Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    No. I was saying to OH this morning that we must be newbies with cows calving :rolleyes:.

It's a nuisance when you buy a cow in the "dry cow ring" and it turns out that she is in calf - you don't know for how long or to what breed. We bought her in September and she went out to grass and was getting meal up until that batch was housed in Oct on a finishing diet. OH noticed that she wasn't laying on flesh so I watched her for a few days and I could see a calf moving. We removed her from the batch into a straw bedded pen and she is like a queen in waiting.

She's on hay and 5kgs of rolled oats & minerals since then. Her vulva is swelling/hanging longer by the day and her elder is starting to fill. On the upside she has quietened down and enjoys a scratch and doesn't mind us feeling her elder.

I'd imagine that a fair percentage of cow's sold as dry turn out to be incalf. A lot of lad's run a bull with the cow's all year round and sell the culls as running with a bull. A few of the bigger grazier's would run a bull with the fattening cow's, they reckoned a pregnant cow done a better thrive for the first few months than an empty one.

There's certain cow buyer's have a knack for picking springers out of the culls. They'd split the team then after calving or you'd see the better outfits back through the suckler ring. The most thing I'd be afraid of was that the cow was culled for having poor calving ability, bad temperament, putting out the calf bed ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Odelay wrote: »

I'm gonna have steak for the next week in revenge...

I murdered several lamb burgers in his honor 2nite;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

For any of ye that maybe interested - the Farmers Journal have a year subscription (+ free bucket that includes a useful diary and other stuff) for €119 today. I bought it a few years ago for OH as a Christmas pressie and find the online paper more useful than buying the physical one. You can look back at previous articles and publications on your laptop.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishFarmersJournal/photos/a.10152485251603835/10160503310988835/

I don't get the paper anymore so I've just signed up. I hope it's worth it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nice breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nice breakfast

Massive !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You'd need that on a day like this.

Jez looking at healthcare renewals and options. I’m sure it’s intentionally over complicated just to confuse punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

straight wrote: »
    I don't get the paper anymore so I've just signed up. I hope it's worth it now.

Ah a paper is nice. A mug of Tay and a rasher sandwich makes a right job..

Jjameson wrote: »
    Ah a paper is nice. A mug of Tay and a rasher sandwich makes a right job..

The tea and rasher sandwich still taste good without the propaganda

_Brian wrote: »
    The tea and rasher sandwich still taste good without the propaganda

Ah I find it entertaining. Killing store cattle this week. The new way to make money small.. and yet the grading was a lot better than anything I’ve achieved to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

NcdJd wrote: »
    Hopefully when he ( i take it ) sees all the responses here to his post he might reconsider closing his account.

Might be better to just take some time out Buford. That vegan forum charter issue was head wrecking and draining. I know you spent a lot of time on it, but you came out of it very well in my opinion. If you've had enough of the modding end of things go back to being a normal poster..

Wouldn't let them have it all their own way, why should you have to go for the sake of a couple of oddball clowns. My advice for what it's worth is take a well earned break and come back in the new year.

Exactly this!! I wouldn't let the (insert expletive of choice here) bully you and allow them win as a consequence!
    Do your own thing for sure but don't let them dictate what it is. They'd be delighted to know they are capable of picking off good and knowledgeable people one by one.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

What sort of turbo nozzle should I be looking for for a Lidl petrol pressure washer :confused: The operating pressure is 180 bar which my converter says is just above 2600psi

What sort of turbo nozzle should I be looking for for a Lidl petrol pressure washer :confused: The operating pressure is 180 bar which my converter says is just above 2600psi

Litres per minute would be important too I’d expect.

While these smaller washers can have a seemingly high psi they lack the water flow of larger washers.

Our small karcher came with a turbo nozzle, honestly it’s only marginally better than the standard Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

While these smaller washers can have a seemingly high psi they lack the water flow of larger washers.

Our small karcher came with a turbo nozzle, honestly it’s only marginally better than the standard Lance.

Someone gave one of the battery powered karchers. It claims to have a similar psi to the electric version. Tbh it wouldn't wash the mud off a ducks arse.

gozunda wrote: »
    Someone gave one of the battery powered karchers. It claims to have a similar psi to the electric version. Tbh it wouldn't wash the mud off a ducks arse.

Pressure is only half the equation when washing. You need water flow too.

Think ours is a K3, it’s handy for washing cars and odd bits round the house. Kids can set it up to wash a car which is a boon.

gozunda wrote: »

Poor little ducky!!

That explosion at the water treatment plant in the U.K. yesterday.

See a 16yo was among the workers on top of the tank who were killed.

Poor lad must have been just after starting an apprenticeship or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jjameson wrote: »
    Poor little ducky!!

Ah its ok - its a self cleaning duck :pac:

Got a Christmas tree today. Kids picked it. Love the Christmas tree smell in the house

Good game so far with Dublin and cavan

• Advertisement

I am planning on doing up an old sheep shed to turn it into a general purpose shed, part of that will be taking rust and old paint of the uprights etc. I figured the handiest way to make a start would be with the power washer. The nozzles I have might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Good game so far with Dublin and cavan
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

:)

Some Dub i am didn't even know the match was on until I saw the post from whelan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That explosion at the water treatment plant in the U.K. yesterday.

