Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Same in camogie...it's who you know…was fair thick earlier this year eldest didn't get a county trial....all she ever wanted was a trial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It goes on in every sport. Our lads play soccer as well as hurling and football, and the coaches/fathers there have their own favourites too.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,198 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In an ideal world a parent wouldn't be coaching the team their kid is on

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jack98

There’s a lot to be said for the commitment needed to play at that level too it will stand to teenagers in their late teens and college life and after throughout life imo. There’s plenty sports out there now if you don’t get on with the gaa, go play soccer and rugby with whatever club you want and find your level, not everyone can be a superstar and if you want to play for just the enjoyment or social aspect play for a team who’s aligned with that, just my two cents I experienced all the above in gaa and soccer through the years and I’m still playing them all.

Then though the intensity involved for county level training etc has alot of lads fecked in their early 20s

• Advertisement

I went away for most of 2022 having played at that level for about 8 years played nothing that year, was absolutely plagued with injuries last year pushing myself to operate at that level and the body wasn’t used to it after the year out. Played a lot of soccer over the winter this year and I’m only now starting to feel like myself again, the training at club level is now up there with county level we have a nutritionist, personal trainer and app to log everything the last 2/3 years it’s gone crazy but you have to buy into it if you want to be part of it nowadays even though I think it’s a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

My concern is while at county level you should have allot of the right people who know what they’re at, some clubs while wanting to fine tune their players could actually be doing more harm. The main thing is give respect

You have to have the right people around a club to be successful and players need to stand up for themselves too, in our gaa club you have 2 sessions for football and 2 for hurling a week if you do running block with hurlers you don’t do it the following night with football and vice versa both trainings always on consecutive days. Two days in gym then as well and you need to be doing gym work specific for sport and not body building type work, that keeps a lot of injuries at bay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭green daries

That's some joke god help us anyone doing that for a club unpaid as a hobby needs there head examined......... won two county titles and played minor for county. i thought it was heavy commitment back then to train three nights a week county asked me not to play for the club one evening and I knew we would be short a team never mind win the gam (there was 5of us on the county minor panel). I went and played for the club got dropped from county as they sent someone to check . But we through to semifinals with two fourteen year old in corner forward 😀 (i won motm and scored the winning goal) the otherfour lads played the last two games and we won the county title. The other four never played past 20 despite being twice as good as myself. My main pointis I still remember that club game vividly I remember loving every second I played with my childhood friends and neighbours. Football is for enjoyment not the carryon it's turned into now

There's a rule here in our house. Each of them has to have 1 full day a week off sports/ training

• Advertisement

There’s very few playing both codes it’s either one or the other and some commit to one and come back to the other then if the year ends early for the code they picked. I wouldn’t give commitment if there wasn’t success there’s plenty other things to be at, I’ve a lot of county titles won with the club underage and adult and won an all ireland with the university and I’m not one bit sorry for the commitment it required. It’s a totally different ball game now the level of fitness and conditioning required to stay successful is night and day to years ago. The soccer is much more like the gaa of years gone by turn up train once a week, play a match on a Sunday and go drinking after it, rugby has the same culture outside the higher AIL teams from what I can see too.

I get your enjoyment point and you’re right to an extent but the way it’s gone now in gaa you either commit to whatever level your senior team plays at or be content with the junior b team if your club has one or don’t play at all. Look at the way inter county football has gone all prime athletes on panels a lot can’t kick a ball even but it’s the old saying coming true ‘hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was deliberating whether to post this or not.

I've four cows tested as tb reactors today. And in my 14 years farming here I've never even had a doubtful. I never remember any reactors in my father's time either.

This winter and spring has been the crappiest one in my time here.

You'd be seriously considering your life choices.. If I was offered an off farm job this minute with good wages I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Most of us take a clear test for granted. Were they big lumps? Sorry to hear that

Cheers.

I was at the far side of the crush and didn't bother looking. Just I heard it's bad news on this one and then the taggers was got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Lots of comments of sons daughters not getting picked for county/club but how many are training the young boys and girls it's all very well to say its who you no but there is a massive difference when you are part of the management than on the sideline or just dropping them to training.

I do both an it's a lot easier to not have your own involed when picking a team or looking to put on subs.

This is it. There are parents who never stay for training or games, or offer lifts or fundraise or help out. I enjoy the chats on the way home about what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's the thing…coaches in clubs are not necessarily there for volunteering....they are there to influence who gets to county trials etc. Out of the five girls picked my young one was miles ahead of two of them and I'm not one of these Dad's who thinks their kids are the greatest thing since a sliced pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Went down with tb years ago with a significant amount of cattle, was like a deer in the headlights for the first week.

Sat down and drew up a plan, the next year i had the healthiest crop of calves, keep the head up, the tide will turn and you will look back and be proud of how you managed the tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I deliberately stay away from my children’s groups- no matter how good they will eventually be, it will alway cause speculation. And it’s not fair on the child or even the team mates- you’d get bitter and for what.

as a child I remember the child’s son getting a game and he not good enough and you would resent it. Only when we both stopped playing you’d see how sound he is and it was his father at fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

you’re a poster that I aways say if you had a TikTok or YouTube. I’d follow. I’d love to have your knowledge in all areas of biochar etc,

it’s a tough blow today and I’m sorry to read it. Dust yourself off and plough on. (Or maybe no till)

Before my memory kicked in. We went down with tb and my dad had at least 9 dependants- sheep were bought, turkeys reared, extra pigs and worked doing anything to keep things going.

This too shall pass, may it be the worst thing that happens to you and I wish you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have being in that position ourselves a good few times in the last number of years and the biggest thing is not to dwell on it and let it get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭50HX

Spot on & some kids are playing too much too young & loose interest then after minor level ( I know there are a multitude of other factors as well)

A few years ago for whatever reason 3 players were sent to the county trials in the girls football, these wouldn't have been the best 3 players by a long shot. Only 1 of their parents were coaches, it raised such a furore they had to send 3 more girls as their parents kicked up such a fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭visatorro

Most of the clubs around me struggling for numbers at underage level. Mine have no interest and are not really that good. I'm trying to keep them going but it's a struggle. Soccer club probably covers 4-5 parishes and has too many going

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - I've heard lads presenting in surgeries in recent years with Hip injuries normally seen in folks 50 plus. My own nephews are currently playing several GAA sports plus soccer etc. and 2 of them are being looked at by LOI clubs. Great but hope burnout etc. doesn't end it all in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭green daries

Really sorry to hear that say ...chin up it's outside the door ....that's all thar matters ....I know its also hard to take when trying to do your best 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sorry to read that. It might sound glib, but as long as it's outside the house it can be dealt with.

You'll get through it. Others have and you will too.

The trouble is I'm informed there's deer been seen basically just outside my farm. So realistically they are now on farm. These were never here before in my or my father's time. I have one water trough to change if it was badgers. But if it's these new arrivals in deer then how do you stop that? You can't.

Years ago everyone had a gun and were hunting every weekend. Now nobody hunts and these criters are moving where they weren't before or weren't for decades/centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Lads playing senior club football nowadays are proper athletes. The effort level has gone through the roof in the last 10 years and its a year round commitment. I'd say they're putting in the same effort if not more than county players in 2000.

• Advertisement

Your local gun club can get permission off the irish park and wildlife to shoot them. We have deer here about 20 years, so they dont do a great job of getting rid of them ;)

Advertisement