Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3 vs Kia eNiro (vs Tesla Model 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

46.5 K with potential for further price reduction if we get the LiFeP04 battery but this is rumour for now but there is a strong possibility Europe will get the LiFeP04 battery which should have a really long life.

LFP is the accepted. TLA, isn’t it well believed that Tesla are just going to pocket the difference.

Lumen wrote: »
    Unfortunately this still only works on Tesla Superchargers, not Ionity or ESB 150kW, and there is no manual override.

So, as with Superchargers generally, the value depends on whether there happen to be any on your routes. In my case, going around the south east of the country, there are not really, apart from the odd trip to Cashel. The routes between Dublin, Wexford, Carlow, Waterford, and Kilkenny have none.

I'm not sure about this, Bjorn has a video clearly showing the stators heating the battery while the car was on but stationary and I don't think he inputted any super charger.

I'll see if I can dig it up later.

ted1 wrote: »
    LFP is the accepted. TLA, isn’t it well believed that Tesla are just going to pocket the difference.

I'm not sure about that, he just cut the cost of the model S something like 4,000 USD not sure if that will be the case outside the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm not sure about this, Bjorn has a video clearly showing the stators heating the battery while the car was on but stationary and I don't think he inputted any super charger.

I'll see if I can dig it up later.
    If you navigate to the supercharger it does this. You can also navigate to a 3rd party charger via the charging section of the map and it does it

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you navigate to the supercharger it does this. You can also navigate to a 3rd party charger via the charging section of the map and it does it

The M3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm not sure about that, he just cut the cost of the model S something like 4,000 USD not sure if that will be the case outside the U.S.

In response to Lucid. As stated on his tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1316454051693895680?lang=en

The M3 ?
    Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

jasonc5432 wrote: »
    However, this does mean that it seems to be between the ID.3 and the eNiro. It is a very difficult choice

At that point, it's somewhat down to looks, as to what appeals to you.

You've got a car vs compact suv

But interiors are quite different. So you either like the standard "car" type look and layout in the e-Niro, or the more spaceship cockpit of an ID3

If you could live with either, and if you don't expect to require using fast charging very much, then it seems you're possibly down to range for price. Does the ID3 model you've chosen have the same range of the e-Niro ?

I have an e-Niro and for the "car" interior, I went for it over the Kona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hi would the VW ID3 , have a range of 300km Dublin - Donegal on a full charge all seasons and conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Would you look into buying a second hand model 3 from the UK, probably have an SR+ landed here for 40-42k, very little vrt on them & you'd still have the balance of the tesla 4 year warranty

in terms of the model 3, the OTA software updates are brilliant & i see that there are lots of software issues with the ID3, I think it might take a while for VW to catch up on that front

• Advertisement

jordan191 wrote: »
    Would you look into buying a second hand model 3 from the UK, probably have an SR+ landed here for 40-42k, very little vrt on them & you'd still have the balance of the tesla 4 year warranty

in terms of the model 3, the OTA software updates are brilliant & i see that there are lots of software issues with the ID3, I think it might take a while for VW to catch up on that front
    If you're doing that you['d want to do it before the vrt changes in Jan '21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I've ordered an ID.3 Tour to replace my e-Niro. Delivery Jan/Feb.

Having done extensive test driving on the VW, it's not as efficient as the Kia. I did the same trip in both and the Kia came in at 16.1kWh/100km. In the VW I struggled to get it down into the high 18's. I can live with this as the Tour has 77kWh usable and charges at 125kW. I'm big into efficiency, and nobody does it better than the Koreans.

E-Niro has more storage if you include the 'frunk' storage. Seating space seems about the same, but no possibility of storage under the ID.3 bonnet.

Currently the tech in the VW is poor, but a promise of this being solved early next year with a comprehensive update.

I discounted the Tesla before I bought the e-Niro. I simply don't want a car without a hatchback.

So, stuff I'll miss from the e-Niro.
    The 4 levels of regen at your fingertips, with all regen features available on the steering wheel paddles.
    Storage under the bonnet.
    Ability to carry a spare wheel. I don't think I'll be able to fit it in the VW.

Stuff I'll get in the ID.3.
    Matrix LED headlights.
    Rear wheel drive.
    Bigger battery.
    125kW charging.
    More airy cabin.
    2,000kWh free Ionity charging :P

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I must get a test drive in an Id3 for the crack I drove the e Niro and kona and they were both a bit meh.... Kona was cheap inside and e Niro just plain boring typical eco box neither felt like a car I wanted to spend a lot of time behind the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭jasonc5432

championc wrote: »
    At that point, it's somewhat down to looks, as to what appeals to you.

You've got a car vs compact suv

But interiors are quite different. So you either like the standard "car" type look and layout in the e-Niro, or the more spaceship cockpit of an ID3

If you could live with either, and if you don't expect to require using fast charging very much, then it seems you're possibly down to range for price. Does the ID3 model you've chosen have the same range of the e-Niro ?

I have an e-Niro and for the "car" interior, I went for it over the Kona

Regarding the range, it seems to be the case that the 58kw ID3 is about 40-100km shorter on range capacity (depending on what you read).

dunnerc wrote: »
    Hi would the VW ID3 , have a range of 300km Dublin - Donegal on a full charge all seasons and conditions ?