See a 16yo was among the workers on top of the tank who were killed.

Poor lad must have been just after starting an apprenticeship or something like that.

I worked in a factory once where they was an explosion. Luckily nobody even injured. One fella was standing just behind a pillar and the flames went both sides of it.
    I arrived in at 8am and everyone was white as a ghost. Scared the hell out of them. For weeks after, people would jump at the slightest bang, like someone dropping something.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Got a Christmas tree today. Kids picked it. Love the Christmas tree smell in the house

Same here today. Love a real tree, mind you I hate putting it up!

Just finished watching The Sacred Cow, while I knew the info that would be in it, I have to say it's a tonic nonetheless watching more and more films like these. The water infiltration display is always such a biggie, how land is managed = how water behaves on it. I was happy to see Joel Salatin feature, while there are a lot of top figures in regen ag I alway find when I need an injection of pure enthusiasm, Salatin is just the right speaker for giving it. The best part of the film for me had to be the few mini interviews with farmers from all across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Hi all, didn't quite know where to post this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Just a quick post here, my last in fact, to let you know I'll be closing my account tomorrow.

I suppose I must acknowledge that you lot are the nicest bunch of strangers I've never met:D. It's been my absolute pleasure to be moderating you here with the three lads these last few years. We've had our ups and downs but you've made what could have been a difficult job a most rewarding experience for me. We've worked through our best and worst moments and helped and supported each other and it's stuff like that that I'll remember about you:) We were never afraid of feedback from you and you were never shy about giving it to us if you felt we were handling a situation incorrectly so we had to be on our toes to make the correct decisions every time.

I know I'll be leaving you in great hands here, the three lads I was helping here are absolutely top notch, the soundest lads you could hope to meet so I have no fear of walking away.

All I can say is we tried our hardest to represent you as best we could but anything that's been achieved here this last fortnight is all down to you and you alone. There are so many aspects to this dispute that I didn't agree with and still don't agree with that it would take me hours to put it down again. Suffice to say that I think you have been treated badly here and I refuse to support a site that not only refuses to recognise that but doesn't even acknowledge that, never mind apologise to you for doing so.

Many of you have been carded and banned over this while worse breaches were ignored, it's there in black and white for all to see. Any sanction you have received from me here has been orders of magnitude less that what's being ignored so all I can say is I'm deeply sorry to any of you that I've sanctioned here.

I cannot stand over any of those sanctions so feel free to contact your Cmods to get those reversed, they are unjust and you deserve to have them removed from your records.

So that's about it, folks, it's been an honour and a privilege to have posted here with you and I take nothing but fond memories of you with me.

Buford T. Justice XIX:)

Gutted, what an absolute gent? Apologies for missing completely what happened here...can't imagine the place without Buford....while the rest of us would bark back with sharp answers, this man always had the kind and gentle approach...😪😪

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Hi all, didn't quite know where to post this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Just a quick post here, my last in fact, to let you know I'll be closing my account tomorrow.

I suppose I must acknowledge that you lot are the nicest bunch of strangers I've never met:D. It's been my absolute pleasure to be moderating you here with the three lads these last few years. We've had our ups and downs but you've made what could have been a difficult job a most rewarding experience for me. We've worked through our best and worst moments and helped and supported each other and it's stuff like that that I'll remember about you:) We were never afraid of feedback from you and you were never shy about giving it to us if you felt we were handling a situation incorrectly so we had to be on our toes to make the correct decisions every time.

I know I'll be leaving you in great hands here, the three lads I was helping here are absolutely top notch, the soundest lads you could hope to meet so I have no fear of walking away.

All I can say is we tried our hardest to represent you as best we could but anything that's been achieved here this last fortnight is all down to you and you alone. There are so many aspects to this dispute that I didn't agree with and still don't agree with that it would take me hours to put it down again. Suffice to say that I think you have been treated badly here and I refuse to support a site that not only refuses to recognise that but doesn't even acknowledge that, never mind apologise to you for doing so.

Many of you have been carded and banned over this while worse breaches were ignored, it's there in black and white for all to see. Any sanction you have received from me here has been orders of magnitude less that what's being ignored so all I can say is I'm deeply sorry to any of you that I've sanctioned here.

I cannot stand over any of those sanctions so feel free to contact your Cmods to get those reversed, they are unjust and you deserve to have them removed from your records.

So that's about it, folks, it's been an honour and a privilege to have posted here with you and I take nothing but fond memories of you with me.

Buford T. Justice XIX:)

Teardrop emoji.

Enjoy your reincarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

That would be a great first post to a new thread on discussing the current global attempts by corporations and environmental lobby groups to centralise or dictate what people should eat, the calling out of misinformation etc..

Hint Say My Name. I don't think I'd get the thread title right. Im not very coherent as my boss once said to me. But it would be nice to have a thread where posters can reference and go to for information :D

Advertisement