Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oops I lied, heifer calved yesterday, unfortunately calf lost an ear when I cropped the photo to make sure that they are the right way up on boards.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

'Calf lost an ear', I flinched, it re-attached as I read on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ground wouldn’t be suitable for a disc mower.

Having gotten 8 acres mulched last year there is no comparison in how grass returns, mulching let’s grass up and rushes rotted down much quicker.

Again maybe silly question but on open areas in a field could you not just travel the ground faster with the mulcher to top and then slower if there was heavy rush to mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Smart meter here this last 6 months,

Asked my neighbour who got it month before that whether I should refuse.

He's not slow, but answered that I should let them change it, as their is enough headaches in this life without debating over a meter, which probably will be mandatory in the future and now I don't have to leave access to the meter man or mess about with estimated billing.

So I let them at it. No annoyance since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The major cyclone topper/mulcher looks a good job, doe s anyone know any thing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thats gas I've opposite experience here, mulcher beats the grass and leaves dense mulch, disc mower just clips the grass and the rushes lie flat and loose like straw.

Rough ground is it? We've more of the flat muddy type.

It'd depend on how heavy a cover too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

what app do you use. We’re with EI but didn’t think we’d access to the info without a smart plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭50HX

Dont like that demo it's a not a true reflection of the tractor speed to horsepower ratio.

He's driving on mulching the grass and a clump of rushes & then he's nearly in a crawler gear for the low furze bush that's not mulched right either.

You need a min of 150hp to drive a decent sized mulcher to cover any reasonable ground.

Ive come across 2 lads that had 6ft munchers on 100hp tractors & got rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Land near me was mulched last summer. Comple waste of time. Fine crop of rushes in it again.

Drain, lime and fertiliser. Works every time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

Don't know if you need to be on a smart plan or not but you could try setting up an account on the ESB Networks website, it gives you data regardless of your supplier.

I'm on a smart plan myself and find it grand. Free electricity on Saturdays, so the washing machine and dryer go most of the day, along with my sons 3d printer and maybe a bit of welding if there's something to be done. We run the dishwasher and immersion if it's needed at night.

Anything that can be automated is set to not run during peak hours like the heating, thermostats are set to go up before and down during so the house won't go cold either.

I think the smart plans will definitely cost more if you ignore the peak usage times but can work well with a bit of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Have a 2.2metre mulcher/verge mower and find it good. Great for bushes,whins, rushes, scutch grass and everything else.

Really asking for bigger HP 120+ in green grass but manageable with 95hp in everything. Forward speed just lowers to compensate .

The Major Cyclone trades proper mulching and lower HP requirement for forward speed. But the finished job is not comparable to a mulcher. And the dirty thing is an awful price.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

Had TB test here Wednesday and I have a 9 week old calf with 2 lumps, a big one on top and a very small one below. Vet coming back tomorrow, you'd wonder where a bucket fed calf would get TB and her never outside yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’m on the website and all I see is total usage & price. I rang them and they told me to know more we’d need to be on a smart plan

Edit - that was about 18 months ago

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is it not the bottom lump that displays bovine Tb? I could be wrong but I seem to recall that the top lump is avian Tb where as the bottom lump is bovine Tb. The phrase "Up for heaven and down for hell" is how I remember it.

Our vet says he’s never ever seen TB in a calf that young, I’ve never checked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've heard tell of calves in a shed testing positive. Don't know the age. But a track was found from the shed. A camera trap erected and it was found to be a badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, Avian TB on top.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had 2 pints in the local pub this evening with my brother. Don’t think we’ve ever just sat there on our own and had a chat/laugh. I’m 47 and he’s 43. There was a few others around the fire drinking and chatting.

Pure bliss.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Thats impressive, how did you leave it at that? You were lucky not to finish up over a bottle of whiskey at 3 in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Too expensive to stay drinking that long in a pub now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had to bring my two girls to dr as they weren’t shaking their cough. Both on antibiotics.

I booked myself in while at it for same reason. Explained symptoms for last fortnight. She was like I must have been bad if this is what I called nearly healed. Bronchitis and tonsillitis (never had either before I think)

Steroids and antibiotics and an offer of a sick cert- I refused that. Will get an I told you so from work.

One of the parents at soccer was telling me that their gaelic team is really struggling for numbers as county players can't play with their club. Knew this was a thing with overage team but is it a new thing at underage? Surely clubs wont be able to maintain team numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭50HX

It in place in a few counties a while

Have a cousin a few years back called into county u16 hurling, they wanted all players logging on an app how long they slept what they ate etc

His parents were against it but left the decision with him, after a few weeks of doin it he left & went back to his club& friends he said there was no fun in it.

It's all about winning at all costs now which is v sad at underage.

In the middle of community games here this week & it's a breath of fresh air to see them having fun

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Same here in Waterford - there’s 3 lads on the minor county football panel and the local juvenile club got a letter from the county board asking them not to play these lads in club games. They didn’t say not to play them but used the phrase “encouraged not to play”.

Most clubs go along with this but a few have apparently been playing some of their county lads so this county board intervention has created an unlevel playing field and plenty stress and uncertainty at club level.

And for what? All to feed the county teams and the GAA’s need to have matches to sell to TV stations, including their own, all year round. The corporatisation continues

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I've always said I hope my young lads are good enough to always make the team for our club but not so good they make county. A few parents in the club and their dream is for the kids to play County, already putting them under way too much pressure.

Then there's the difference between being good enough to play County and actually playing County, everyone to their own but its definitely a bit of a mixed blessing.

A lot of parish pump shite goes on still too, it's pretty small minded for the most part.

• Advertisement

Alot of who you know and who you are too unfortunately. My lad got onto the county panel and then said he didn't want to do it. His choice. There's a lad we give a lift to to another thing and he's on the county panel, he was saying in January he was hoping to get dropped as he has no life. He's still there, there'd be pressure from his parents to stay. He's 15

Advertisement