Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supply and fit of new cubicles

Options
  • 18-10-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭

Hoping to replace cubicles next march at turnout (or may depending on weather). Cubicle shed currently has 13 at each side but they are a little narrow so would like prob 11
    each side.

Wall hung is preferable. One side is mass concrete at the side of the old silage slab so I assume no problem. Other side is Cinder block. Can you do wall mount on cinder block wall? There are two steel pillars over the length.

1) Any recommendations for supply and fit. Ideally I just want the entire job done by the one outfit.

2) Can wall mount be executed on cinder block wall?

3) If going floor mounted does the existing floor need to be ripped out? or can it be bolted on some way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

893bet wrote: »
    Hoping to replace cubicles next march at turnout (or may depending on weather). Cubicle shed currently has 13 at each side but they are a little narrow so would like prob 11
    each side.

Wall hung is preferable. One side is mass concrete at the side of the old silage slab so I assume no problem. Other side is Cinder block. Can you do wall mount on cinder block wall? There are two steel pillars over the length.

1) Any recommendations for supply and fit. Ideally I just want the entire job done by the one outfit.

2) Can wall mount be executed on cinder block wall?

3) If going floor mounted does the existing floor need to be ripped out? or can it be bolted on some way?

An idea what part of the country you're in would be a help, 893?:)

On the floor mounting, you would be able to bolt them onto the floor once you have cut the cubicle legs to the correct length and welded some flatiron onto them but they will loosen quickly as they won't have the support of the 3 or 4 inches that were cut off going into the concrete for stability.

We repaired a few cubicles last year that had been concreted in first day. Cut out a square around where the legs are going and get a mini digger and rockbreaker in to dig them out. Mix a small bit of concrete and stand the cubicle into the hole and fill it and move to the next one.

Slow job for a lot of cubicles but pretty cheap compared to digging out the whole bed and repouring the concrete around them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Limerick area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If you not able to use wall mounted the next best thing is mushroom cubicles as the one bigger hole will do the 2 legs and you have a greater.mass.of.
    Fresh concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ring up some of the cubicle manufacturers and they'll give you names of ppl that sell and fit there cubicles in your area
    Alot of the milking machine guys sell and fit

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

All you need is a post in every few cubicles. You can add to shed rsj to half the posts u need.

Mine need changed soon too and I like cleaning the hanging cubicals .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I would avoid wall mounted cubicles. Next to impossible to keep tight I find. Hilti bolts originally but all replaced with threaded bar straight through. I also would avoid the mushroom type, have a line of them here and cows can get caught in them, they wedge themselves in and it's a mess. Post mounted like the pic above is the best I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Limerick area.

Give odonnell engineering emly a call, they will sort you for the block wall as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

What kind of money are the precast beds costing?

Any reason not to use them?

Still mulling this over.

There are 4 runs, 11, 11, 8, 7. One the 11 could be wall hung (quoted 1k for supply and fit). The rest will be much more tricky as they can’t be wall hung.

Neighbour replace floor ones recently and used a core bit to drill out the floor and it was straight forward enough. Tempted to go at it. Will end up spending 3.5k plus to get some one into supply and fit. Maybe more unless I do the digging for them for putting in posts etc.

Why not buy second hand ones (or even new as they can’t be that dear) and go at it for a week. Prob cost less that 300 if went second hand or less that 1200 if went new. And floor mount are far better than wall in any case.

Don’t mind a bit of hard work as long as the job is done right.

And sher hardship is always welcome....

Made a start. No going back now.
    Forgot take a proper before picture. That is one of sides as it stands. A lot of cubicles missing. This is a job that needed doing 5 years ago.
    2198-F56-C-CC76-476-F-B97-B-CEA26644-FF97.jpg

8-C7-D3186-2-E55-4219-A35-E-CABB3-E7-A3-AE5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Interested to see your progress here 893 as I have 48 on 4 beds here that are completely banjaxed. The beds are in bad need of repair too. I think a couple of days with a welder, grinder, breaker on a mini digger and a mixer will have to do this year as I have a full upgrade of cubicle housing planned for next year. Funds don't allow this year.

