Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money when starting new job?

Options
2»

Comments

By the way,

Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OP does have savings. In the credit union. She already explained this. Not that she has to explain anything.

Savings that you cannot access don't count as savings. (It's actually financially illiterate to be borrowing against savings, but that's a discussion for another day.)

Given the slowness of the welfare system in this country, adults should have enough cash to live on for three months available at call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just a thought on the college fees, did you investigate the Susi grant? Not sure how it works if someone is on the Covid payment etc. but worth looking into.

Savings that you cannot access don't count as savings. (It's actually financially illiterate to be borrowing against savings, but that's a discussion for another day.)

Given the slowness of the welfare system in this country, adults should have enough cash to live on for three months available at call.

I honestly think this discussion of the OPs savings habits is unfair and inappropriate.

They asked for advice on how to get over a gap month between their last job and their new job, not to be questioned or lectured on their saving habits.

I honestly think this discussion of the OPs savings habits is unfair and inappropriate.

They asked for advice on how to get over a gap month between their last job and their new job, not to be questioned or lectured on their saving habits.

I do semi-agree with you, in that the thread was wandered off in a bit of a different direction. However, the OPs question has pretty much been answered as best as it can be.

The discussion so far seems quite well intentioned and perhaps helpful to many who may just click in from the main page and browse through. So long as it doesn't disintegrate into "LOL @ OP 4 n0t saven" nonsense, it's an interesting discussion.

I don't think many people are trying to take shots at the OP at all for needing a few Euro. We've all been there, and at the moment thousands of people are one Government decision away from being unemployed, so it's not like people are sneering at the OP (or at least that's not the tone that I'm getting from the thread, anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Sadb wrote: »
    It was a low paid job in the retail industry, so we were never flush anyway. I also just paid fees etc for two of my children in college. Dh is out of work due to covid so is getting the €300 per week but that barely covers our mortgage.

I do have a few thousand saved but it’s in the credit union that I can’t access because of the car loan.

You don't need to explain yourself really. Hope you find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

wench wrote: »
    They said the job doesn't start until November, so it is still worth applying.

You're right, I misread the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TrackerThesoy

Hi! How are you doing now? Have you managed to get the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Ignore, i didn't see the date of the original comment.

Call your bank or credit union... whomever you have a loan with and explain the situation and ask for a month's payment holiday. If you have a good credit history, they should agree to it. Ask the credit union if you can get a short term loan to help bridge the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like constructive dismissal , talk to a solicitor. Couid be a nice payday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thread is 3 years old, fam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

Yes; I think OP have resolved their issue one way or the other at this point. @TrackerThesoy if you want advise on the topic I'd recommend opening a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement