Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

greysides wrote: »
    The ones off Arklow on the sand bank. Clogga, I suppose, they're the only local ones.

Looking south, Arklow rock, then Tara hill in the background. Got cold quick once the sun set.

535362.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh lord we aren't at the point yet

Neither is Kovu.......:pac:

And now Panch is gone!

I don't know the in's and out of all this.
    But is it really that serious?

People get fed up. From the off, the vegan row reminded me of the drawing about "can't go to bed, there's someone wrong on the internet". It's a pure timesink getting involved with fundamentalists.

Someone used a line once about not being able to be insulted by people they don't respect, I figure it's a solid strategy.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Got a lovely text from my bank today saying I had apparently booked a hotel in Spain. Wanted me to either say yes or no to the transaction. People can f off using my bank card to book sun holidays while I'm freezing my ass off here.

I got a text saying my card had been locked, or however they put, as a transaction had been made to a different country. It's a good safety measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Got a lovely text from my bank today saying I had apparently booked a hotel in Spain. Wanted me to either say yes or no to the transaction. People can f off using my bank card to book sun holidays while I'm freezing my ass off here.

Can you ring them back quick. I was only using it to book a weekend away with the girlfriend. I will definitely pay you back i promise. I have told her we are goin and can't back out now. She will be very disappointed and she gets cross very cross when things dont go her way. Can't use my own or the wife will find out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

jimini0 wrote: »
    Can you ring them back quick. I was only using it to book a weekend away with the girlfriend. I will definitely pay you back i promise. I have told her we are goin and can't back out now. She will be very disappointed and she gets cross very cross when things dont go her way. Can't use my own or the wife will find out

You'd be better divorcing now than putting up with that craic. Loose half the farm now and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

People get fed up. From the off, the vegan row reminded me of the drawing about "can't go to bed, there's someone wrong on the internet". It's a pure timesink getting involved with fundamentalists.

Someone used a line once about not being able to be insulted by people they don't respect, I figure it's a solid strategy.

I'm probably selfish I'll admit it.

But I like to be in places where I can learn from (especially what interests me) and have a laugh at.

That place doesn't tick any of those boxes for me. I know what works for me and where I want to go.
    I'm not interested in educating anyone that I won't get anything back from especially when it goes in one ear and out the other and you're back to square one the very next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was at the sand dunes at Buckrooney, a few miles north of Arklow on the coast road, after Ennereilly.

I actually know those dunes. Nice spot. In your other photo back towards Arklow rock and Tara Hill would have a lot of nice beaches too in Kilpatrick, Kilmichael, Clogga and Saleen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking south, Arklow rock, then Tara hill in the background. Got cold quick once the sun set.
    That pic looks like it's a beach in the Caribbean or some other warm exotic place :)
    You'd never think it was taken in Wexford on a cold December day.

Those same fundamentalists are spouting untruths about Irish farmers - I'm nether a rapist, murderer or a cruel farmer. My, yours and every other livestock farmer is governed by Irish and EU animal and welfare legislation.
    IMO it was vile and despicable that the V&V charter was allowed to be changed thereby insinuating that we (Irish farmers) were operating outside the law. TBH I was surprised that it was allowed to happened as I thought Boards.ie were on the ball when it came to potential legal claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    Those same fundamentalists are spouting untruths about Irish farmers - I'm nether a rapist, murderer or a cruel farmer. My, yours and every other livestock farmer is governed by Irish and EU animal and welfare legislation.
    IMO it was vile and despicable that the V&V charter was allowed to be changed thereby insinuating that we (Irish farmers) were operating outside the law. TBH I was surprised that it was allowed to happened as I thought Boards.ie were on the ball when it came to potential legal claims.

Speaking from experience I've come to the conclusion that some farmers are no better themselves....... spouting groundless accusations without evidence, No amount of refuting will get through to them saddos either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »

And then they deleted the entire thread father than leave it to show the "movement" in a bad light.
    Still throwing out the line about "innocent " animals any chance they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    And then they deleted the entire thread father than leave it to show the "movement" in a bad light.
    Still throwing out the line about "innocent " animals any chance they get.

I despise that in any walk of life, sticking in baseless adjectives to make your cause seem more righteous or to pull at some heartstrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

People get fed up. From the off, the vegan row reminded me of the drawing about "can't go to bed, there's someone wrong on the internet". It's a pure timesink getting involved with fundamentalist.

Yeah tbf I wouldn't be far behind you with that - that said - though there's a difference between the occasional oddball fundamentalists and being officially sanctioned.

People need to stand to that imo ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Grueller wrote: »
    I actually know those dunes. Nice spot. In your other photo back towards Arklow rock and Tara Hill would have a lot of nice beaches too in Kilpatrick, Kilmichael, Clogga and Saleen.

Some nice beaches further south too, and with dunes (great for out-wintering cattle previously).