The official 58kw ID3 range is around 420km. However I have had a few people who seem more informed and knowledgeable than me anyway tell me that 350km might be more realistic. I can't say for sure having not had any chance to properly test both in this way. Maybe some actual ID3 or Eniro owners might tell us what the "real world" range is if you include motorways etc (Not just city driving)?

jordan191 wrote: »

I'm sticking with new only (Not second hand) because I don't have the time for the research etc. So I suppose it makes it a somewhat simpler choice to stick with new only.

The software issues on the ID3 do sound a bit mad considering the nature of them and the fact it's a reputable manufacturer. There is a risk I suppose. One assumes vw will fix the issue but it's a question of if and when. I haven't heard of many problems with the Eniro but it doesn't seem to be flawless either

The official ID3 range is around 420km. However I have had a few people who seem more informed and knowledgeable than me anyway tell me that 350km might be more realistic. I can't say for sure having not had any chance to properly test both in this way. Maybe some actual ID3 or Eniro owners might tell us what the "real world" range is if you include motorways etc (Not just city driving)?

When I charge my e-Niro, I get 475km at present. In the UK, where they have more motorways and dual carriageways, I think you could safely say that you'd absolutely get at least 420km

I've ordered an ID.3 Tour to replace my e-Niro. Delivery Jan/Feb.

Having done extensive test driving on the VW, it's not as efficient as the Kia. I did the same trip in both and the Kia came in at 16.1kWh/100km. In the VW I struggled to get it down into the high 18's. I can live with this as the Tour has 77kWh usable and charges at 125kW. I'm big into efficiency, and nobody does it better than the Koreans.

E-Niro has more storage if you include the 'frunk' storage. Seating space seems about the same, but no possibility of storage under the ID.3 bonnet.

Currently the tech in the VW is poor, but a promise of this being solved early next year with a comprehensive update.

I discounted the Tesla before I bought the e-Niro. I simply don't want a car without a hatchback.

The 4 levels of regen at your fingertips, with all regen features available on the steering wheel paddles.
    Storage under the bonnet.
    Ability to carry a spare wheel. I don't think I'll be able to fit it in the VW.

Stuff I'll get in the ID.3.
    Matrix LED headlights.
    Rear wheel drive.
    Bigger battery.
    125kW charging.
    More airy cabin.
    2,000kWh free Ionity charging :P

Thanks for a very comprehensive post. Wow I didn't think there'd be too many people trading one of the options for another considering how new they both are. Do you have the 2019 eNiro or the 2020 model because isn't the 2020 model meant to be a big improvement?

When you say the ID3 tech is poor can you elaborate?

Are the matrix lights and rear wheel drive really good do you think? I'm no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for a very comprehensive post. Wow I didn't think there'd be too many people trading one of the options for another considering how new they both are. Do you have the 2019 eNiro or the 2020 model because isn't the 2020 model meant to be a big improvement?

When you say the ID3 tech is poor can you elaborate?

Are the matrix lights and rear wheel drive really good do you think? I'm no expert

ID3 is on buggy software at the moment. There is meant to be a big update in January.

When I charge my e-Niro, I get 475km at present. In the UK, where they have more motorways and dual carriageways, I think you could safely say that you'd absolutely get at least 420km

475 is incredible!

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    ID3 is on buggy software at the moment. There is meant to be a big update in January.

Will the software update just fix things or will it add new stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Prolly more bug fixes at this stage, but eventually both!

How bad/good are current owners finding the infotainment?
    The map seems laggy/slow, but the rest seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's meant to do both I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

jusmeig wrote: »
    Prolly more bug fixes at this stage, but eventually both!

How bad/good are current owners finding the infotainment?
    The map seems laggy/slow, but the rest seemed ok.

It's extremely slow and unresponsive when you start the car but after a couple of minutes it's absolutely fine.

I'm really hoping the update fixes that. Otherwise I'm happy enough.

475 is incredible!

This was in August I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Only one of these 3 cars will make you smile every time you get in...............M3

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This was in August I think

Wow that's really good. Hard to believe it gets above the advertised range

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Personally I think VW’s implementation of “smart regeneration” is way better than regen paddles.

Not only does the ID.3 auto adjust the regen based on radar input, it also auto adjust based on turns ahead on the road. It tries to coast as much as possible which is the most efficient way to drive but then it auto ramps up/down the regen as required... imo, that’s much nicer driving experience than setting a hard regen level.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

KCross wrote: »
    Personally I think VW’s implementation of “smart regeneration” is way better than regen paddles.

Not only does the ID.3 auto adjust the regen based on radar input, it also auto adjust based on turns ahead on the road. It tries to coast as much as possible which is the most efficient way to drive but then it auto ramps up/down the regen as required... imo, that’s much nicer driving experience than setting a hard regen level.

Yeah agree. I thought I’d miss 1 pedal driving from the i3 but I think I actually prefer VW’s approach in the ID.3 now, although I was able to coast easily enough in the i3 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

At the moment I’m getting a range (on the GOM) of just under 400km when charging the ID.3 to 90%. [this equates to ~445km from a full charge]

Advertisement