Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age/point did you realise you can't house share anymore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

House shared in various houses and apartment for 11 years. Some good and some not so good!
    When I hit 30 I'd had enough and bought my own house ( 19 years ago, 2 more years and it will finally be mine!|
    Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

28. i.e. this summer. Looking forward to moving into my new apartment at the end of the month.

Really enjoyed living with my current housemates tbh - been here for four years. But it's time for me to move onto living on my own.

Especially with me being WFH for the past six months, and thin walls in my house, I'd say my housemates who work nights and my neighbours next door will be looking forward to being able to get a sleep-in in the mornings.

Also, everyone thinks they're the dream housemate... It takes a lot of self-awareness to know when you're the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

I have been doing different versions of house sharing for years, with flatmates or boyfriends however now I'm at 26, ready to start saving for our own place

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭505_

Great memories from a house share with friends throughout my twenties. The realisation came in my late twenties. Priorities change, different things get on your nerves etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I felt like I was done sharing in my late 20's. Been living with just the other half for a couple years now and I could never go back to that ****e. Filthy housemates with no concept of personal hygiene...

Very glad I wasn't in that situation during lockdown and work from home. Mighta killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

30, was living with a 'friend' who left the room in an absolute state, moved out and let me deal with it. Nice.

Since lockdown I'm back with the parents and it is the best house share I ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My last house share was bleak af! I'm 24 and I was sharing with a random Brazilian couple on Gardiner Street, paying €900 a month!! The apartment was tiny and there were always junkies lurking in our doorway.

Having said that, I long for the day when I can share a place with my friends again. I've been living back home with my family since March and although I love them, I've never felt more isolated. I live in rural Ireland and my mum visits my 89 year old grandad multiple times a week, so I haven't left my house or seen any friends since July. Sorry for spouting TMI, I just don't have anyone else to talk to anymore.. fml

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

I became "independent" three years ago when I was 38. Came to Ireland in 2010 and the only way to save money was to become a housemate. I've met some great and not so great characters on the way but overall it was all ok - you learn a lot, you chat to people so dont feel lonely, you help them and you are helped, you share responsibilities, you celebrate big news and you share their grief too. Ten years on I have saved enough to be able to put 70% deposit on my own place but prefer the freelance life with no mortgage commitment so I rented a studio when our landlord decided to sell the house. I realised that most of Daft ads were saying "we are a great bunch in our 20'- something and look for similar" so i would not have a chance for a house share anymore. It was the time to rent a place just for mtself.

My advice is dont attach a specific age to when you want to feel independent. Some things come naturally, you will know and feel the right time... i would have liked to still share a house, it's just that i have no chance to find one these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I was 35. It just got intolerable.

I would sooner live in a little crappy shoebox of a place on my own than a bigger house sharing.

F##k no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I dont think people who have managed to get a mortgage before the tighter lending restrictions came in realise that it is now practically impossible to get a mortgage as a single person to live in Dublin.

Not only that but to rent a one bed apartment costs about double what a mortgage on it would cost. So if you are renting a one bed for 1600 a month and a mortgage would be 850 , if you approached the bank you'd be told they can't lend to you in case you wouldn't be able to afford the repayments.

With the average house cost at 267 000, and the average amount a single person can borrow is 133,000 a single applicant would need savings of at least 80,000 to buy in Dublin , how could this be saved when some people are spending as much as 60 per cent of their income on rent !

Sorry for the rant but some people saying it's immature to be in houseshares, well not everyone is lucky enough to meet someone they can buddy up with on a mortgage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Eh I got a job during third year of college so I could afford a studio apartment of my own. Those were the days, it was only €400 and it was gorgeous, top floor of a Victorian building overlooking the park. I had some very lovely but very messy and slovenly friends... They could call over and create localised mess, but I knew I wouldn't have to clean up the scale of disaster they create in their own liebensraum.

I shared again immediately when I left college, but with my friends in their 30s and my OH. Two years of that was grand, but then we wanted space of our own.

Tbh I'd have loved the company of housemates who I'm friendly with during this. The students next door to us always sound like they're having the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I house shared from age 20 to 28, I moved around a lot so had a lot of different housemates. Never had any problems, flatmates always either fell into the category where we got on well or we just didn't see much of each other because our schedules were different. I met people through house sharing from various walks of life who I never would have met through my usual social groups which was actually quite nice.

