularly badly. It just would have been great for him to look up and keep the move alive.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not having a go but in move where we were throwing the ball around and making it stick CJ just bulled at the player in front of him. Again to be fair he had a great game yesterday and in general never seems to play particularly badly. It just would have been great for him to look up and keep the move alive.

Choice between a pretty speculative offload into a tight window or Stander running at an outside back. Think he’s got as much chance if not more of running straight through the full back as getting the offload to Bundee and then onto Keenan.

Choice between a pretty speculative offload into a tight window or Stander running at an outside back. Think he’s got as much chance if not more of running straight through the full back as getting the offload to Bundee and then onto Keenan.

Wasn't an off load but more a pass to a team mate on his inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Buer wrote: »
    Stats updated from yesterday. Connors with 19 tackles topping the charts. He had a really tidy game and was great to see him show a couple of nice touches with the ball including a quick tip on to Beirne in open play. If he can improve his line out play, he could really cement that spot.

My favourite moment was him being the shooter at the back of an Italian line out, taking them down 10m behind the gain line and then, in the next phase, he was the one making the tackle again, once more well behind the gain line. VDF is going to find it hard to get back into that jersey if he stands up to the French back row next week.

The French offloading game will be a totally different kettle of fish though. Chop tackling only does so much against that.

Some hugely impressive stats from Keenan and Stander also yesterday. Just extremely well rounded performances both sides of the ball.

Will be interesting to see how effective Connors is against the French alright, what I do think will stand to him is his linespeed. He hits guys so far behind the gainline that there's nobody to offload to, there was an incident yesterday that illustrated this where an Italian player ended up offloading the ball forward because Connors tackled him so deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But hey, if Doris can go to Paris and put in a performance from the start to help us over the line then more power to him. It'll be a big step forward for him to go to a place like that against a French team like that with these kind of stakes.

Well we won't find out unless he is picked.

Experience lineout leadership is not a strong enough argument IMO when Doris is currently offering far more on both sides of the ball outside of the Lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Personally, I doubt Farrell will pick him to start but maybe he liked the shape of the back row enough. Italy were a poor enough yardstick for me to fully gauge it

A lot of intangibles there. What's the point in blooding an excellent young player like Doris who's passing every examination only to take him out of the big games. Irregardless of how Doris plays next week it'll have been there right decision to select him. Sounds like you might be waiting in the long grass for him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

I love POM. Think he was an exceptional player for Ireland but I will be very disappointed if he is selected against France next week. He has not shown enough since 2018 to be selected in the starting lineup. Against the top teams he has struggled. The lineout argument doesn't really hold water, all of the backrow can jump and Doris/Deegan I think it was mentioned they are doing serious practise in off season.

Experience? well we have Murray/Sexton/Healy/Stander etc etc on the pitch. We do not lack experience or leadership. Ireland needs to move forward, unfortunately for POM him big chance was v England earlier this year and it ended up in an all too similar story. After that game it was clear the backrow had to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Watched both matches yesterday. Think Ireland have the best scrum half in the 6 nations. Pity she is playing for the women's team. Fast accurate service. The mens team seems stuck with Murray kicking possession away and delivering the ball only after he has had his lunch on every other occasion.

Seriously look at the Lady's team scrum half nest time they play

Truthvader wrote: »
    Watched both matches yesterday. Think Ireland have the best scrum half in the 6 nations. Pity she is playing for the women's team. Fast accurate service. The mens team seems stuck with Murray kicking possession away and delivering the ball only after he has had his lunch on every other occasion.

Seriously look at the Lady's team scrum half nest time they play

You might want to check Murray's kicking stats for yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He didn't kick once in the first half. It was great

Truthvader wrote: »
    Watched both matches yesterday.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wasn't an off load but more a pass to a team mate on his inside.

If its the run down the left wing in the second half you're talking about, then the pass wasn't on. There was a chasing Italian player inside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I've been a big critic of Murray over the last couple of years but in fairness, he wasn't crap yesterday. He wasn't good but he wasn't a hindrance to the team the way he has been recently for both Ireland and Munster.

Apart from the offload, which was fantastic, did POM actually do anything else in the match? I'd have to watch it back but I genuinely don't remember any other contribution.

I thought all the new guys did well and showed they deserved to be there. Hope they stick with them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

You might want to check Murray's kicking stats for yesterday.

yep aware he was not as bad as usual re kicking it away but the service is very very slow.

Any check out the girl on the Womans team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I've been a big critic of Murray over the last couple of years but in fairness, he wasn't crap yesterday. He wasn't good but he wasn't a hindrance to the team the way he has been recently for both Ireland and Munster.

Apart from the offload, which was fantastic, did POM actually do anything else in the match? I'd have to watch it back but I genuinely don't remember any other contribution.

I thought all the new guys did well and showed they deserved to be there. Hope they stick with them next week.

He did not

Good to see Sexton’s terrible intercepted pass and Cian Healy’s non-performance getting great discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Good to see Sexton’s terrible intercepted pass and Cian Healy’s non-performance getting great discussion.

Interceptions happen.

Who should replace Healy?

Ah jaysus are we going to pick every single mistake that every player made yesterday?

What about Stockdale dropping that kick?

What about Murray's shít box kick which went nowhere?

What about POM dropping the last kick off which led to the Italian try?

What about the missed tackles, the knock ons, sexton's missed conversion, Beirne getting driven back by the Italian forwards?

A decent enough performance and you're looking for a snipe at 2 Leinster players faults. Leave it man and enjoy the fact that the 6N is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Interceptions happen.

Who should replace Healy?

In fairness, you've just proven his point.

Ah jaysus are we going to pick every single mistake that every player made yesterday?

What about Stockdale dropping that kick?

What about Murray's shít box kick which went nowhere?

What about POM dropping the last kick off which led to the Italian try?

What about the missed tackles, the knock ons, sexton's missed conversion, Beirne getting driven back by the Italian forwards?

A decent enough performance and you're looking for a snipe at 2 Leinster players faults. Leave it man and enjoy the fact that the 6N is back.

Pages upon pages about Conor Murray (who played well) and Peter O’Mahony (who played for 15 minutes) is preferable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

I thought Healy played well.

The interception was very poor but it's a risk of trying to play a wider game. Thought Sexton’s game had bigger issues tbh.

Advertisement