Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age/point did you realise you can't house share anymore?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Think i am in the minority. Love sharing with people. Almost mid thirties and no slowing down for another year or two until i get my own place. At least when i get to the nursing home in years to come i will enjoy it.

I like maybe one or two days on my own to recharge but prefer being around people for sure.

Good point, I had a night recently when both the guys I live with were staying with their GFs and irt felt a bit creepy being in the house on my own

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bad news for ya lads; the nursing home most of us will end up in for a while is just a giant house-share.

Well under 10% of people spend any time in a nursing home in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Third year of college. It all went down hill from there.

had to endure another 7 years sharing with randomers.. alcoholics, people who skipped out, Animals would be cleaner than some of the people i've lived with.

Since I am no longer sharing with randos, shît neighbours are now my issue. Noisy, arguments over parking. Dogs left to be tortured in the winter weather...kids screaming
    A detached house is in my future (i hope) otherwise i may buy a boat or something.

Think i just hate people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Late 20s for me. I just couldn’t face auditioning randomers off DAFT anymore, or have strangers foisted upon me by the landlord, or some flatmate pulling a fast one by moving their mates, relatives, or birds in.

I never particularly wanted to house-share, but you have no choice as a student or graduate up from the country in Dublin. I had my own gorgeous city centre flat when I was on Erasmus and it galled me that it was impossible for me to have a similar set up back in Dublin, even in the late 90s. Why would you want to live with strangers if you don’t have to?

Another poster put it very well about feeling you are tiptoeing around other people when it is your home too. I remember one sharing dynamic where the living room TV was commandeered *every night* by the Czech tenants watching their DVDs. I got someone to run the Sky cable up to my room so I could at least watch the TV service we were paying for. The look I would get if I dared pass through the living room while they were watching their DVDs! There were multiple petty issues to the point where I was spending most of my time in my room. That was the one time I ever escalated to a landlord, and I asked them to leave after four months.

I could count the sane & clean flat mates I have had over those 12 years on one hand. For the sake of, I don’t know, 20 quid per head per week/month, get in a weekly cleaner. Someone always slacks off on cleaning in house shares, and it isn’t worth wasting your breath on them.

I got a decent job (for me at the time) when I was 29-30 that allowed me to rent a 1-bed flat nearer the office. The recession was kicking in and lots of friends were getting married and leaving Dublin, so I was able to save a bit over a few years as I wasn’t socializing or traveling as much. I was willing to trade extra rent, and do other budget cutbacks for a quiet life at home.

I loved that apartment, and I loved living by myself after so many years of head wrecking house-shares. I looked after the place very well to the point where my landlady actually gave me a lovely leaving present when I moved out 6 years later to move into my own place <3

Advertisement