I stopped because it was time for my partner and I to get our own place but if I was single I'd have been happy enough to keep doing it for a few more years at least.

Bought first place at 24.

............ and thin walls in my house, I'd say my housemates who work nights and my neighbours next door will be looking forward to being able to get a sleep-in in the mornings.

Also, everyone thinks they're the dream housemate... It takes a lot of self-awareness to know when you're the problem.

Were you WFH as a builder or what :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

If we're talking about house sharing with strangers/friends rather than family then...when I was in college, which I finished when I was 24. The final year was honestly just horrible. I was living with five other people and some of them had no regard for anyone else's belongings and would regularly take food from the fridge and freezer that wasn't their own. I'm not just talking a slice of bread here and there. There was one week I did my weekly food shop and when I got up the next day there was at least 70% if my food just gone. I never found out who it was, nobody would admit to it.

I did a house share once more after that when I worked abroad in Asia for 6 months and that experience was fine, but once I moved back home living with my mother in 2016 and started working full time I decided never again and started saving to buy a property myself (renting on your own can be quite expensive and I view rent as dead money, personally). Currently sale agreed on an apartment so hopefully in a few months I'll finally have my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

28. I actually liked living in shared houses, it was a great way to meet new people. Especially if you have enough money to choose a larger house with fewer occupants. After a while though, my wife wanted a bit more privacy and opportunities to decorate her own place, so that put a stop to the house sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

not so much an age but when realised myself and partner were most likely going to be together for the long haul, needed to stop house sharing....I was fine with it while single and in early days of our relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

There's a limit to how many times you can clean up after others while feeling like you're bothering them by being at home where you live as well.

The whole setup of the last one was so annoying id never do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bad news for ya lads; the nursing home most of us will end up in for a while is just a giant house-share.

I made it to 32 house sharing in Dublin having started at 18 when I went to college. I just got to the point where my tolerance for the behaviour of others decreased and I decided to go solo.

I remember being away for five weeks travelling towards the end and the two lads I shared with hadn't emptied the bins once during that time and just allowed all the rubbish to pile up in the kitchen. After a while it just gets tiring having to deal with nonsense like that.

Got my own apartment then for three or four years. My wife house shared from 17 to her mid 30s despite being in a good job. The money we both saved from house sharing during those years definitely contributed towards us being able to buy our family home two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

So shared an apartment for 4 years in college and ten went on to work abroad and had to share a room with another colleague of mine. It was in a work accomodation without any cooking utilities etc. So in otal 5.5 years I was sharing. Now I'm married and have a little apartment in Dublin and couldn't be happier to share it with someone I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭theboringfox

31 when moved in with gf who is now my wife. House shared in college and then working in Dublin. Loved it but by time I was 30 I think I had enough of it. Some of my favourite times sharing house with mates in Dublin. I only ever house shared with friends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Depends on so many factors. One of the guys I share with is 36 and he sees the money he’s saving by sharing vs renting his own place is savings for a deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Probably early thirties but like many was forced to continue doing it in order to save for a deposit. I was 37 when I got own rental place and 38 when I bought my own place. Far later in life than I would have liked but when you are living in an urban area with pent up demand for properties the reality is you don’t have much of a choice but to share with others. I think when you are 18, leaving home for college you have this idealised view of what it will be like, like something out of Friends and the reality can be very different. I’ve had positive experiences flatsharing , made some good friends through it but I’ve equally had very negative experiences and met some very strange people, who if you met them on the street you would think were grand, but as the old saying goes if you want to know me come live with me.

My OH works with a guy from Eastern Europe. He and his family share a house with another family from Romania, have done for a couple of years. Obviously it works for them but honestly it must be bloody hard work. You would want to be very tolerant and patient for an arrangement like that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The age I got married at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have a cleaner so that helps but I have lived with people who were not very willing to reach for the Cif and a sponge so in the case it’s more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

100% depends on people you live with in my experience. If everyone is on the same page and respectful, its a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Think i am in the minority. Love sharing with people. Almost mid thirties and no slowing down for another year or two until i get my own place. At least when i get to the nursing home in years to come i will enjoy it.

I like maybe one or two days on my own to recharge but prefer being around people for sure.

Advertisement