Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery Season 3 episode 2- That Hope is You, Part 2

Options
  • 21-10-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Just getting it out there early. Am hoping this 2nd part is better than the 1st part.
    Looking forward go it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably we will catch up with Discovery's perspective post wormhole. Seems like the natural course for the story to take.

It's a broader question about the eventual season but I wonder if we'll meet the reduced Federation. I had expected it to be dead altogether but sounds like there are still ships (albeit a mere two in the sector we visited in Part 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭corkie

Not the correct title for the episode.

Some guides have it labeled
    "Far from Home (2)"

Spoiler links: -

https://thetvdb.com/series/star-trek-discovery/episodes/7995101
    https://trakt.tv/shows/star-trek-discovery/seasons/3/episodes/2

Looks like I guessed what would happen in the episode here: -
    corkie wrote: »

It will probably take a few episodes for 'world' (/timeline) building of the show.
    Having the ship not in the episode, when we know it is going to arrive eventually? Probably episode 2, will feature the ships journey?
    ^^^ Cross Thread quote.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

What day do the episodes drop?

mikhail wrote: »
    What day do the episodes drop?

Thursday US ~ CBS All Access
    Friday EU ~ Netflix

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭liamtech

Pretty boring episode if im honest

Im thoroughly underwhelmed by discovery since the the later half of Season 2. I just cannot embrace the concept this season, so far anyway

'All of the dilithium exploded' - yea.. right

This is off topic but in all honesty, i have not felt this underwhelmed about a trek series since Enterprise season 2, when i suspected it would be cancelled. There are plenty of trek haters out there of course, but i dont count myself among their number..

That said when i compare this to Picard, it falls far short.

It is just not an enjoyable season so far, and its incredibly predictable

-Did anyone doubt that Superwomen/Michael would show up and save the day
    - Did anyone doubt that Georgiou would save the day
    - The tension is artificial (of course she wasnt going to kill the bad guy, etc etc
    - As for the mystery surrounding 'Detmer' in this episode - i dont care, i just literally cannot care.
    - The only good thing about this episode was the lack of Michael

Yea again its not a general hatred of discovery, I loved season 1 (especially the mirror arc) - and season 2 had some wonderful episodes. But the general plot is just uninteresting. What limited knowledge we have of the 30th Century + Alpha Quadrant makes it unbelievable that an organization like the federation could be literally wiped out

Also, and more practically
    Discovery should have been destroyed when it crashed - compare to Voyager in timeless (half the decks compressed) - and a ship 100+ years older, suffers some blown fuses, and a few casualties, and concussions???????

I will keep watching and hope for a breakthrough episode that really kicks this off - but i have the feeling discovery's days are numbered as a TV show

Picard, Strange New Worlds, these are hopefully the future of trek

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

liamtech wrote: »
    Pretty boring episode if im honest

Im thoroughly underwhelmed by discovery since the the later half of Season 2. I just cannot embrace the concept this season, so far anyway

'All of the dilithium exploded' - yea.. right

This is off topic but in all honesty, i have not felt this underwhelmed about a trek series since Enterprise season 2, when i suspected it would be cancelled. There are plenty of trek haters out there of course, but i dont count myself among their number..

That said when i compare this to Picard, it falls far short.

It is just not an enjoyable season so far, and its incredibly predictable

- The tension is artificial (of course she wasnt going to kill the bad guy, etc etc
    - As for the mystery surrounding 'Detmer' in this episode - i dont care, i just literally cannot care.

Yea again its not a general hatred of discovery, I loved season 1 (especially the mirror arc) - and season 2 had some wonderful episodes. But the general plot is just uninteresting. What limited knowledge we have of the 30th Century + Alpha Quadrant makes it unbelievable that an organization like the federation could be literally wiped out

Also, and more practically
    Discovery should have been destroyed when it crashed - compare to Voyager in timeless (half the decks compressed) - and a ship 100+ years older, suffers some blown fuses, and a few casualties, and concussions???????