IIRC, there was a New Years Day tradition of walking from Cahore to Wexford along the beaches. If I'm right, it would have been a good walk.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah tbf I wouldn't be far behind you with that - that said - though there's a difference between oddball fundamentalists and being officially sanctioned.

People need to stand to that imo ...

In life yeah, on boards no. The difference is the ordinary punter has no say nor value on here.

Mods being deplorably treated isn't a new feature.

You know the saying, pick your battles.

In life yeah, on boards no. The difference is the ordinary punter has no say nor value on here. Mods being deplorably treated isn't a new feature.

You know the saying, pick your battles.

Again. In theory I'd agree with the general sentiment. That said giving a small number carte blanche here is not on. We did. Panch wasn't wrong. This one was won.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

If it's the Dairy and Milk thread you're referencing, it's on page two. We actually wanted it deleted to remove the comparisons from public view.

Adam Grant

Again. I'd agree. That said giving fundamentalists carte blanche is not on
    Panch wasn't wrong. This one was won.

Panch & Buford are both gone, the thread has been deleted and the **** show, no doubt, on the other forum will continue.

This site is the last place I'd fight that battle. You've seen facts and belief collide, and the result of it. The cancel culture and the grave risk of offending anyone is too strong on here.

Panch & Buford are both gone, the thread has been deleted and the **** show, no doubt, on the other forum will continue. This site is the last place I'd fight that battle. You've seen facts and belief collide, and the result of it. The cancel culture and the grave risk of offending anyone is too strong on here.

It wasn’t about a single thread btw. Panch and Buford deserve some serious respect. That crap is no longer enshrined in that charter due in no small part to such representations. The discussion went to helpdesk because posters were being silenced on this issue. All it takes for such crap to be allowed is for others to do nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Some nice beaches further south too, and with dunes

The best beach in wexford is beside the former tallest flagpole in the UK and Ireland.
    If you know, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

jimini0 wrote: »

I've an oul transit van out the back of my house here that some fecker won't come up and take it away. Grand and airy just bring blankets. There's a McDonald's and Supermacs that will cover the two days eating out. The airport not too far away so you can bring her up to watch the planes for a change of scenery.

That's the best I can do horsebox as you cleaned me out last week with your feckin milk replacer and Ann Summers ****e.

I'm on fckin rollies for the rest of the week ta for that.

It wasn’t about a single thread btw. Panch and Buford deserve some serious respect. That crap is no longer enshrined in that charter due in no small part to such representations. The discussion went to helpdesk because posters were being silenced on this issue. All it takes for such crap to be allowed is for others to do nothing...

No one is disrespecting them :confused: I've no intention of visiting the vegan forum, I'd bet that crap will be back, probably not in the charter no, but as I think was argued over there it's acceptable within that thinking so much as Jarry once said, they've not gone away you know.

I'm getting a huge dose of deja vu with a conversation herself and I had over Brian Stanleys comments.

Anyhow, RIP Panch & Buford, hopefully Panch is on another medium also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I've an oul transit van out the back of my house here that some fecker won't come up and take it away. Grand and airy just bring blankets. There's a McDonald's and Supermacs that will cover the two days eating out. The airport not too far away so you can bring her up to watch the planes for a change of scenery.

That's the best I can do horsebox as you cleaned me out last week with your feckin milk replacer and Ann Summers ****e.

I'm on fckin rollies for the rest of the week ta for that.

Don't remember buying the milk replacer. That could have been the Nigerian lad.
    I cant wear the ann summers stuff now anyways cos you stopped that transaction thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I got a text saying my card had been locked, or however they put, as a transaction had been made to a different country. It's a good safety measure!
    I was just thinking.,
    That could in itself be a scam. Tread carefully, don’t follow links to bank via the txt. They set up duplicates.

NEVER confirm details or such from messages like this.
    Only a gom robs a bank with a gun now, the smart bucks in Nigeria,Romania are doing it by fishing for details.

... I'd bet that crap will be back, probably not in the charter no, but as I think was argued over there it's acceptable within that thinking so much as Jarry once said, they've not gone away you know.

Ah here - I think others have already explained it better than I have.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115435648&postcount=267

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jjameson wrote: »
    I was just thinking.,
    That could in itself be a scam. Tread carefully, don’t follow links to bank via the txt. They set up duplicates.

NEVER confirm details or such from messages like this.
    Only a gom robs a bank with a gun now, the smart bucks in Nigeria,Romania are doing it by fishing for details.

Most likely is a scam. People will believe anything seemingly innocent. In the 1979s someone stuck a handwritten note on the front door of an FBI office, “please don’t lock this door tonight’. It worked and they got away with a lot of files.

A reminder that the second part of The Hunger - The Story of the Irish Famine is on after the nine o'clock news tonight on RTE 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Odelay wrote: »
    Most likely is a scam. People will believe anything seemingly innocent. In the 1979s someone stuck a handwritten note on the front door of an FBI office, “please don’t lock this door tonight’. It worked and they got away with a lot of files.

If in doubt just ring your bank. That's what I done. They will be able to confirm it.

Advertisement