Grueller wrote: »
    Interested to see your progress here 893 as I have 48 on 4 beds here that are completely banjaxed. The beds are in bad need of repair too. I think a couple of days with a welder, grinder, breaker on a mini digger and a mixer will have to do this year as I have a full upgrade of cubicle housing planned for next year. Funds don't allow this year.

Beds are not too bad. Gonna leave them alone anyway. Have a fella coming to look at it during the week. One side is silage pit all so can be hung straight off. He said over the phone putting in a post and rail
    will be a better job. Not just why.

Other side has to be post and rail type as it’s a cinder block wall. So all that will be have to dug is a few holes for posts.

If I could have gotten good quality second hand ones I might have put them all in the floor myself with a core bit or similar. Would have been hard work but satisfying. All that’s for sale second hand is rubbish like I am taking out. If buying new floor one they were gonna cost around 60 percent of getting post and rail put in for me. And T least 80 percent less of my time which is the deciding factor with a full time off farm job and 6-12 hours commute a week depending on how many days I go on site into work.

I have a second shed to replace all cubicles in also! Prob a job for next year depending on how this one goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Made a start. No going back now.
    Forgot take a proper before picture. That is one of sides as it stands. A lot of cubicles missing. This is a job that needed doing 5 years ago.
    2198-F56-C-CC76-476-F-B97-B-CEA26644-FF97.jpg

8-C7-D3186-2-E55-4219-A35-E-CABB3-E7-A3-AE5.jpg

What are you going doing

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Yea keep us posted on the outcome. The post and rail I have are far superior to the ones ur taking out. Have a few to replace here with post and rail type. You can then go for the roll of matting which is superior to individual mats if u like.

satstheway wrote: »
    Yea keep us posted on the outcome. The post and rail I have are far superior to the ones ur taking out. Have a few to replace here with post and rail type. You can then go for the roll of matting which is superior to individual mats if u like.

Never used matting before. We had two cows with maistitis this winter and one, a lovely young heifer, quiet as a lamp and bred a lovely first calf last year. She is not blessed with milk and now with that quarter badly damaged she will likely get the road. I am putting it down to them lying in **** on the cubicles as there was no keeping them clean the way they were.

K.G. wrote: »
    What are you going doing

Post and rail cubicles at each side. There are 13 cubicles each side but going to make them wider and put back in 10-11. They were too narrow day one and the cows are bigger than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

Post and rail cubicles at each side. There are 13 cubicles each side but going to make them wider and put back in 10-11. They were too narrow day one and the cows are bigger than ever.

With the legs gone now, you're new cubicles will be sharing space with the neighbouring cow. You'd be dead safe with 12 cubicles. Too wide is a bad job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you putting in rigid ones or those which have a bit of flex in them?

Job done! Hope you like my patented method making the poles plumb.

I dug the holes and sank the poles. Company did the rest. Not a cheap job but hopefully last my lifetime.

Trying to get some of the bastards to lie down in them and not the shite is a challenge.

any advice? Have concrete blocks placed around the place but to no avail to some smaller cattle thst can squeeze a lying spot on a sixpence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

Plenty of tyres. Either that or don't scrape it for a few days

Hadnt thought of using tyres! Was using blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You need to get mats in now. What incentive is there to lie up on hard concrete wedged between 2 iron loops when they can just lie on the hard concrete in center passage with loads of room around them!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Funds not there for mats this year but considering it for next year.

He’s I have this done. And most cows are playing ball. Even some of the biggest cows (circa 800 kg unfatten sucklers) are lying in there. It’s a few smaller ones that’s taking the piss.

Some people shake a bit of meal at the front on the bed. You'd pick up second hand mats cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Can you lock your cows into the cubicle house. Could work over a few days. Give 2 hrs twice a day to grub and then lock into the house. Fill the passageway with tyres or put auto scrapers on ever hour. sooner or later the majority will get the idea. You will always have one or 2 which won't lie up

I worked on a farm that did that and came out in the morning to a dead cow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭green daries

Mats would be great but for this year could you section off a bay fill it with solid trees and a few blocks even you only need to put the few that Don't lie up in that section for a few days also many years ago when I was a niper we used tie up the heifers for two weeks and feed them in the cubicles hard slow work ......it's probably illegal now

Advertisement