I will keep watching and hope for a breakthrough episode that really kicks this off - but i have the feeling discovery's days are numbered as a TV show

Picard, Strange New Worlds, these are hopefully the future of trek

I dunno, I think you might be being a small bit harsh, I'm actually more interested in this season than I was in the previous two. I'm treating the first two episodes as the soft reboot they were intended, and I think it won't be until episode three or four where they actually begin to explore the new universe that they find themselves in. I don't think it should be approached from the perspective that the federation was wiped out, but that the burn hastened the decline of a power on the wane. It's not a particularly large leap. The burn was approximately 140 years before the episodes we are watching, and most large powers do devolve into a gradual decline. We also don't know where in the galaxy they found themselves. They could be on the far edges of what was Federation space, and perhaps some of the core worlds have kept some semblance of the Federation alive
    based on the preview I think we'll find out next week, since it seems like they're at Earth and find starfleet
    As for discovery crashing, maybe, but they did do the hand waving 'employ graviton beams' thing, and when Voyager crashed it was coming out of slipstream and at an incredible speed. Discovery was at impulse velocities and they did have some time for manoevering the ship to take some of the damage

I hope it's not numbered as a show. Enterprise got cancelled as soon as it began to turn itself around and there was the potential for a couple of great seasons after. I think Discovery is doing a decent job of reorientating itself, and a better one than Enterprise did. I suppose the next 11 episodes will be telling!

As others have said, found this episode dragged out and I was bored by it.

Jake Weber ~ Zareh is only billed for one episode, so we won't be seeing him again?
    MV5BMTk3NTM4NTE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc1NzY1._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Hopefully the season proper can get going from next week on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It occurred to me at the end of the episode that the events of it were ultimately irrelevant. The world building of the inhabitants of that frozen world simply don't matter once Burnham shows up. It doesn't play into the larger story at all. The entire episode boils down to nothing but filler in the end.

At least we got to see some of the secondary characters for once. And it almost seems like we close to some kind of character arc for Detmer, but then it just goes nowhere.

I had hoped for better balanced and more cohesive story telling after the writers shakeup, but it doesn't appear to be manifesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I enjoyed that actually! Much better than last week.

Spear wrote: »
    It occurred to me at the end of the episode that the events of it were ultimately irrelevant. The world building of the inhabitants of that frozen world simply don't matter once Burnham shows up. It doesn't play into the larger story at all. The entire episode boils down to nothing but filler in the end.

Isn't more stand-alone stories what we want though? Some thread running through the season, but really an episode that starts and ends within the 50 minutes is a big plus in my book.

New worlds, new civilizations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Goodshape wrote: »
    Isn't more stand-alone stories what we want though? Some thread running through the season, but really an episode that starts and ends within the 50 minutes is a big plus in my book.

New worlds, new civilizations.

Discovery doesn't really do standalones though. Strange New Worlds will have that, but Disco had previously always been about the larger arc.

Disco had previously always been about the larger arc.

Yeah but the arc was consistently the worst thing about it. I'm sure there'll be another one this season (already is I guess... *waves hands mysteriously* the BURRRNN *woOOOoOoOOO*).

Who knows, maybe that will become interesting, but if they can weave that arc around some more 45 - 50 minutes adventures, I'll be happier.

Not holding my breath for it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Goodshape wrote: »
    I enjoyed that actually! Much better than last week.

I kind of liked the first episode. But I would agree episode 2 was much better. I liked seeing the crew of Discovery, they're a good crew.
    It was a bit of Star Wars cantina with a good dose of Starfleet from Saru.
    This season has me more excited so far than the previous two did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I rather enjoyed that episode if not just for the absence of Burnham

Anyone notice the blooper about 21 mins?

(just checked Reddit and the roll during the landing is actually a standard re-entry procedure we use now - so that was a cool bit of the plot you may have missed) - actually may just watch the whole crash scene again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Liked that episode. Real old-western feel to it. That ending was a real pick-me-up. I'm wondering at this point if it's a case that they shouldn't use their Warp engines at all. Maybe a revisit to Force of Nature. If all Warp is off the table then that ups the stakes even more for the Discovery spore drive tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I have been fairly critical of Discovery in the past, but I thought that was a decent episode. Enjoyed it more than last week.

Tilly still annoys me, but I am learning to live with that.

I had no issue with Georgiou and her role given who she was in the mirror universe. Thought Saru played his role well, and I hope that Commander Nahn gets some more screen time.

Wouldn't be a Discovery episode without Burnham saving the day, but given the time frame, hopefully the show can kick on from here.

I'm just wondering how long until Saru gets his fourth pip! I think in this episode he came across as one of the great Star Trek captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I'm just wondering how long until Saru gets his fourth pip! I think in this episode he came across as one of the great Star Trek captains.

Whoa...easy there!

He showed why he is captain material, but one of the greats!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That's something I noticed in this episode, at least 6 characters are addressed as "Commander" Saru, Giorgiou, Nahn, Burnham, Reno and Stamets. Now hopefully a few of those are Lieutenant Commanders otherwise we could have a real boring power play dragged out.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Whoa...easy there!

He showed why he is captain material, but one of the greats!?

I'll stand by my leap of faith!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I don't understand the criticism of the episode being standalone. We saw a new world, new characters, and a good story - now we move on. Isn't that what people have been wanting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This deserves a separate post.

Nahn is one of the most unlikeably written characters in Star Trek.

"yum yum"

"Her?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I actually quite enjoyed this one, it's Trek. We experienced a new culture, got a hint at the changes over the last few hundred years. Actually quite enjoyed Saru and Tilly in this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm just watching this episode now so I haven't read the any of the previous posts. And before it does something stupid that might colour my opinion the whole sequence before the titles felt like the a classic well executed bridge scene. Everyone was doing their thing and got a couple of lines as opposed to Burnham having all the answers.

Back to the episode.

Right, one of two things has happened.
    1. Someone spiked my drink with some sort of happy drug
    2. That was a good episode of Star Trek
    It was a proper ensemble everyone doing something nice little interactions and overall mostly good. Stamets and Culber's scene from being woken up to activating the cellular regenerator was a particularly good character interaction.

My only real gripe is Burnham just had to save the day in the end. It would have been much better if they had gotten out on their own and met her in orbit as she was on her way to save the Discovery. Oh, and they really should address Saru as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Evade wrote: »
    My only real gripe is Burnham just had to save the day in the end. It would have been much better if they had gotten out on their own and met her in orbit as she was on her way to save the Discovery. Oh, and they really should address Saru as captain.
    Yeah, but it seems her standards are slipping. She's been there a whole year and she hasn't saved the entire federation.

flazio wrote: »
    That's something I noticed in this episode, at least 6 characters are addressed as "Commander" Saru, Giorgiou, Nahn, Burnham, Reno and Stamets. Now hopefully a few of those are Lieutenant Commanders otherwise we could have a real boring power play dragged out.
    Saru is acting captain so he is in charge and it's not uncommon at all for more than one person on a ship to hold the same rank as the commanding officer. In the US Navy the captain, XO, CAG, and Chief Medical officer on an aircraft carrier would all typically hold the rank of captain. Destroyers' CO and XO are often both (full) commanders too.
    I think that while this particular planet won't show up again it can be considered as a stand in for the general attitudes of people across the former Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoyed this one, it's Trek. We experienced a new culture, got a hint at the changes over the last few hundred years. Actually quite enjoyed Saru and Tilly in this one too.

It’s pretty clear that they are setting up a Saru/Tilly space wedding.

Evade wrote: »
    Right, one of two things has happened.
    1. Someone spiked my drink with some sort of happy drug
    2. That was a good episode of Star Trek
    It was a proper ensemble everyone doing something nice little interactions and overall mostly good. Stamets and Culber's scene from being woken up to activating the cellular regenerator was a particularly good character interaction.

They were going to have to run into her at some stage. Better now than have two completely different stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

liamtech wrote: »

I thought it would be the guy they left in the bar with his new ship
    That was pretty predictable
    She could have but then they would have to decide to neuter Saru or have one of the two die
    PTSD?
    This made a noticeable difference
    Take away warp capability and it becomes very believable, very quickly, reminds me of the Ken MacLeod books. You go to another system and by the time you arrive the entire political spectrum has changed.

I think the script made excuses and the special effects made it look worse than the script indicated

Advertisement